Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 30412 times)

rsieg10

• View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:07 PM »
Agreed.  I am for equality--nothing more and nothing less.  There is no need to segregate any more.  Race is about as relevant as what hand a person writes with or what type of car they drive.

You must be white and you must live in the suburbs to think that race isn't relevant anymore.  You think society can change that much in fifty years?

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:34 PM »
I'm white and going to law school, so I guess I can discuss law on this post. Sounds good to me...

It is a joke folks, lets be honest.

Just so it doesn't get edited...
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:38 PM »
Agreed.  I am for equality--nothing more and nothing less.  There is no need to segregate any more.  Race is about as relevant as what hand a person writes with or what type of car they drive.

You must be white and you must live in the suburbs to think that race isn't relevant anymore.  You think society can change that much in fifty years?

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.

Awesome.  White person to black people: "Hey there's no more discrimination.  You're all just imagining it."

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »

Awesome.  White person to black people: "Hey there's no more discrimination.  You're all just imagining it."

Personally, I've never witnessed racial discrimination, nor have I heard any of my non-white friends discuss it.  I'm just making a wild assumption about rural areas, but I could be wrong.  After all, we know that black people still have separate water fountains and must sit in the back of the bus  ::)

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »

Just a hypo, what if you were white and i was black and you and i had the same skills and qualifications for a job. but because i was black, you got the job instead, because as you conceded, racism still exists. now say stuff like this happens throughout every stage of our lives and you keep getting the upper hand because you're white and i'm black. wouldn't this now make you more qualified than me? so now when we both apply to law school, are you telling me my race shouldn't be considered as a reason why your resume has more stuff on it than mine? or as a reason why you, because of all the jobs you were getting ahead of me, now have the money and resources to better prepare for the lsats and go to the better schools and thus have better stats than me?

just my thoughts.

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »

Personally, I've never witnessed racial discrimination, nor have I heard any of my non-white friends discuss it.  I'm just making a wild assumption about rural areas, but I could be wrong.  After all, we know that black people still have separate water fountains and must sit in the back of the bus  ::)

So you're basing this incredibly broad generalization on anecdotal evidence?  Great job.

And discrimination was ingrained in this nation for centuries.  If you honestly think that social engineering can change all that in the space of 30-40 years, you must be some kind of communist.

Now I'm just making personal attacks.  I apologize.  I shouldn't do that.

We are not, of course, talking about public discrimination, which has been illegalized to a large degree.  We're talking about private discrimination- the hundreds of minor slights to which members of racial minorities are subjected on a daily basis.  Think it doesn't happen?  If so, ask yourself if you don't believe it because you have evidence to the contrary or because it's convenient for you not to believe it.

I'm done here.

Affluent white anglo-saxon protestant from the upper east side, leaving thread.

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 12:03:42 AM »
If you want to post on the BLSD board I'm sure you would be welcome. Black law students aren't trying to "segregate" themselves, it's just that there are few black law students and few black people in the field of law in general. It's nice to have support and be able to talk about perspectives that deviate from the norm. Networking is key in law and it's also a way to make up for a lack of a networking base.  As stated above, non-traditional students have a similar forum. As I'm sure do some older students, hispanic students,asian students etc... If you wanted to make a American white male wealthy law student forum.. hey whatever.. i don't care lol..But I doubt you would feel the need as that is the majority in the field of law and thus,these  "traditional" students  probably wouldn't be looking for the same kind of support of those that may feel somewhat like outsiders. I'm sure the creators of such forums as the black law student forum intentions are not to alienate white students, it's just a source of support for members of a community. If you wished to learn about the community, you're more than welcome to join in.

Also, as another example...  students from the south going to northern schools might start up a forum to know what support is available for them while adjusting to a new environment.As would students from a foreign country, etc And, "white" groups could be considered groups like a German student group, Polish student group, etc etc...

I don't see the problem here, and I hope someday you won't see one either.

Well said.  Furthermore, walk into a law school classroom and look around.  Chances are more than 90% of the people in the class are white.  That must feel a little uncomfortable for a minority.  I mean, it really takes some nerve to complain about how white people don't get scholarships and how there should be no law school discussion board when almost all of the legal profession is white!  If you're white you're only seeing things from one side, but yet you complain.  How can you possibly know what it feels like to be a minority in this country.  White people have everything and have had everything since this country was founded, but yet you complain that there are a few scholarships for black people and they have their own discussion board??  At times like this I become embarassed to be white.

I'm Latino American??? Umm Ok

Actually in an earlier post on this thread you said you were white.  I'm done talking to you.  Idiot.

Yeah because the ??? ment I was making a statement

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
and by the unhappy face I ment question mark.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:59 AM »

Oh boy.  This one takes the cake.  It's very easy for you to say that there's no more discrimination except in rural areas, because you would have no reason to feel it.  You're white.  You only see things through the eyes of someone who is white.  If you ask a black person who would have occassion to feel discrimination if they think that we have eradicated it, I'm sure you would get a different response.  You haven't seen things from the other side (and neither have I, but I know there is another side), and until you have, I would advise you not to make generlizations that are nowhere near reality.  Thank you.
HLS '10

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »

I'm Latino American??? Umm Ok
[/quote]

Actually in an earlier post on this thread you said you were white.  I'm done talking to you.  Idiot.
[/quote]

Idiot!