Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard? Yale? Whatever Grandma!  (Read 2428 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard? Yale? Whatever Grandma!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
Impressive qualifications indeed. You're certainly getting into UTexas without doubt, and it's a good school also nationwide, so you're not really painting yourself into a corner by going there. It's obviously not Harvard, and if you can score a 174-175 I'd say your chances at Harvard and Yale would be "above average" by any standards.

In my opinion the one thing you should figure out is how certain you are that you wan't to stay in Austin, or Texas in general. If you are confident this is where you want to be, you wouldn't have that much to gain by going to Harvard, and with a family the moving is a bit more complicated, even with children below school age.

Either way, you're in a good situation, so good luck with your decision :)

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 10:44:25 PM »
Once that ambition bug hits, it's hard to look at UT the same way.
:D

crystal, we have similar numbers and situations, give or take a few kids - I'm almost 30, have a 3-year-old, and also live in Austin.  I did not apply to Yale/Harvard/Stanford, but I have other mitigating factors (not eligible for federal loans, lots of dependents abroad) so it'd be hard to afford them anyhow.  I only applied to schools known to give out good scholarships, and did pretty well.  At first I was reluctant to move for law school, because of the support system we have locally and the fact that too many changes would be hard on the family at precisely the time when I couldn't be there too much.  But like Anne Shirley said, the ambition bug is a factor.  Or, in my case, getting more $$ from schools ranked above UT is a factor (oh, and UT's tuition is $20K per year starting in the Fall, not $17K - quite a jump, and will likely go up even more next year).

To sum up, I can't really offer you any advice other than to retake if you think you'll do much better.  Sure it isn't necessary to get a higher score for UT, but it will result in bigger scholarships- just look at LSNs of applicants with 174s and high GPAs - they pretty much got full tuition.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »
UT is a great school, even outside of Texas.  Sounds like you can't go wrong with such a great "safety!"  Best of luck!
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

crystalcarrington

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 09:48:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  It seems that I'm in a similar boat to a lot of people in this forum.  I think I'll redo the LSAT, hope for a better score, and then explore the options as they present themselves. 

scottie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »
Best of luck.  My scores/grades are basically identical 170/4.0, and a Texan to boot.  I am going to go the UT route personally after much soul searching and talking to the kids.  Will I apply elsewhere?  Sure.  Could I retake the LSAT and hit 175, oh yeah.  Do I want to go through the stress and strain for all of that if I am going to be in Austin anyway in the end?  There is the question you have to ask yourself. 

To me, it all depends on how stable the family situation is for you now in Austin and how much you will destabilize the ship by moving to the northeast.  Will the disequilibrium effected in your kids from the move have a negative impact on your first year of law school?  Will your own social adjustment process have an impact?  If you have a good support/family/friend network in place in Austin, I would recommend UT.  If you are a nomad by nature, then go for it provided your husband is as portable as his job :)

My $.02
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT