Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How well does BU place outside of Boston?  (Read 6026 times)

moo cow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How well does BU place outside of Boston?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
BU stopped ranking last year.  also, they still tell us who is in the top 10% (but only top 10%)
Any idea how employers react to this? Do they know the grade curve so they at least have something to compare students to on OCI?

A lot of (good) schools don't rank. The firms seem to manage.

well, i think firms know that we have about a 3.3 mean.  as i said, i have a friend with a 3.25/on a journal that has a big law jobs.  i have a friend with a 2.9 having some trouble finding jobs.  firms are fighting over my friends who have 3.5+.  anything from 3.2-something + on a journal after first year and firms treat you seriously...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:31 AM »
Well, it's not like they have a choice, so of course they'll manage. Doesn't really mean they like it.

I would assume this might also make it a tad bit diffcult for the medium graded group to find employment? I mean, the top group is going to stand out as long as you have a grade curve; like you say, anyone with 3.5 has a lot of jobs to chose from, and equally the bottom group is always going to be, well, identified. But it seems to me it might be a tad bit difficult to classify the middle group, say the 2.9 - 3.2 group of candidates.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
Well, it's not like they have a choice, so of course they'll manage. Doesn't really mean they like it.

I would assume this might also make it a tad bit diffcult for the medium graded group to find employment? I mean, the top group is going to stand out as long as you have a grade curve; like you say, anyone with 3.5 has a lot of jobs to chose from, and equally the bottom group is always going to be, well, identified. But it seems to me it might be a tad bit difficult to classify the middle group, say the 2.9 - 3.2 group of candidates.

Not really. At at top-ranked school... lets say Penn, the fact that they don't rank or have a GPA doesn't seem to affect ANYONE. Now, the further down the ladder you go, the more grades and rank matter, and the less often you see schools that don't offer this...

Graduates from top schools are so in-demand that firms would rather hire their middle-of-the-class students than ranked students from elsewhere.
VIP.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
I feel like the other people in this thread besides KeNo are trying to make BU into something it is not.  BU is very good law school.  It is not a top 5, top 10, or top 20 law school though.  So to suggest that it places at big law in NYC (the most freaking competitive market for big law) at a rate equal to or higher than NYU, Columbia, and other top law schools in the area is RIDICILOUS. Do well and you have a good shot at big law in New York city.  Do not think you are guaranteed anything at even top 25% though.  It is a very competitive market and while BU does more than hold its own, it is still lower on the totem pole than the much higher ranking schools. Quite frankly it could be that the 25% or so that end up in New York are the BOTTOM 25% and they are stuck in the crappier jobs.  While not likely, it is just as possible as anything else other people are trying to divine from these statistics.

I am a BU law student about to graduate. I thought I would jump in here adn defend some of the things being said. First, I agree that some of the posters on here are making my school out to be a little better at NYC BIGLAW placement than it is; generally, the top 15% at BU will be able to get BIGLAW in NYC. Top 50% will get a position at one of the countless firms in NYC, but again, only around the top 15% of so will be able to get a job at the top firms in NYC. We are not NYU or Columbia and our placement is nothing near top 1/3 for NYC BIGLAW. In Boston, top 1/3 will get you a position at one of the bigger firm and top 20% will usually get you a position at one of the top firms.

Outside of Boston, we don't do nearly as well as you would do at a local school. Please don't come to BU thinking that we place well nationally; you have to do really well to get a BIGLAW job in a non-Boston market, and I hate the 1Ls that come in thinking they are entitled to a job. My mentee thought he was entitled to a job until he went through recruiting and reality set in. Fact of the matter is that only those at the top 5 schools are going to get BIGLAW no matter where they place, at BU, you have to do well.

Finally, if you want NYC, go to Fordham. We do not place nearly as well in NYC as Fordam. You should always go to a local school if you can.

boulevardier

• Sr. Citizen
  • Chicago!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »
Top 6 and by that I mean Yale, Harvard, Stanfard, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (not UPenn regardless of USNWR and despite it being a great school).  Even there grades matter.

