Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reminding Recommender  (Read 2045 times)

maggiemoo

Reminding Recommender
« on: September 16, 2004, 05:18:46 PM »
How long should I wait to remind him? I met with him on August 30th and gave him a deadline of September 30th. It's been about three weeks since we met. I don't want to be a pest but when is a good time to give him a friendly reminder? Two weeks before it's due (today) or a week before it's due (next week)? I'm becoming so OCD about recs bc I've had people agree and then bail and never to be heard from again. Thanks for the input guys.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Reminding Recommender
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 05:23:40 PM »
I'd send a thank you card now, so he'll get it in a day or so. (or drop it by his/her office).  That way, you're doing the polite thing by thanking him with an actual card, and it also serves as a reminder to get off his ass and write it if he hasn't already.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »
Or leave a flaming bag of dog poo on his front doorstep, ring the bell, and run away.  It may not remind him to write your LOR, but it will get him off his ass.

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:55:23 PM »
I don't see why you need to remind him terribly soon...you gave him a due date and its nowhere near that date.  Two weeks is plenty of headsup for a recomender, if you really wanted it sent out this week, should've said this week.  I'd wait until 4 days before the due date you gave him/her...and honestly, I'd personally wait until two days before.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 06:06:10 PM »
I felt this way with my recommender and just followed up by asking if I should pick up the recommendation or will they be sending it directly?  This gives them a little reminder without being an ass.  But I like the thank you card.  It may be a bit presumptive.  They may give you a horrible recommendation. Probably not though.

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 06:16:14 PM »
How long should I wait to remind him? I met with him on August 30th and gave him a deadline of September 30th. It's been about three weeks since we met. I don't want to be a pest but when is a good time to give him a friendly reminder? Two weeks before it's due (today) or a week before it's due (next week)? I'm becoming so OCD about recs bc I've had people agree and then bail and never to be heard from again. Thanks for the input guys.

i had this same problem as well; thus i ended up just blanketing 3-4 people with LSAC rec forms and figured at least two would submit in a timely fashion and that i would leave it at that

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 08:32:02 PM »
Well, my feeling on this was that I waived my right to access the rec, so I won't see what they wrote anyway.  I asked people who I felt would give me a good rec, and they all affirmed that they could right me a positive rec.  So since they agreed to write it, said it would be good, and I wouldn't know any different since I waived my right of access, I may as well thank them for agreeing to write it anyway.

But I like the thank you card.  It may be a bit presumptive.  They may give you a horrible recommendation. Probably not though.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 04:07:49 AM »
How does your recommender know you waived your right?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

brothernads

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 07:34:49 AM »

When you sign the LSAC or school-specific Recommendation form you give to the recommender, you have to indicate whether or not you waive your right to see the recommendation.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 10:40:03 PM »

When you sign the LSAC or school-specific Recommendation form you give to the recommender, you have to indicate whether or not you waive your right to see the recommendation.

Everyone has to sign the form.  There is no specific rule that says I can waive my right or not waive it.  This in on the general LOR form.  It's not a choice they way LSAC presents it.  So, where is explicitly stated to the recommender that I have waived my right?  In only says it in the pparagraph underwhich I sign, and If I don't sign it, it will not be processed, so I sm waiving my right only in the sense that I have to in order to sign it.  Or, should I really just not sign it?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..