Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 30218 times)

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
Yeah bro, good response.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2007, 02:59:21 PM »
"2) My point is that American media does specifically cater to the needs of the white community, while other ethnic groups are either marginalized or excluded."  Specifically does not equal solely; but it's pretty damn close.  It means "restricted to a particular individual, situation, relation, or effect", and when used, it usually means solely.

"Specifically" and "Soley" are two different terms. "Specifically" implies distinction from a larger source. "Soley" is rooted from solitary, to which is finite in exclusivity. Hence, a media company could "specifically" cater programming to whites and resdiually tailor programming to other minority groups. However, if a media company soley tailored programming to whites, all other groups would be excluded.

"My problem lies with: (1) Being monolithically portayed and (2) People getting upset when black people watch television that accurately reflects our culuture. (Side Note: BET doesn't count)" It's unclear whether 1) is reffering to blacks or whites (the previous sentence was reffering to whites but 2) is reffering to blacks).  If it's blacks, this used to be true, but it's not anymore.  If it's refering to whites this is partially true if you look at whites portrayed in many "black" movies (take a look at a Spike Lee film).  As for 2), who is upset?

If it wasn't obviously clear, (1) was directed towards Black people as could be infered earlier through my dicussion about marginlization. And I assure you, it is still a reality (See articles: http://www.targetmarketnews.com/storyid08010601.htm (2001) or http://www.coloradodaily.com/articles/2004/05/21/news/news08.txt (2004))

If you feel the need to create a White centrist group then go ahead, but like it was said earlier, it would redundant. It would be just as redundant to create a Heterosexual centrist group because society at-large tailors to the needs of heterosexuals.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2007, 03:00:12 PM »
And hence, closed minded idiots continue to refuse to work out issues of inequality.  Im sure your forefathers would be proud.

So now we're idiots?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »
I can see how I should have explained this better, but it's apples and oranges.  The black community has a history, both distant and recent, of operating together.  Of course there are always people who have been outliers, but various groups claim to speak for the African-American community (whether justly or not is another matter)

Whites on the other hand don't really have this.  The KKK have tried at various points, but have been largely ridiculed by the majority of whites (at least in recent times.)

Americans are usually perceived as a unitaral force throughtout the world. We are universal with regards to the fight on terrorism. (Even though we may disagree on the means to acheive success) But you wouldn't dare make the assertion that we historically operate together. Americans act unitarily against threats that face us as Americans.
Similarly, black people may operate together on issues like racism, but we are as diverse in thought as any other group of people. And the only reason that black people are PERCEIVED to be monolithic is because we are BLACK people. Most Iranians aren't crazy like Amhadmendinajad (?!?), all poor Mexicans aren't illegal aliens, and, if it makes people feel better, all white people aren't racist or racially insensitive.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2007, 03:20:54 PM »
I think IF is upset that black people come together on issues and white people don't.  I think he does not see the status quo as coming together on issues.  I think he would like to see a group come together for the purpose of maintaining the status quo, and even furthering it.  Too bad he doesn't realize all he has to do to be apart of this group is be white and particpate in things like formal education and the political process.  I think IF is a fringe white that would like whites to be more radical.  He is not satisfied with the status quo, apparently white people do not have enough power.   
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »
IF is Hispanic--he stated in another thread that he is half-white--that recently was rejected from the SEO Corporate Law Internship, and, is "pretty frustrated" as a result.

So, what better way to vent than complaining about blacks--the quintessential scapegoat of the good old USA.

Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »
he may be hispanic technically, but I'd bet the house he looks white and has enjoyed white privelidge.  if hes hispanic, he should be picketing the hispanic interest groups.  Thats something he could probably do more about
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2007, 03:49:25 PM »
he may be hispanic technically, but I'd bet the house he looks white and has enjoyed white privelidge.

Based on his posts and point of view, I would say that you are correct.  Plus, in another thread, he described himself as Italian/Spanish looking to MCB.
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2007, 04:01:42 PM »
 :(  This has been a really eye-opening process, and one that should bother a lot of people.  As blacks I would expect (but am usually disapointed) to be sensitive to having equality for all races, including the right to organize politically based upon race.  

For what it matters, I am a hispanic with dark features.  One of my parents is a first generation American and the other is not even American.  I've dated a black girl for 3 years and was just the bestman in one of my closest friends wedding who is also black.  But honestly, none of this should matter.

What should matter is trying to pursue equality.  This is something that most of you appear to be uninterested in pursuing beyond your own racial group.  As the true forerunners for this fight in American society this is sad.
And hence, closed minded idiots continue to refuse to work out issues of inequality.  Im sure your forefathers would be proud.

As for this,

So now we're idiots?
it was directed at idiots like Madness and The Bad Guy.  You were making valid points and I enjoyed learning from you.

But most of the rest of these nuts are attacking me instead of my points (making blacks a scapegoat for not getting an internship?  Are you kidding me?)  or making sheerly stupid assumptions (looking at Madness here) that are just wrong on so many different levels.

So with this, I'll bow out, leave the idiots on this thread to their best in law school (scary for the legal future) and wish those of you who actually contributed the very best in school.

And FYI, when white are treated with this sort of attitude they will come away with a less open mind then what many of you have.  If your goal is to keep the status quo, as a few of you charged me with doing, it's working.  But when you question why there is so much prejudice in the world, look back at yourselves and what you might be doing (GASP, YES IT CAN BE YOUR FAULT TOO) to further this negative force.

Peace
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »
it doesn't..so what was the point in mentioning it? :D

I've dated a black girl for 3 years and was just the bestman in one of my closest friends wedding who is also black.  But honestly, none of this should matter.

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...