Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29406 times)

rsieg10

• View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:48 AM »
All things aside, I still have one burning thought I would like someone to address:

We all know that getting accepted into law school is difficult.  There are economically disadvantaged whites applying to law school, just as there are economically disadvantaged blacks suffering the same dreadful admissions process.  We've all worked extremely hard to get to this point.  So, why should "black only" scholarships be allowed since we've all put forth the same effort to get into law school?  It is clear that "white only" scholarships are socially unaccepted--point recently proved when a group of Boston students tried to create such a scholarship.

There are white only scholarships.  There are Italian American Scholarships, Irish American Scholarships, and so on.  Also there are Asian Scholarships, Indian Scholarships (yes, my friend got one), etc...  Why do you not have a problem with these, but yet you are opposed to black scholarships?  Why do you have a problem if, for instance, the NAACP wants to give a black person a scholarship? 

First of all, please find me a white-only law school scholarship.  I do not have a problem with the NAACP giving a black person a scholarship, but it is not equal.  There is no NAAWP to give a white person a scholarship.

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:54 AM »
Agreed.  I am for equality--nothing more and nothing less.  There is no need to segregate any more.  Race is about as relevant as what hand a person writes with or what type of car they drive.

You must be white and you must live in the suburbs to think that race isn't relevant anymore.  You think society can change that much in fifty years?

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.

Oh boy.  This one takes the cake.  It's very easy for you to say that there's no more discrimination except in rural areas, because you would have no reason to feel it.  You're white.  You only see things through the eyes of someone who is white.  If you ask a black person who would have occassion to feel discrimination if they think that we have eradicated it, I'm sure you would get a different response.  You haven't seen things from the other side (and neither have I, but I know there is another side), and until you have, I would advise you not to make generlizations that are nowhere near reality.  Thank you.

Take a look into my perspective for one moment:

Suppose you and I apply to the same law schools, with the same GPA and LSAT score.  You are accepted simply because the law school feels it needs more "diversity" to keep up with other law schools.  I am denied because there are "too many white people", although this is never explicitly stated.  I'm economically disadvantaged, as you are, but scholarships are only open to Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, left-handed people, people with green eyes, people who don't own televisions, and people who don't like pizza.  There's nothing for the average white person.

The thing is, simply being born white puts you at an advantage in life. It's better to be a poor white person than a poor black person.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2007, 12:22:53 AM »
Agreed.  I am for equality--nothing more and nothing less.  There is no need to segregate any more.  Race is about as relevant as what hand a person writes with or what type of car they drive.

You must be white and you must live in the suburbs to think that race isn't relevant anymore.  You think society can change that much in fifty years?

I am sure that in certain rural areas of the country, racial discrimination exists.  However, I still don't feel the need to have "separate" things for blacks, like scholarships.  Of course there are fewer blacks than whites in law school because the number of whites in America significantly outnumbers blacks.  I think it could be agreed that law schools only ask for an applicant's race for one reason--and that is not to give white students the advantage.  All races should be treated equally: an applicant should be awarded a scholarship or an acceptance to law school based on their qualifications and accomplishments.  Race should not be considered in any way.

Oh boy.  This one takes the cake.  It's very easy for you to say that there's no more discrimination except in rural areas, because you would have no reason to feel it.  You're white.  You only see things through the eyes of someone who is white.  If you ask a black person who would have occassion to feel discrimination if they think that we have eradicated it, I'm sure you would get a different response.  You haven't seen things from the other side (and neither have I, but I know there is another side), and until you have, I would advise you not to make generlizations that are nowhere near reality.  Thank you.

Suppose you and I apply to the same law schools, with the same GPA and LSAT score.  You are accepted simply because the law school feels it needs more "diversity" to keep up with other law schools.  I am denied because there are "too many white people", although this is never explicitly stated.  I'm economically disadvantaged, as you are, but scholarships are only open to Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, left-handed people, people with green eyes, people who don't own televisions, and people who don't like pizza.  There's nothing for the average white person.

The thing is, simply being born white puts you at an advantage in life. It's better to be a poor white person than a poor black person.

How so?  Poor is poor.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2007, 12:23:53 AM »
All things aside, I still have one burning thought I would like someone to address:

We all know that getting accepted into law school is difficult.  There are economically disadvantaged whites applying to law school, just as there are economically disadvantaged blacks suffering the same dreadful admissions process.  We've all worked extremely hard to get to this point.  So, why should "black only" scholarships be allowed since we've all put forth the same effort to get into law school?  It is clear that "white only" scholarships are socially unaccepted--point recently proved when a group of Boston students tried to create such a scholarship.

There are white only scholarships.  There are Italian American Scholarships, Irish American Scholarships, and so on.  Also there are Asian Scholarships, Indian Scholarships (yes, my friend got one), etc...  Why do you not have a problem with these, but yet you are opposed to black scholarships?  Why do you have a problem if, for instance, the NAACP wants to give a black person a scholarship? 

First of all, please find me a white-only law school scholarship.  I do not have a problem with the NAACP giving a black person a scholarship, but it is not equal.  There is no NAAWP to give a white person a scholarship.

Oh Jesus.  First of all, why would there be a NAAWP?!  How much more can white people advance?  Secondly, I just gave you some examples.  For instance, the local Italian American association in my couty has a scholarship for Italian kids.  There are numerous instances of this.  
HLS '10

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2007, 12:25:51 AM »
What gives people the right to discriminate like that based upon race?  We all work equally.  No one needs to be given preferential treatment based upon his or her race.  It only causes segregation.  Jesus.

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »

How so?  Poor is poor.

Yes poor is poor. But I just said, being white in this country is better than being black. So I'd rather be a white poor person because chances are, I'd be getting that job at Mickey D's before a black poor person.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2007, 12:27:26 AM »
http://www.americanswedishinst.org/scholarship.htm

HTFH.

Was this serious?  This scholarship is for people wishing to study in SWEDEN!  It does not specify that the applicant be white or Swedish.  Nice try.  Keep looking.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:13 AM »

How so?  Poor is poor.

Yes poor is poor. But I just said, being white in this country is better than being black. So I'd rather be a white poor person because chances are, I'd be getting that job at Mickey D's before a black poor person.

Probably not, because Mickey D's would likely have just gotten criticized by the NAACP for not hiring enough black employees.  There would be 30 white applicants and 2 black ones, and the black one would get the job solely to meet the race quota Mickey D's now has to make.

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »
What gives people the right to discriminate like that based upon race?  We all work equally.  No one needs to be given preferential treatment based upon his or her race.  It only causes segregation.  Jesus.

Yes we may all work equally, but if you read my earlier hypo, because of the vast majority of racist shmucks out there in positions of power, we are not viewed as equal. So you will be treated better than me, for the most part, for the rest of our lives because you're white and i'm not.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
http://www.americanswedishinst.org/scholarship.htm

HTFH.

Was this serious?  This scholarship is for people wishing to study in SWEDEN!  It does not specify that the applicant be white or Swedish.  Nice try.  Keep looking.

Umm, it's really not that hard to find any.  http://www.multiculturaladvantage.com/opportunity/scholarships/diversity/ehtnic-white-scholarships.asp
HLS '10