Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which Summer Conditional Program Would You Choose?

Nova Southeastern University
 24 (80%)
St. Thomas University
 6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll For a Friend (please donate 2 cents)  (Read 661 times)

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Poll For a Friend (please donate 2 cents)
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »
A friend of mine is deciding between these two summer conditional programs. 

NOVA is 6 weeks long with two classes (Negotiable Instruments and Criminal Procedure).  A 2.5 GPA guarantees a spot in the Fall 2007 Full Time program.  Cost is $3,500.

ST. THOMAS is 3 weeks long with 3 classes, each lasting a week (Torts, Contracts and Civil Procedure).  Placement in the top 20% guarantees a spot in the Fall 2007 Full Time program.  Cost is $1,500.

The two programs overlap, so both cannot be taken.

If you know anything about either program, please post.  My friend doesn't "do" these websites, so I'm helping her out. 

Thank you!  :)

EDIT If you open this thread, please just vote, even if it's only based on the information posted.
Hofstra '10

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
Re: Poll For a Friend (please donate 2 cents)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:31:29 AM »
Based on this information alone and nothing else, I would say NOVA.  I don't know about the specifics of how NOVA would grade, but it seems like much more of a gamble to count on being in the top 20% than to count on getting at least a 2.5.

Does placement anywhere other than 20% give a shot at admission, or is that the cutoff?

Slow Children At Play

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
Based on this information alone and nothing else, I would say NOVA.  I don't know about the specifics of how NOVA would grade, but it seems like much more of a gamble to count on being in the top 20% than to count on getting at least a 2.5.

Agreed --^
Attending: HLS 2010... boo ya!
In: HLS, CLS(W), NYU(W), UMich(W), UVA(W), Berkeley(W), NWestern(W), Duke(W), ND(W), G-Town(W)
Waitlisted: YLS, UPenn (W), SLS (W)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=SlowChildrenAtPlay

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »

Does placement anywhere other than 20% give a shot at admission, or is that the cutoff?

I understand that to be the cutoff.
Hofstra '10

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:56 AM »

I'd agree and say too large of a gamble; pick NOVA, HOVA

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:41:09 AM »

I'd agree and say too large of a gamble; pick NOVA, HOVA

I agree.  N to the IZZO, V to the IZZAY.
Hofstra '10

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:47:14 AM »
I voted Nova for the same reason. Not knowing how smart/disciplined your friend is, it's hard to gamble on a 20% chance.

(Also voted not knowing anything about the two schools in question.)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »
According to http://aample.nsulaw.nova.edu/about/index.cfm:

This is a challenging program and success is by no means guaranteed. Only about 20% - 50% of past AAMPLEŽ students have been successful in the program. The success rate varies each year, we cannot guarantee how many will be successful in a given year. Success was defined as achieving a 2.25 or higher cumulative G.P.A. for the years of 2001-2004. Success is defined as achieving a 2.5 cumulative G.P.A or higher and both grades of a C or better in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

So the chances may not be that much higher...

It's a gamble either way, and I'd say your friend should make the decision based on which school she thinks would be best for her if she was admitted after the program.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Soft Factors

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
According to http://aample.nsulaw.nova.edu/about/index.cfm:

This is a challenging program and success is by no means guaranteed. Only about 20% - 50% of past AAMPLEŽ students have been successful in the program. The success rate varies each year, we cannot guarantee how many will be successful in a given year. Success was defined as achieving a 2.25 or higher cumulative G.P.A. for the years of 2001-2004. Success is defined as achieving a 2.5 cumulative G.P.A or higher and both grades of a C or better in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

So the chances may not be that much higher...

It's a gamble either way, and I'd say your friend should make the decision based on which school she thinks would be best for her if she was admitted after the program.

Thank you.  I certainly agree with that last part.
Hofstra '10

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with this. Find out what the curve is... I'll be the curve at Nova is not lower than 2.5, meaning that there is a much better chance of getting that score than the top-20% at St.T...

Right?
VIP.