Law School Discussion

[The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board

Dear Naturally....

Gasp...Colored people eh?  I think that is an ignorant label and please disect your argument in such a fashion that you do not simply return a question to my side of the table...

What i am trying to understand is why:
the rapper "timbaland" can use the "gasp" N- word "I'm just that pimp n-word from Va. Beach Rrrrob each, uh, let me not slur my speech"  in a song without reprecussion
i can write a book about rappers and their lyrics...biggie smalls in "juicy"- "and if you dont know, now you know, n-word"
WHY IS THIS OK?

Al sharpton can call the former mayor of NY (david dinkins)a "gasp" "n-word whore" and, most significantly, defend this action by saying "well, i apologized, i was wrong." but not as wrong as don imus who didnt even say the n word or anything close to it???
And what about the white girls on the rutgers team?

why is calling black people "colored" or "negroes" is taboo, yet there are organizations that foster these labels, so just curious, why can't everyone refer to them as this?

OK natural...i am not bashing you, i am seriously curious on your take of these issues and how you relate to them.  i dont want a race war, just some level headed understanding!
it is in my sole biased opinion that the term "colored people" is highly offensive...or am i wrong to think this?

Who said rappers using the n-word is okay? These rappers who use derogatory and offensive language have not been granted special rights by the magically black community which decides everything black in secret meetings.(emphasis added for sarcasm)  A lot of people, both black and non-black, are disgusted by some of the language that rappers use.  My mother did not allow me to listen to certain rappers like many of my friends.  And let it be know that these rappers main customers are not blacks but non-blacks mainly suburban white kids. 

Are you being serious when you are talking about NAACP and UNC? These institutions use the term “negro” and “colored” because those were the terms that were used at the time.  To change the name now would be to erase the history because we are now uncomfortable with the truth of our past as Americans. 

As for the white girls or non-black girls on the team, I would think they would be deeply offended by Imus comments.  Sports teams are usually like families, so when someone says something about your sister while it may not directly affect you it does not stop you from feeling the anger and pain that Imus comments caused your sister.   

What color are Jews? 

Exactly. Silly isn't it? I mean say one would say the color of their skin is "white," but if you know anything about American history Jews were not considered white, as white meant being Christian. "Whiteness" as constructed in the American context is not about ones color but about privileges granted to those deemed "white." Italians and Irish were not always know as "white" either. It took them a while to earn their "whiteness."

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
Dear Naturally....

Gasp...Colored people eh?  I think that is an ignorant label and please disect your argument in such a fashion that you do not simply return a question to my side of the table...

What i am trying to understand is why:
the rapper "timbaland" can use the "gasp" N- word "I'm just that pimp n-word from Va. Beach Rrrrob each, uh, let me not slur my speech"  in a song without reprecussion
i can write a book about rappers and their lyrics...biggie smalls in "juicy"- "and if you dont know, now you know, n-word"
WHY IS THIS OK?

Al sharpton can call the former mayor of NY (david dinkins)a "gasp" "n-word whore" and, most significantly, defend this action by saying "well, i apologized, i was wrong." but not as wrong as don imus who didnt even say the n word or anything close to it???
And what about the white girls on the rutgers team?

why is calling black people "colored" or "negroes" is taboo, yet there are organizations that foster these labels, so just curious, why can't everyone refer to them as this?

OK natural...i am not bashing you, i am seriously curious on your take of these issues and how you relate to them.  i dont want a race war, just some level headed understanding!
it is in my sole biased opinion that the term "colored people" is highly offensive...or am i wrong to think this?

Who said rappers using the n-word is okay? These rappers who use derogatory and offensive language have not been granted special rights by the magically black community which decides everything black in secret meetings.(emphasis added for sarcasm)  A lot of people, both black and non-black, are disgusted by some of the language that rappers use.  My mother did not allow me to listen to certain rappers like many of my friends.  And let it be know that these rappers main customers are not blacks but non-blacks mainly suburban white kids. 

Are you being serious when you are talking about NAACP and UNC? These institutions use the term “negro” and “colored” because those were the terms that were used at the time.  To change the name now would be to erase the history because we are now uncomfortable with the truth of our past as Americans. 

As for the white girls or non-black girls on the team, I would think they would be deeply offended by Imus comments.  Sports teams are usually like families, so when someone says something about your sister while it may not directly affect you it does not stop you from feeling the anger and pain that Imus comments caused your sister.   

What color are Jews? 

Exactly. Silly isn't it? I mean say one would say the color of their skin is "white," but if you know anything about American history Jews were not considered white, as white meant being Christian. "Whiteness" as constructed in the American context is not about ones color but about privileges granted to those deemed "white." Italians and Irish were not always know as "white" either. It took them a while to earn their "whiteness."

True. True. However, Jews are recipients of "white privelidge" until maybe they give you there last name. In a store or during a traffic stop, Jews would probably be recipients of "white priviledge."

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
What about Asians?

They're from Asia.

What color are Asians? 

What color are Asians? 

In the event you are posing the question out of a thirst for knowledge, Asia and Africa have the most phenotypic and genetic (not visible)diversity of the inhabited continents. Indigenous Asians come in every shade from milk-pale to olive-gold to chestnut-brown to the intensely pigmented brown-black of some south Indian communities.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
What color are Asians? 

Indians? Chinese? Japenese? Indonesians? Filipinos? Russians?

Some asians have skin pigmentation similar to caucasions; however, their facial and other distinct features would probably exclude them from white priviledge.

What color are Jews?   
What color are Asians? 

Wow, guys.  I was kidding. 

What has white priviledge done for me lately? 

What about the white disadvantage?  That's what has been following me around (and I'm not talking about AA). 

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
What color are Jews?   
What color are Asians? 

Wow, guys.  I was kidding. 

What has white priviledge done for me lately? 

What about the white disadvantage?  That's what has been following me around (and I'm not talking about AA). 

What things have you suffered as a result of being white or your family being white?

Discrimination. 

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile