Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How well does BU place outside of Boston?  (Read 5901 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: How well does BU place outside of Boston?
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »
for what it's worth, princeton review puts us among the top 10 schools for best career prospects.  actually, here's the list in case you're curious:  northwestern, chicago, michigan, harvard, NYU, Penn, Notre Dame, BU, UVA and GW.  so don't worry about your NY career prospects coming here.  :) 

yeah ... yale is definitely not in the top ten for career prospects.

I'm not knocking BU ... I believe that it places great in Bos/ NYC/ DC.  But I do hate Princeton Review.  It has become the cooley of admissions advice companies, and is not to be trusted.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »
That Anthony Ci-something guy from XOXO in his fantastic report listed Yale on an 8th in job placement or so, maybe Yale's just overrated *shrug* :)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:14 PM »
That study is, I believe, biglaw only.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 08:59:54 PM »
Yes, that's correct, but it's still weird imo. Although I guess it depends on how you look at the numbers, but if it should have any meaning it needs to look on the "per capita" chance of Big Law employment, not punish a school because graduates go elsewhere because of self-selection. I find it very hard to believe NYC BigLaw would prefer Northwestern grads over Yale grads...

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
Yes, that's correct, but it's still weird imo. Although I guess it depends on how you look at the numbers, but if it should have any meaning it needs to look on the "per capita" chance of Big Law employment, not punish a school because graduates go elsewhere because of self-selection. I find it very hard to believe NYC BigLaw would prefer Northwestern grads over Yale grads...

Yale employment numbers "suffer" from the insane quantities of students that go into academia/government jobs.

Yale graduates suffer from the H/P/F grading system used.  If you had actually read the study, it goes into great detail on why...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
Yet again, you completely miss the point of what I'm writing - and I assume you do it on purpose to try to prove a point of some kind. Either way, it's getting old.

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »
BU places quite well in NYC in my experience. I haven't interrogated anyone on their class ranks, but I work in the city and I seem to know a dispropotionate number of BU grads, probably right behind New York schools and a couple of East Coast T14s. I'm not sure how they do in DC though.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
Yet again, you completely miss the point of what I'm writing - and I assume you do it on purpose to try to prove a point of some kind. Either way, it's getting old.

From what I read, your point was as follows: Yale grads should place as at least as well as the other top schools, but are hurt by grads doing non-firm things.

I first partially agreed with you.  I then noted another reason why Yale does not place in the elite firms as well as the other top schools, a topic that was covered in great detail in the study you said you had read.

I will explain it better for you...

Elite firms want the top students from the top schools.  These firms would rather have the top NW students than the bottom Yale students.  When a NW student applies the employer can see a measurable grade and a rank, the employer knows how well this student did in school.  The Yale student then applies, and the employer is presented with one H and the rest Ps.  The employer has no idea what this data means.  The employer knows what they is getting with the NW grad, but not what they are getting with the Yale grad.  Hence Yale is hurt in their elite firm placement...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
Yes, I do see your point with the grading system... and yes I know how the report was constructed, what I kinda meant to say is that I'd rather see a report that reflects employment opportunities rather than actual employment...

What I have in mind is something like what are the chances of a Yale graduate versus a Northwestern graduate to get a job at Wachtell for example. Not taking into consideration what the graduate might self-select and all of that stuff. Take for example a student at the 25th percentile. Yale 25th student has say 73.5% chance of employment at 'elite biglaw' while the Northwestern has say 69.5% (purely arbitrary numbers, no offense to NU grads). I dunno, maybe I'm bad at explaining what I mean, it makes perfect sense in my head. What I want to know is what options a graduate from X school has available, not which ones he actually did chose (as that info is plenty available already). I'm sure this wouldn't give many surprises for the top ranked schools, but further down the list I think it might be interesting.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 11:56:25 PM »
BU stopped ranking last year.  also, they still tell us who is in the top 10% (but only top 10%)
Any idea how employers react to this? Do they know the grade curve so they at least have something to compare students to on OCI?

A lot of (good) schools don't rank. The firms seem to manage.
VIP.