Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29038 times)

rsieg10

• View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
http://www.americanswedishinst.org/scholarship.htm

HTFH.

Was this serious?  This scholarship is for people wishing to study in SWEDEN!  It does not specify that the applicant be white or Swedish.  Nice try.  Keep looking.

Umm, it's really not that hard to find any.  http://www.multiculturaladvantage.com/opportunity/scholarships/diversity/ehtnic-white-scholarships.asp

Let's see...I am not Polish, Jewish, Irish, Polish-American, Italian, Ukrainian, Irish-American, or German.  I believe that leaves me with nothing.  These scholarships are not open to all whites, as many, many black scholarships are.  Keep looking.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2007, 12:36:02 AM »
Hypo:

12,000 applicants
11,000 white applicants
500 Black applicants
500 other minority applicants.

Say 100 Blacks are numerically qualified or otherwise qualified.

Also say race cannot play a role at all in the decision process

Would a race blind system allow those qualified blacks a chance to reasonably compete for the slots at the school or would the odds dictate that they would be shut out?

What is worse, allowing race to be one factor and perhaps allowing a few people with somewhat lower numerical qualifications that may be explained by good reasons or forcing an entire group to be over-qualified (near 75%) to be able to reasonably compete for a spot in schools?

YLS c/o 2009

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2007, 12:38:10 AM »
Hypo:

12,000 applicants
11,000 white applicants
500 Black applicants

Would a race blind system allow those qualified blacks a chance to reasonably compete for the slots at the school or would the odds dictate that they would be shut out?

What is worse, allowing race to be one factor and perhaps allowing a few people with somewhat lower numerical qualifications that may be explained by good reasons or forcing an entire group to be over-qualified (near 75%) to be able to reasonably compete for a spot in schools?

Race should NOT matter.  Qualified is qualified.  Enough said.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »
Obviously none of the above.  ;D

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2007, 12:43:27 AM »
Vad i helvete?  :)

And basically, I'm a mutt.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2007, 12:52:14 AM »
http://www.americanswedishinst.org/scholarship.htm

HTFH.

Was this serious?  This scholarship is for people wishing to study in SWEDEN!  It does not specify that the applicant be white or Swedish.  Nice try.  Keep looking.

Umm, it's really not that hard to find any.  http://www.multiculturaladvantage.com/opportunity/scholarships/diversity/ehtnic-white-scholarships.asp

Let's see...I am not Polish, Jewish, Irish, Polish-American, Italian, Ukrainian, Irish-American, or German.  I believe that leaves me with nothing.  These scholarships are not open to all whites, as many, many black scholarships are.  Keep looking.

Listen, if you are white you can get these scholarships.  If you are black you cannot.  This back and forth is really going nowhere; you have your views and I have mine.  It's been nice talking to everyone and I'm sure I'll see you on other threads, but remember this; It is so easy to hate and criticize, but yet so hard to understand, tolerate, and love.  To understand, you need to look at the other side; this is common sense.  We are so quick to come to conclusions, but these conclusion involves only our views and what we think is right.  I implore you, instead of repeating your mantras of "This isn't fair"  "Blacks shouldn't have their own scholarships; what about equality?" look at things from a different point of view.  Anyway, much love!
HLS '10

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2007, 12:52:46 AM »
Hypo:

12,000 applicants
11,000 white applicants
500 Black applicants

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. End/thread.
YLS c/o 2009

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »
Hypo:

12,000 applicants
11,000 white applicants
500 Black applicants

TITCR. Dude refuses to open his mind to the ideas being thrown at him. He refuses to believe that things, pardon the pun, aren't so black and white. WE DON'T LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE QUALIFIED IS QUALIFIED- RACISM HAS DICTATED SUCH.

Erwin, your posts have been much appreciated.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 01:14:32 AM »
Hypo:

12,000 applicants
11,000 white applicants
500 Black applicants

TITCR. Dude refuses to open his mind to the ideas being thrown at him. He refuses to believe that things, pardon the pun, aren't so black and white. WE DON'T LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE QUALIFIED IS QUALIFIED- RACISM HAS DICTATED SUCH.

Erwin, your posts have been much appreciated.

This is a really interesting thread.  But it's not quite as simple as it's being made out to be on here.  Maybe it's because its being typed.  I hope thats why.

But for all of the legitimacy that many posters in favor of AA have here, many are essentially calling the opposition blind or ignorant while ignoring their own short-sightedness.  And that is sad.

BTW, I disagree with this last post for a bunch of different reasons; namely, racism is not the only cause of global inequality. 

But it could it also be that this guy has grown up not thinking along racial lines, only to have it thrust upon him later in his life?  He appreciate where he comes from, and quite frankly, I think that so much of the black, hispanic, and other ethnic minority leaders bring it down upon ourselves by reminding generation after generation of kids that they are different, that they are and will be judged by the color of their skin, and to never forget that fact.  That leads to suspicion of people who think that AA is bad and causes them to be ridiculed for their ignorance or intolerence.  And that is just sickening.

UVA, 2010

It's the place.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 01:16:57 AM »
I'm just here for the egregiously bad quoting on pages 3, 4, and 5.  Carry on.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.