Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-Time @ SMU?  (Read 1638 times)

fightintxag

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part-Time @ SMU?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:51:44 PM »
While theoretically this is true, I wouldn't imagine it's a good idea to attempt to work while taking classes, unless your load is quite light.  As critical as grades and class rank are, anyway.
Just FYI SMU ranks you against the full-time class.  You have to compete with them.  You're not ranked against the class that enters the same time you are;  you're ranked against the next class.
Ok, just perusing old topics and this caught my eye.

I'm a mech engineer w/ 6 years of experience living & working in Fort Worth, and I've got a PT app pending to SMU (3.13/165).  If accepted (Anyone want to take a stab at my chances?), I plan on continuing to work full time while going after my JD at night.  Seeing this recommendation against working while going to school and the fact that I'll be ranked against full timers who don't have the burden of work has me concerned.  After all, I'll be working at least 40 hours a week, and I'll have an hour+ commute from FW to Dallas at the end of each work day.

Is this unworkable?  Will my grades/ranking be such that I can't get a job after going through all of this?

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Part-Time @ SMU?
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
While theoretically this is true, I wouldn't imagine it's a good idea to attempt to work while taking classes, unless your load is quite light.  As critical as grades and class rank are, anyway.
Just FYI SMU ranks you against the full-time class.  You have to compete with them.  You're not ranked against the class that enters the same time you are;  you're ranked against the next class.
Ok, just perusing old topics and this caught my eye.

I'm a mech engineer w/ 6 years of experience living & working in Fort Worth, and I've got a PT app pending to SMU (3.13/165).  If accepted (Anyone want to take a stab at my chances?), I plan on continuing to work full time while going after my JD at night.  Seeing this recommendation against working while going to school and the fact that I'll be ranked against full timers who don't have the burden of work has me concerned.  After all, I'll be working at least 40 hours a week, and I'll have an hour+ commute from FW to Dallas at the end of each work day.

Is this unworkable?  Will my grades/ranking be such that I can't get a job after going through all of this?

Probably unworkable, even part time students have a few hours of reading per day, and you'll be in class until 9pm+.  FWIW I also live in fort worth and attend SMU but I don't work.  I'm in the full-time program.  After your first year, all of the elective upper-division classes you take make no distinction between PT and FT for grading.

That said unless the reqs have gone up considerably I think you'll easily be admitted to the PT.