Law School Discussion

[The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board

Re: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2007, 07:51:08 AM »
what fool cares what the basketball player's skin color is?

realistically...

how come half the motherfuching nba is in the playoffs?

now that's bullshite.

what fool cares what the law school student's skin color is?

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »
over half?=portions...

link?

at any rate, I heard that he plagiarized before.  I really just wanted the link.

and dude are you going to answer my questions about your stinking to high heavens analogy?

keepitsimple

• What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2007, 09:20:47 AM »
If you are 1/4 of a minority race can you use that on an application? I figure I would ask on here

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2007, 09:21:44 AM »
I beleive the cut off is 1/8th.  happy raceandering

keepitsimple

• What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
*&^% I am a URM and did not even know it, retract applications

I think that poverty and background should be taken into consideration instead of race (I read the first 6 pages of this thread and then got bored, so if someone has already said this I appologize). 

A rich black is less deserving of AA or scholarships than a poor black, mexican, white, asian, etc.  If you are rich then you have much more control over your own life than does someone living in poverty.  You can afford prep courses,  you wouldn't have to work and study at the same time, etc.  While race does bring diversity to a school, I think that different socio-economic backgrounds is more important.  What would bring more diversity: a rich black student, who grew up livign a good life and who goes to law school with a bunch of white kids who have lived similar lives OR a poor white student who struggled for everything that they have and who probably has a much different world outlook? 

Poor whites outperform wealthy blacks, and it's not even close. 

Really??? 

I'd like to see some numbers on that. 

I really don't think that AA makes blacks lazy.  They work to get their grades (hard or not like all college kids), but when it comes time to apply to law school they look at schools higher up on the list than would white kids with the same scores. 

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
While race does bring diversity to a school, I think that different socio-economic backgrounds is more important.  What would bring more diversity: a rich black student, who grew up livign a good life and who goes to law school with a bunch of white kids who have lived similar lives OR a poor white student who struggled for everything that they have and who probably has a much different world outlook? 

CC, thanks for your coments.  You raise some interesting points.  I generally try to avoid the AA talks, but I'm interested to hear more about these rich black students you reference.  While I suppose the term will always be relative, what exactly qualifies as "rich" for the sake of your argument?  Also, I'd like to hear more about the rich black students living "similar lives" to white law school applicants.  I think it might be helpful to get some comparison statistics and anecdotes about blacks and whites of the same socioeconomic status with respect to access to quality education, safe schools, highly qualified teachers, quality health care (prenatal, pediatric, geriatric, etc.), fair housing practices, neighborhood/community amenities, social services, healthy and afforable food options, predatory lending practices (in the purchase of homes, automobiles, insurance, etc.), access to influential social/professional networks, legitimate discrimination claims, etc.  Just my two cents....  :)

As far as "living similar lives" I meant that they grew up in nice areas, went to the same good schools, etc.  I don't want to give an exact range of income to qualify blacks are rich or poor.  The black kids at my high school were among some of the richest at my school.  Some of them lived better lives and had access to greater privileges than many other students.  The number of wealthy blacks may not be where it should be, however I just feel that AA should be used to help the economically disadvantaged.  If more blacks would benefit from this new approach than whites or other races, then great.  Let's help the poor instead of all classes of a particular race. 

My point simply was that race probably isn't the best way to bring diversity to a law school class. 

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
If there needs to be AA still in the country, it should be class based, instead of race based.  I completely agree.  I work in a high school where I see alot of poor blacks...and alot of poor whites as well. All of them are struggling to have access to higher education.