Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29173 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
But Madness, don't you agree that minorities are not the only ones who have experience setbacks in their lives?  What about LGBT people?  What about women?  Athiests?  The poor?  The disabled?  None of these people get a checkbox and are only left with the option of discussing it in a PS.

LGBT ppl get a box.

In addition, LGBT ppl have their own thread, Non trads have their own board, as do minorites, and Canadians...yet I don't see you bitching about that  ::)
Columbia 3L

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
wait:  canadians?

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Agreed. I agree with getting rid of the checkboxes. Its a dumb idea (aside from institutional reporting). Still, I'm not sure eliminating the boxes in favor of PS will change the system. I'm not sure pre-1Ls understand (and many law students) how affirmative action works.

There was some suggestion a few weeks back that PS's might actually work against racial minorities, the non-affluent in general (good thing for me I'm affluent) because readers would subconsciously look for people whose writing indicated the right "pedigree."

But as a general rule, I do think that schools (etc.) should adopt an expansive view of what constitutes diversity.  What I think is most important is whether a person is able to present alternative viewpoints because they have had a different set of experiences than the majority of people.  Racial diversity is probably a good proxy for diversity of experience, since members of racial minorities probably have a different set of experiences than members of the racial majority. 

Though I could be mistaken.  Perhaps every black (hispanic, asian, native american, I'm forgetting a few) person on this board will respond to this post by saying that their experience has been identical to mine (andover, oxford, etc.).

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2007, 11:52:58 AM »
But Madness, don't you agree that minorities are not the only ones who have experience setbacks in their lives?  What about LGBT people?  What about women?  Athiests?  The poor?  The disabled?  None of these people get a checkbox and are only left with the option of discussing it in a PS.

LBGT's get a box.
Women have their name, and a box if I'm not mistaken
Atheists who cares
Poor you have your zipcode, the high school you attended, and most submit their parents income in supplementary data.  I dont know to what extent that stuff is used in decision-making, but thats a different issue.
Disabled should have a box
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
Wow. One day and all this. Do any of you "race blind" people realized that:

(1) the NAACP was co-founded by white folk, whom have never been excluded from membership.
(2) White Entertainment Television (W.E.T. - HAHA! ;D) is every other station on television. [Where is the outcry against Telemundo?]
(3) There have been no "Black" organizations that exclude white people. (Even the Black Panther Party had the White Panther Party.)
(4) That B.E.T. (post-Tavis Smiley/Teen Summit) is not a black enterntainment network. It is a "what white people think black people are" entertainment network. Additionally, if there were a network that seriously catered to the distinct culture of Black People, why would anyone have a problem? I imagine that you aren't up in arms over Telemundo because of the language barrier.
(5)

It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »
julie still not over friggin' canadians.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »

LGBT ppl get a box.

In addition, LGBT ppl have their own thread, Non trads have their own board, as do minorites, and Canadians...yet I don't see you bitching about that  ::)

Hmmm...I applied to 35 law schools and never once saw an LGBT checkbox.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2007, 01:30:59 PM »
18 acceptances + 7 waitlists and deferrals.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »
I'm a racist black guy who is also a jack ass that likes to start sh*t.  As for my argument, do you think OP came here looking to logically discuss issues?

Who you choose to confront in this thread, and who you've let slide in this thread, and your comments towards both, speaks volumes about you as well.  No wondering with me.  I already have you figured out - since passing judgement is apparently what we are doing here.

Take care of some trash first.  Glad to see that you can confess to the b*tch you are; and I went after you because you act like one.  I guess the next step for you is to stop acting like one.  Like a 12 step program.  Or you can go chill over at xoxo.  But please, don't hesitate in explaining what your F'd up mind has "figured out" about me.

As for the original OP of this thread, he/she already had it handed to him, and rightfully so.

And as for those damn boxes that force people into labels... ;D
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
Wow. One day and all this. Do any of you "race blind" people realized that:

(1) the NAACP was co-founded by white folk, whom have never been excluded from membership.
(2) White Entertainment Television (W.E.T. - HAHA! ;D) is every other station on television. [Where is the outcry against Telemundo?]
(3) There have been no "Black" organizations that exclude white people. (Even the Black Panther Party had the White Panther Party.)
(4) That B.E.T. (post-Tavis Smiley/Teen Summit) is not a black enterntainment network. It is a "what white people think black people are" entertainment network. Additionally, if there were a network that seriously catered to the distinct culture of Black People, why would anyone have a problem? I imagine that you aren't up in arms over Telemundo because of the language barrier.
(5)

I'll charge for their side here.

1) Yes.  The NAACP was founded on solid principals that bound together ppl of any race to help advance the fight for justice for the black community.
2) No...This argument always suprises me.  I just don't buy that because whites are a majority that they automatically pander solely to whites like BET, UPN, or Telemundo caters to those demographic groups.  But then this assumes that there is a singular white culture, which in itself is flawed.
3) That's wrong.  The Nation of Islam did for decades.  They don't anymore.  But Blacks haven't been pickey about who they'll let support them.  They're smart  ;D.
4)How do you figure?  It was founded by a black man for black people.  And really, besides music, comedy, and t.v. shows, what else do you think would be appropriate for entertainment?
5) I love puppies.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.