Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 28762 times)

rsieg10

• View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
Excellent answer...I've always felt that it is inappropriate to have "Black Entertainment Television" because there is no need to segregate by race any longer.  And, if there were "White Entertainment Television", there would surely be a huge outcry and it would definitely not be allowed.

You're exactly right--separate things for blacks ended decades ago, so why try to bring it back by creating separate forums for black students?

Personally, it bothers me that law schools still ask for our race on their applications.  If everyone shall be treated equally, regardless of race, why is this even relevant?  I checked "decline to answer" on all of mine, perhaps for fear of being discriminated against for being white--honestly.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:55:56 PM »
It is really so hard to understand that black students have unique concerns/experiences/questions that may warrent discussing with other black students in a focused context?  Non-trads have their own board for the same reason but I don't see anyone posting threads like this over there

Please explain these unique concerns in detail.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »

My concern is that you're a very weak troll.  You should work on that.

Weak troll?  I'm not familiar with that term.  I'm simply trying to discover what exactly warrants the need for a racially-biased forum.  The last time I checked, the Black Law Student Discussion Board entailed conversations of the Virginia Tech shooting, the Los Angeles Lakers, online banking, and several meaningless YouTube links.  My point is, if there are supposedly explicit concerns that need to be addressed, I have yet to see them.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
How about "White Entertainment Television" or the NAAWP instead of the NAACP?  Personally, I don't think either of these are necessary, but then again I don't think it's necessary to have a seperate area for black students to talk about law school.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we are probably going to the exact same law schools and will be sitting right next to each other in class.  We don't have seperated law schools; why have seperated law school forums?

It's called Country Music Television, and why would there be an association for the advancement of white people?  How much more can we advance? 
HLS '10

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
It is really so hard to understand that black students have unique concerns/experiences/questions that may warrent discussing with other black students in a focused context?  Non-trads have their own board for the same reason but I don't see anyone posting threads like this over there

I'll give you an example.  When I visited Harvard, I heard some very discouraging things about race relations there.  As a black student, I had to ask myself if I wanted to go to a school where I would have to choose between ignoring racist incidents or fighting for three years to combat them.  BLSD is a good place to ask black students what their experiences were like at a place like Harvard and if they felt the racial charge of the institution was worth the benefits of going there.  I also personally sought advice on this board about deciding between Harvard and Howard.  On the other boards, Howard is so often completely written off, and no one there seems to have any real respect for the institution.  I had my own very personal reasons for considering Howard, and it helped to come to a board where people (mostly black people), did not completely write Howard off simply because of its rank.  It's also a place where people can talk about the state of race in the legal field and what challenges they may be able to expect in their career of choice.

Additionally, BLSD could be a place for URMs or black students to get information to help them gauge their chances at various law schools without being attacked and ridiculed by people the way that may occur on the other boards.  I remember when I posted in a thread on the other boards about getting into long-shots, and when I mentioned that I was a URM, people started using the eye-rolling emoticon and turned it into an AA discussion.  I don't get ridiculed on BLSD.  

There are other instances, and I'd suggest you peruse some of the questions and answers on this site if your'e really interested.  

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,54625.msg1067474.html#msg1067474

Well I have some questions that I want to ask white law school students. I understand that you have some questions that you want to target at Black law applicants and students, but why is it not okay for me to target some of my questions to students that are white?. Again it is fine to have the black discussion forum but why can we not have a white one?

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
I am not trying to start a controversy here, just trying to create equality since there is a Black Law Student Discussion Board.  Apparently, we are taking steps back into time and segregating by race.

The point is to discuss things that are of concern to the African American race.  White people post on the Black Discussion Board all of the time.  How is that segregating?  If white people couldn't post on the board, then that would be segregation.  Would you be complaining if there was a Jewish Law Discussion Board?  Or an Asian Discussion Board?  You can post on the board if you want, so quit complaining.  Thanks :)
HLS '10

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 11:19:36 PM »
That link you provided served me well in answering my questions:

yiplong said "white or black, we can all discussion law school related stuff together.  No need for a separate forum."

team mvp said "...and having such a board in place makes discussion about these things is much easier. For example, the scholarships thread on BLSD."  Shall we start a thread in the "White Law Student Discussion Board" conferring about the fact that there are no scholarships open to only white students?  Don't you feel that this is a bit discriminatory to award someone or exclude someone from a scholarship based solely on the color of their skin? 

Stephon Devante said "Well if black people have their own section, and gay people should..why not straight people? Why not republicans? Why not Christians?  It amazes me how everybody hates on segregation/discrimination until it is beneficial to them."

I could continue, but I shall not.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
How about "White Entertainment Television" or the NAAWP instead of the NAACP?  Personally, I don't think either of these are necessary, but then again I don't think it's necessary to have a seperate area for black students to talk about law school.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we are probably going to the exact same law schools and will be sitting right next to each other in class.  We don't have seperated law schools; why have seperated law school forums?

It's called Country Music Television, and why would there be an association for the advancement of white people?  How much more can we advance? 

So if County Music Television was to be renamed "White Music Television", there would not be a outrage?

I often watch 106 & Park on BET, but I feel that the network should be renamed something like "Hip-hop Entertainment Television" instead of being racially specific.  It insinuates that the network is for blacks only.

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 11:26:10 PM »
I would voice my opinion about racial discrimination (Bakke dot dot dot) but don't want to afford people attacking with weak arguements about how blacks are aloud to have separate advanteges that whites cannot be given. (I am all for equal protection so don't give me any BULL)

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 11:27:50 PM »
Okay, I'm going to roll my eyes YET AGAIN, and say that there's a double standard.  With good reason.  Black people with racial consciousness is not as threatening as white people with racial consciousness. 

But hey, I'm just an affluent white anglo-saxon protestant from the upper east side.  What do I know?