Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29392 times)

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
"Peace"

good riddance.  sheesh..

@reign.  of course it matters.  he is showing he is down with black people.  this qualifies him to call for the cessation of black interest groups, unless white people are aloud to have groups to protect their own interest - without complaint from non whites.  Forget black people don't even have aforementioned groups without complaint from non-blacks (some blacks for that matter). 

Anyhow, I never dated a hispanic "girl" but I already admitted to being racist...   
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
As blacks I would expect (but am usually disapointed) to be sensitive to having equality for all races, including the right to organize politically based upon race.  

I don't believe anyone has said there is anything wrong with whites wanting to organize white race groups. The point is it would be redundant. Since white people are the majority in this country and, by large, control most of its wealth, the interests of  White Americans are already being served. If you were in Japan then I could get with you.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2007, 06:31:55 PM »
:(  This has been a really eye-opening process, and one that should bother a lot of people.  As blacks I would expect (but am usually disapointed) to be sensitive to having equality for all races, including the right to organize politically based upon race.  

For what it matters, I am a hispanic with dark features.  One of my parents is a first generation American and the other is not even American.  I've dated a black girl for 3 years and was just the bestman in one of my closest friends wedding who is also black.  But honestly, none of this should matter.

What should matter is trying to pursue equality.  This is something that most of you appear to be uninterested in pursuing beyond your own racial group.  As the true forerunners for this fight in American society this is sad.
And hence, closed minded idiots continue to refuse to work out issues of inequality.  Im sure your forefathers would be proud.

As for this,

So now we're idiots?
it was directed at idiots like Madness and The Bad Guy.  You were making valid points and I enjoyed learning from you.

But most of the rest of these nuts are attacking me instead of my points (making blacks a scapegoat for not getting an internship?  Are you kidding me?)  or making sheerly stupid assumptions (looking at Madness here) that are just wrong on so many different levels.

So with this, I'll bow out, leave the idiots on this thread to their best in law school (scary for the legal future) and wish those of you who actually contributed the very best in school.

And FYI, when white are treated with this sort of attitude they will come away with a less open mind then what many of you have.  If your goal is to keep the status quo, as a few of you charged me with doing, it's working.  But when you question why there is so much prejudice in the world, look back at yourselves and what you might be doing (GASP, YES IT CAN BE YOUR FAULT TOO) to further this negative force.

Peace

Yeah, the only thing idiotic here is you comparing The KKK with black civil rights organizations advocating equality.

FYI, you're the one that responded to my initial post with "Nice jabs.  Ok as*hole."  So quit biatching when I return the ad hominem favor. 

Quite frankly, I was making the same redundancy point that seventhson is making, but you chose to act like an ass about it...so get over yourself, and quit acting like a little pu$$y

Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »
How about "White Entertainment Television" or the NAAWP instead of the NAACP?  Personally, I don't think either of these are necessary, but then again I don't think it's necessary to have a seperate area for black students to talk about law school.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that we are probably going to the exact same law schools and will be sitting right next to each other in class.  We don't have seperated law schools; why have seperated law school forums?

Excellent answer...I've always felt that it is inappropriate to have "Black Entertainment Television" because there is no need to segregate by race any longer.  And, if there were "White Entertainment Television", there would surely be a huge outcry and it would definitely not be allowed.

You're exactly right--separate things for blacks ended decades ago, so why try to bring it back by creating separate forums for black students?

Personally, it bothers me that law schools still ask for our race on their applications.  If everyone shall be treated equally, regardless of race, why is this even relevant?  I checked "decline to answer" on all of mine, perhaps for fear of being discriminated against for being white--honestly.

No.  Not an excellent answer.  Unless your idea of excellence is to tear down what you clearly do not understand for no other reason but for the fact that you do not understand it.

I grow increasingly despondent from posts such as these from posters such as yourselves, and quite frankly, as I sift through bar application papers and final law school exams I just don't have the time or inclination to explain the necessity of minority support groups in a profession substantially overrepresented by the majority to members of said majority.

Good day, good madame.
Good day, good sir.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Louis55

• View Profile
Re: white people in the NBA
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »
(1) To bad your analogy fails to fit its purpose.  (2)  I recommend that this mess be placed in either the AA board or the white law school discussion board. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
(1) To bad your analogy fails to fit its purpose.  (2)  I recommend that this mess be placed in either the AA board or the white law school discussion board. 

If wishing made it so

You were saying?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
Re: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »
man I've seen that NBA analogy dismantled so many times on the internet.  If I weren't so lazy I'd post links.  If I hadn't dismantled it myself so many times I would re-type. 

Besides, anyone who thinks Steve Nash isn't a 2x AA MVP is retarded.  And that 13-14 feet of anonymous whitey on the end of just about every NBA teams bench is AA as well.  The compelling interest being money.  You probably don't remember the new york NIGGERBOCKERS, or, as the Knickerbockers were called when they had no white players.   
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »
White people come from backgrounds that are often disadvantaged when it comes to excelling at basketball.  They have more money and often live a more sedentary life (not posting at the block and playing pickup below the chain-linked net).  There is also a heavily ingrained cultural bias in the NBA (almost everything about it seems to be at least tangentially related to African-culture).  Moreover, there is stereotype bias.  Everyone has been ripping on white players' athletic talents for so long that they've come to believe these stereotypes (white men can't jump, et cetera)themselves and it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Also, white culture tends to push kids into putting the vast majority of their time into things like education instead of aquiring mad basketbal skills.  How can you expect someone who hasn't had the opportunity to play with top talent for 20 hours a day (simply because of the lot he was born into) to compete with those who have?

Without white people in the NBA the players (many of whom are from low-income inner cities and have never been exposed to cultures outside of their own), could be missing out on a great opportunity to learn and grow in a multi-cultural environment and dispel long held prejudice about white people.

It doesn't sound any smarter when you people say it.  HTFH.

It's hard to believe that people like you are going to law school.  You exude ignorance.  White people have every opportunity to excel at basketball, in fact a better opportunity than blacks.  They usually have houses with hoops in their driveways, they're able to afford nice sneakers and nice equipment.  I used to play basketball in high school and there was a huge difference between our gym (went to a mostly white high school) and the gyms in urban schools.  Furthermore, many many white parents want their kids to excel at sports; I mean just go to Indiana and you'll see every white kid there plays basketball.  Parents no matter what race love to see their kids excel in sports.

Comparing the name of a Wesley Snipes movie to years and years of oppression, Jim Crow laws, and slavery is just moronic, so I won't even discuss that.

Furthermore, what do you mean everything is related to African culture?  Basketball was invented by a white man and whites have been playing the game for years. 

On another note, the Supreme Court said it is easier to pass affirmative action laws for women (they get intermediate scrutiny) then for blacks (they get strict scrutiny).  Furthermore, the Supreme Court has passed laws to benefit women (Rokster v. Goldberg, Nguyen v. INS), but you don't mention this.  It really goes to show that you're not a man out for equality, but you a little boy who can't stand the thought of something that does not benefit him.  Disgusting.
HLS '10

Ask a White Dude!

• View Profile
Re: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2007, 11:15:31 PM »
Hold the phone.  Only a FEW white law students don't quite get it?

rsieg10

• View Profile
White Law Students Discussion Board
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2007, 12:57:09 AM »
Yes, it's true.  The NBA is overwhelmingly African-American (over 80%).  White people are few and far between in the NBA.  You might say the same about African-Americans in law school.  So, why don't they allow affirmative action in the NBA?  ::)