Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I wrong to accept a full ride at Loyola over USC and Texas?  (Read 989 times)

DJ JD

• View Profile
I plan to live and work in LA. That is where I grew up, and where my family still lives.

Loyola's offered me a full ride, while USC and Texas essentially offered little to no money (USC would cost me 35K per year, while Texas would cost about 30K).

I have a number of connections in law firms in LA, and I am confident I could do well at Loyola.  Should I still take out the loans and go to USC or Texas? If so, why?

Thanks.

The Professor of Parody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Am I wrong to accept a full ride at Loyola over USC and Texas?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:46:52 AM »
Yes. There's no way to be certain what your grades will be like at Loyola, and if you're not in the top 20% (at minimum) then you're screwed. Unless you have a job guaranteed in writing, go to USC.

SHOTGUN

• X-Wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:07:32 AM »
I'd say go to USC with the debt. It's probably worth it w/o a doubt.
In: Kent,BU,UMD,GMU
WL: 1 school
Reject: 6 schools

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »
Definately would advise you against it. You'll have much more pressure to get those top grades in Loyala.

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 02:56:38 AM »
What exactly are the "connections" that you have at law firms at LA? Unless you have a hiring partner at a good firm telling you that they will give a job after you get a JD from Loyola irrespective of your GPA, that's not a good reason to choose it. The usual disclaimer applies (the answer to your question depends on your precise circumstances, bla bla bla) but off-hand, you should not choose Loyola over USC if you plan to work in LA. Also - your confidence at being able to do well at Loyola is unfounded and speculative, and should not be relied upon as a good reason for picking that school.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:17:38 AM »
If you for whatever reason you really can't afford to take on the debt, than go to Loyola, obviously. However, if you are just going to Loyola because you rather not have debt (but could afford to take it on), forget Loyola!

Go to USC. Even if you graduate at the median at USC, you won't have huge problems paying it off if you go into private practice.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:26:55 AM »
If you for whatever reason you really can't afford to take on the debt, than go to Loyola, obviously. However, if you are just going to Loyola because you rather not have debt (but could afford to take it on), forget Loyola!

Go to USC. Even if you graduate at the median at USC, you won't have huge problems paying it off if you go into private practice.

For firms, USC. For public interest, Loyola.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:49:57 AM »
USC
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:21 AM »

For firms, USC. For public interest, Loyola.

USC's LRAP seems fairly generous. Full debt forgiveness after 6 years in a qualifying job (it says PI and government jobs) if you earn under 55,000 dollars a year (if you have a spouse who earns more than you, then your average income has to be below 55,000). It's probably not the best LRAP out there, but if you're not sure if you'll do PI or not, then I think it probably makes choosing USC okay.

Shady Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »
Can you gurantee yourself top 10% after 1L?  Because that's the only way I would take the offer from Loyola.

Are you going to live with your parents, or will you have to borrow living expenses as well?  Because 160k for a USC degree is approaching prohibitive.

Also, have you seen the law school?  I was down there a few weeks ago to pick up a package from the ups dist. center... let's just say I'd rather go to USC.
UCLA 2010