Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29586 times)

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:30 AM »

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.
[/quote]

I can see why you feel this way and have heard many voice opinions similar to yours. However, there are many “separate” things for many different groups. There are separate scholarships for women, Hispanics, bilinguals,  international students, legacy, etc. Truth be told, Blacks are disproportionately poor in this country. And many may feel legal scholarships are a way to make up for this problem. I feel maybe this effort is misplaced because giving minority students legal scholarships is not going to solve for the problem of poverty. But, it does not seem that your argument above shows any recognition of the fact that blacks in this country are disproportionately poor and in many cases face different circumstances than whites. ( albeit, this is not always the case) I think law schools look to race because race can be a  value. People of different races can view the world through a different lens, perhaps sympathize with a cause others wouldn’t ( again not always the case) , expose students to a new viewpoint and expand their mind. ( I’m sure some students would be more than happy to keep their mind where its at )  . Furthermore, you stated that an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or acceptance to law school based on qualifications and accomplishments without regard to race, but sometimes these may be intertwined. If a student has had very harsh life circumstances and was able to overcome these it shows a great amount of strength and conviction that could be utilized in a law career. It is not that this student is given a handout, but the admissions committee saw a strength of character or person that they feel is just as capable as a traditional student with straight gpa/lsat. If a “white” student were to show the same strength of character I’m sure it would be rewarded as well. Also, in some ways for a “minority” student, there are added pressures/situations that the average traditional wealthy white student may not have to deal with. It may have taken a lot more for that student to get to the position they are at.  Just something to think about. I know one point isn’t going to completely change your world.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
All things aside, I still have one burning thought I would like someone to address:

We all know that getting accepted into law school is difficult.  There are economically disadvantaged whites applying to law school, just as there are economically disadvantaged blacks suffering the same dreadful admissions process.  We've all worked extremely hard to get to this point.  So, why should "black only" scholarships be allowed since we've all put forth the same effort to get into law school?  It is clear that "white only" scholarships are socially unaccepted--point recently proved when a group of Boston students tried to create such a scholarship.

BriGuy1818

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 12:12:45 AM »
I think people are mad because of situations like Lather rinse repeats. They think she only got into a top 25 school like wisconsin with a 154, her best out of 4 scores 1 of which she cancled; because she is Iranian. What do you think your chances are at if your white and american with her situation?    

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:12 AM »

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.

I can see why you feel this way and have heard many voice opinions similar to yours. However, there are many “separate” things for many different groups. There are separate scholarships for women, Hispanics, bilinguals,  international students, legacy, etc. Truth be told, Blacks are disproportionately poor in this country. And many may feel legal scholarships are a way to make up for this problem. I feel maybe this effort is misplaced because giving minority students legal scholarships is not going to solve for the problem of poverty. But, it does not seem that your argument above shows any recognition of the fact that blacks in this country are disproportionately poor and in many cases face different circumstances than whites. ( albeit, this is not always the case) I think law schools look to race because race can be a  value. People of different races can view the world through a different lens, perhaps sympathize with a cause others wouldn’t ( again not always the case) , expose students to a new viewpoint and expand their mind. ( I’m sure some students would be more than happy to keep their mind where its at )  . Furthermore, you stated that an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or acceptance to law school based on qualifications and accomplishments without regard to race, but sometimes these may be intertwined. If a student has had very harsh life circumstances and was able to overcome these it shows a great amount of strength and conviction that could be utilized in a law career. It is not that this student is given a handout, but the admissions committee saw a strength of character or person that they feel is just as capable as a traditional student with straight gpa/lsat. If a “white” student were to show the same strength of character I’m sure it would be rewarded as well. Also, in some ways for a “minority” student, there are added pressures/situations that the average traditional wealthy white student may not have to deal with. It may have taken a lot more for that student to get to the position they are at.  Just something to think about. I know one point isn’t going to completely change your world.
[/quote]

TITCR!
HLS '10

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »
Agreed.  I am for equality--nothing more and nothing less.  There is no need to segregate any more.  Race is about as relevant as what hand a person writes with or what type of car they drive.

You must be white and you must live in the suburbs to think that race isn't relevant anymore.  You think society can change that much in fifty years?

Oh boy.  This one takes the cake.  It's very easy for you to say that there's no more discrimination except in rural areas, because you would have no reason to feel it.  You're white.  You only see things through the eyes of someone who is white.  If you ask a black person who would have occassion to feel discrimination if they think that we have eradicated it, I'm sure you would get a different response.  You haven't seen things from the other side (and neither have I, but I know there is another side), and until you have, I would advise you not to make generlizations that are nowhere near reality.  Thank you.

Take a look into my perspective for one moment:

Suppose you and I apply to the same law schools, with the same GPA and LSAT score.  You are accepted simply because the law school feels it needs more "diversity" to keep up with other law schools.  I am denied because there are "too many white people", although this is never explicitly stated.  I'm economically disadvantaged, as you are, but scholarships are only open to Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, left-handed people, people with green eyes, people who don't own televisions, and people who don't like pizza.  There's nothing for the average white person.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »
lol no one responds to my posts :( .... I'm out.. this isn't a place of engaging conversation.. its a place for angry people to voice their opinions  in isolation with no intention of listening to what the other side has to say and no intention of ever changing their views.. I'm out...

If all you want to see are "stupid minorities" with crappy lsat scores stealing your "right" to a law school education... that's all you're ever going to see and there's no way for anyone to change your mind. So have a fun and angry life full of false beliefs and misdirected anger.  

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »
Yeah, seriously.  It's about time top 14 schools started admitting some white people with sub 3.0 GPAs.

Oh, wait a second...

:D

Heh, point proven.  :D

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »
All things aside, I still have one burning thought I would like someone to address:

We all know that getting accepted into law school is difficult.  There are economically disadvantaged whites applying to law school, just as there are economically disadvantaged blacks suffering the same dreadful admissions process.  We've all worked extremely hard to get to this point.  So, why should "black only" scholarships be allowed since we've all put forth the same effort to get into law school?  It is clear that "white only" scholarships are socially unaccepted--point recently proved when a group of Boston students tried to create such a scholarship.

There are white only scholarships.  There are Italian American Scholarships, Irish American Scholarships, and so on.  Also there are Asian Scholarships, Indian Scholarships (yes, my friend got one), etc...  Why do you not have a problem with these, but yet you are opposed to black scholarships?  Why do you have a problem if, for instance, the NAACP wants to give a black person a scholarship?  
HLS '10

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »
hell I hate pizza

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
lol no one responds to my posts :( .... I'm out.. this isn't a place of engaging conversation.. its a place for angry people to voice their opinions  in isolation with no intention of listening to what the other side has to say and no intention of ever changing their views.. I'm out...

If all you want to see are "stupid minorities" with crappy lsat scores stealing your "right" to a law school education... that's all you're ever going to see and there's no way for anyone to change your mind. So have a fun and angry life full of false beliefs and misdirected anger.  

What?! I gave you a TITCR!  Now my feelings are hurt :(
HLS '10