Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will we at least be notified about our position on the Waitlist?  (Read 1628 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have heard the some schools do not bother to even notify their waitlisters that there are not any open seats. Is this true?  I think law schools should have the decency to notify us, right?

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
Re: Will we at least be notified about our position on the Waitlist?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 09:35:29 AM »
I think this is true, in some cases.  I have heard of people being "waitlisted into oblivion."  In other cases, not true.  I am a waitlist at Maryland, and I confirmed with them a few times that I would receive notice if rejected.(Although they were not specific about the timing.)

Although I'm with you in that schools should notify, to be fair they are sometimes placed in a difficult situation when someone withdraws at the last minute (or even after orientation).  In such cases, they would need a list of people to call on.  An extensive list at that, because the chances that someone would duly oblige to such a call that late in the game would definitely be remote.   

Nancy Reagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
I am in wait list limbo at 4 schools - all of the schools to which I applied (late).  Realistically, what are the odds of being admitted at this late date? I am sure it varies by school and situation, but is there really any hope - or should I just move on and make other plans?

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »
I am in wait list limbo at 4 schools - all of the schools to which I applied (late).  Realistically, what are the odds of being admitted at this late date? I am sure it varies by school and situation, but is there really any hope - or should I just move on and make other plans?

You are right - it depends on the schools and the situation. 

Do you know if you are on the "preferred" or "priority" list at any of the schools?  Have you thought about sending letters of continued interest / additional LORs / updated resumes, or visiting?  In my limited experience, schools don't randomly pick the "best" applicants from the waitlist - they don't want to waste their energy contacting loads of people for one open spot.  So it should help to let them know you're still interested.  And many people are withdrawing now because it's deposit payment time - so I wouldn't lose all hope. 

Nancy Reagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »

You are right - it depends on the schools and the situation. 

Do you know if you are on the "preferred" or "priority" list at any of the schools?  Have you thought about sending letters of continued interest / additional LORs / updated resumes, or visiting?  In my limited experience, schools don't randomly pick the "best" applicants from the waitlist - they don't want to waste their energy contacting loads of people for one open spot.  So it should help to let them know you're still interested.  And many people are withdrawing now because it's deposit payment time - so I wouldn't lose all hope. 

Thank you so much for your advice; I appreciate it. 

I don't know if I am on a better list or worse list or if these schools have more than one, but on Monday I will arrange to visit each and do a bit of campaigning. I don't really have anything substantive to add with regard to my resume (it is already long - I'm 36) or letters. SO, hopefully, showing up looking professional and presentable coupled with some enthusiasm for the school will be sufficient. I will of course follow up with a "thank you" and "loved the school" letter.

Any suggestions on what types of remarks or questions I should slip in during my visit would also be greatly appreciated.

Nancy Reagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:32:40 PM »
I have heard the some schools do not bother to even notify their waitlisters that there are not any open seats. Is this true?  I think law schools should have the decency to notify us, right?

Thanks for starting this thread.  I wouldn't have known this! Yeesh, I hope it isn't true!!

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:54:14 PM »

Thank you so much for your advice; I appreciate it. 

I don't know if I am on a better list or worse list or if these schools have more than one, but on Monday I will arrange to visit each and do a bit of campaigning. I don't really have anything substantive to add with regard to my resume (it is already long - I'm 36) or letters. SO, hopefully, showing up looking professional and presentable coupled with some enthusiasm for the school will be sufficient. I will of course follow up with a "thank you" and "loved the school" letter.

Any suggestions on what types of remarks or questions I should slip in during my visit would also be greatly appreciated.

Other than not asking the really basic questions to which answers are available on the school's website, I don't have any real suggestions.  Advice I did find helpful somewhere on this site was that you should start with visiting your least, or less preferred schools, and work your way to your top choice.  You then develop a good understanding of the right questions to ask, what not to ask, and the right people to direct questions at, along the way.  And comparing the schools will no doubt help you spot things you wouldn't have done in your earlier visits.  Good luck!       

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 12:14:47 AM »
I am on 6 waitlists and I am really hoping to get off at least one of them...anyone know someone who has gotten off a WL in the past and what they did to get off it? What actually works?
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »
I am on 6 waitlists and I am really hoping to get off at least one of them...anyone know someone who has gotten off a WL in the past and what they did to get off it? What actually works?

baruch ata '', eloheinu melech ha'olam...

:D

?!??
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Nancy Reagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Superrob!

If we have recently returned the "yes, keep me on the list" card, should we also send a LOCI? Or, is that an annoying overkill?