I feel like the other people in this thread besides KeNo are trying to make BU into something it is not.  BU is very good law school.  It is not a top 5, top 10, or top 20 law school though.  So to suggest that it places at big law in NYC (the most freaking competitive market for big law) at a rate equal to or higher than NYU, Columbia, and other top law schools in the area is RIDICILOUS. Do well and you have a good shot at big law in New York city.  Do not think you are guaranteed anything at even top 25% though.  It is a very competitive market and while BU does more than hold its own, it is still lower on the totem pole than the much higher ranking schools. Quite frankly it could be that the 25% or so that end up in New York are the BOTTOM 25% and they are stuck in the crappier jobs.  While not likely, it is just as possible as anything else other people are trying to divine from these statistics.

I am a BU law student about to graduate. I thought I would jump in here adn defend some of the things being said. First, I agree that some of the posters on here are making my school out to be a little better at NYC BIGLAW placement than it is; generally, the top 15% at BU will be able to get BIGLAW in NYC. Top 50% will get a position at one of the countless firms in NYC, but again, only around the top 15% of so will be able to get a job at the top firms in NYC. We are not NYU or Columbia and our placement is nothing near top 1/3 for NYC BIGLAW. In Boston, top 1/3 will get you a position at one of the bigger firm and top 20% will usually get you a position at one of the top firms.

Outside of Boston, we don't do nearly as well as you would do at a local school. Please don't come to BU thinking that we place well nationally; you have to do really well to get a BIGLAW job in a non-Boston market, and I hate the 1Ls that come in thinking they are entitled to a job. My mentee thought he was entitled to a job until he went through recruiting and reality set in. Fact of the matter is that only those at the top 5 schools are going to get BIGLAW no matter where they place, at BU, you have to do well.

Finally, if you want NYC, go to Fordham. We do not place nearly as well in NYC as Fordam. You should always go to a local school if you can.

Being a boulevardier is an ancillary bullsh*t occupation that must feed off a core job that produces income. premier boulevardier of our time, George Hamilton, acts to support his tan and his bon vivant lifestyle...

The upside: Barry Diller always says hello.

The dark side: Skin cancer.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »

Approximate BIGLAW in vault numbers please, because I think we are on a slightly different page here.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »
Not really. At at top-ranked school... lets say Penn, the fact that they don't rank or have a GPA doesn't seem to affect ANYONE. Now, the further down the ladder you go, the more grades and rank matter, and the less often you see schools that don't offer this...

Graduates from top schools are so in-demand that firms would rather hire their middle-of-the-class students than ranked students from elsewhere.

That's really not true. If your simply talking about "getting a V100 job", you're probably right, it doesn't matter where you end up. But, as one would assume, if you are ambitious and in a top law school, you're probably not satisfied with just getting any v100 job. And if you believe Wachtell and Cravath do not care about the class rank, even from Harvard or Columbia, you are severely mistaken. Take a look at the recent graduates working at Wachtell for example. Even the ones from very top schools have resume-candy to add to their JD; law review, moot court, summa cum laude graduation etc.

Ranks do matter, whether you go to #1 or #93. You can easily argue that a low class rank has less severe consequences the better the school is, that is most certainly true. But firm, at least the very top ones most people dream to work for, they care.

The consequence for a school not ranking, which usually means the top 10% are identified and the rest is a muddle, just means there will be an artificially large step between those who are top 10%, and those who are not.This is pretty bad if you happen to be in at the 11%.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »
First, if you are coming to BU, forget Watchel; we do not get jobs there. Thats no necessarily a bad thing. The top students at BU usually end up at good firms, but not that one.

Second, when I talk about BIGLAW, I mean AMLaw 100 and Vault 100 firms. I generally think of the AM Law 100, hence why we call it BIGLAW; vault is also pretty biased toward the East Coast so not a very accurate ranking system. Taken together, however, these are the top firms in the country and thus this si what I mean when I talk about BGILAW.

Finally, grades matter even at the top schools. I  have met law students NYU in the bottom half of their class without jobs after graduation. It is less of an issue, but it happens even at the top schools.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
Well, Vault is biased towards east coast because the legal business is mainly located there as well. Not saying there aren't BigLaw firms elsewhere, but the main corporate hub of America is NYC, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Wachtell was really just used as a example, as they're widely considered to be the most selective firm. But you're right, they pretty much exclusively hire for HYSCCYP, and then they show up at Howard for political correctness. Still, as you say, BU places good in Big Law, including NYC, and very well in Boston. And it seems to me that Boston has a quite competent legal market as well, so that's not a bad place to end up.