Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [The Few] White Law Students [Who Don't Quite Get It] Discussion Board  (Read 29215 times)

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: White Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »

Sorry everyone, I just had to reply one last time...

1) The issues of poverty, racism, and diversity in jobs and education are not soley "black" issues. Those issues do disproportionately affect black people, but a fight against injustice aimed at black people has equal effects toward the fight against injustice aimed at all groups of people.

2) My point is that American media does specifically cater to the needs of the white community, while other ethnic groups are either marginalized or excluded. If all American media did was cater to the needs of the white community, I'd have no problem. I love Friends. My problem lies with: (1) Being monolithically portayed and (2) People getting upset when black people watch television that accurately reflects our culuture. (Side Note: BET doesn't count)

4) BET is just now re-introducing news into its programming, so you must be talking about 1993. News at BET didn't exist during Hurricane Katrina.

Black people are more than a color. We are a culture. We have traditions, experiences, and history that distinguish us from other groups of Americans. With all that said, I think to continue this discussion on the premise that black people shouldn't represent their own interests is fruitless. It is culturally insensitive, but also, no one is taking anything from the conversation.

1) It's true that it helps others (though not equally as you contend), but that doesnt take away from the fact that it is aimed toward serving the black community.  The NAACP is, at the very least in practicality, an organization that serves black interests.

2) Still not sure that I understand this, but general American media does not cater solely to the "white" community.  If it did, why would minority newsmen/women, actors/actresses, etc. exist?  People are naturally most comfortable around people that are similar to they are. So why have these "other" people on t.v.?  Because the American media is not only focused on the white community, but on American consumers as a whole.

4) No, I was talking about within the past year.  I don't know if it was around for Katrina, but I do know it has been around for at least a few months.

A black culture does indeed exist in America.  In fact, it has many sub-cultures under it's heading.  And I haven't once tried to contend that blacks shouldn't represent their own interests.  They do, and rightfully so. 

But what I am supporting is the general idea that whites should be allowed their own venue to pursue and support their interests.  They are not, and any mention of doing so is usually met with heavy suspicion.  And, when you have jackasses like the OP who propose this idea the way he/she does it brings even more negative light to this subject.

But when I saw your original post I took issue with the assumption that people who support my idea are ignorant of black issues, culture, and history.  I am aware and have a great deal of respect for them.  I just want the same rights for the rest of people too.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »

2) Still not sure that I understand this, but general American media does not cater solely to the "white" community.  If it did, why would minority newsmen/women, actors/actresses, etc. exist?  People are naturally most comfortable around people that are similar to they are. So why have these "other" people on t.v.?  Because the American media is not only focused on the white community, but on American consumers as a whole.

Seventhson did not state "solely" in his response.  Try re-reading the response.  Really, it only takes basic reading comprehension to get his point; which is that American media specifically cater to the white community, and that the few other ethnic groups represented usually have marginalized roles in that venue.

But what I am supporting is the general idea that whites should be allowed their own venue to pursue and support their interests.  They are not,

Whites have many venues to pursue and support their interests; this includes anywhere on LSD--including BLSD. If anything, a "White Law Student Discussion Board" is redundant.  What will whites discuss On WLSD that they don't/can't discuss elsewhere on the LSD board?

Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »

Seventhson did not state "solely" in his response.  Try re-reading the response.  Really, it only takes basic reading comprehension to get his point; which is that American media specifically cater to the white community, and that the few other ethnic groups represented usually have marginalized roles in that venue.

But what I am supporting is the general idea that whites should be allowed their own venue to pursue and support their interests.  They are not,

Whites have many venues to pursue and support their interests; this includes anywhere on LSD--including BLSD. If anything, a "White Law Student Discussion Board" is redundant.  What will whites discuss On WLSD that they don't/can't discuss elsewhere on the LSD board?

:) Nice jabs.  Ok as*hole, let's do some discourse analysis.

"2) My point is that American media does specifically cater to the needs of the white community, while other ethnic groups are either marginalized or excluded."  Specifically does not equal solely; but it's pretty damn close.  It means "restricted to a particular individual, situation, relation, or effect", and when used, it usually means solely.

"If all American media did was cater to the needs of the white community, I'd have no problem. I love Friends."
This is the portion I have a hard time understanding because it appears contrdictory, though I'm pretty sure it's not meant that way.

"My problem lies with: (1) Being monolithically portayed and (2) People getting upset when black people watch television that accurately reflects our culuture. (Side Note: BET doesn't count)" It's unclear whether 1) is reffering to blacks or whites (the previous sentence was reffering to whites but 2) is reffering to blacks).  If it's blacks, this used to be true, but it's not anymore.  If it's refering to whites this is partially true if you look at whites portrayed in many "black" movies (take a look at a Spike Lee film).  As for 2), who is upset?

I hope my breaking it down for you helps, since you clearly missed the boat the first time.  Why don't you try to re-read it?

As for your second point, you seem to miss the fact that whites don't operate as a largely cohesive community the way that blacks do.  You are assigning the properties of the whole to individuals, a basic logical flaw that, quite frankly, shouldn't be made by someone entering/attending law school.  And your contention that whites have nothing to discuss there that they can't elsewhere doesn't even deserve a response.  (Except to fill you in that they might want to discuss people are simple minded enough to make those kinds of statements)

UVA, 2010

It's the place.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2007, 02:19:51 PM »
As for your second point, you seem to miss the fact that whites don't operate as a largely cohesive community the way that blacks do. 

SMH
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
As for your second point, you seem to miss the fact that whites don't operate as a largely cohesive community the way that blacks do. 

SMH

Yeah, this guy is a real d@uche.   It seems like after he got rejected from the "SEO Corporate Law Internship," he's on some type of rampage.  I'm not going to waste my time on this ignoramus.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »

SMH

Yea I smh'd at that comment too...tsk
Columbia 3L

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2007, 02:26:42 PM »
As for your second point, you seem to miss the fact that whites don't operate as a largely cohesive community the way that blacks doYou are assigning the properties of the whole to individuals, a basic logical flaw that, quite frankly, shouldn't be made by someone entering/attending law school.

I was going to stay away from this thread, but....do you not see your contradiction? You are criticizing The Bad Guy for "assigning the properties of the whole to individuals,"  while you yourself state that blacks "operate as a largely cohesive community?"

It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
And hence, closed minded idiots continue to refuse to work out issues of inequality.  Im sure your forefathers would be proud.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »
As for your second point, you seem to miss the fact that whites don't operate as a largely cohesive community the way that blacks doYou are assigning the properties of the whole to individuals, a basic logical flaw that, quite frankly, shouldn't be made by someone entering/attending law school.

I was going to stay away from this thread, but....do you not see your contradiction? You are criticizing The Bad Guy for "assigning the properties of the whole to individuals,"  while you yourself state that blacks "operate as a largely cohesive community?"

I can see how I should have explained this better, but it's apples and oranges.  The black community has a history, both distant and recent, of operating together.  Of course there are always people who have been outliers, but various groups claim to speak for the African-American community (whether justly or not is another matter)

Whites on the other hand don't really have this.  The KKK have tried at various points, but have been largely ridiculed by the majority of whites (at least in recent times.)
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2007, 02:34:31 PM »

I can see how I should have explained this better, but it's apples and oranges.  The black community has a history, both distant and recent, of operating together.  Of course there are always people who have been outliers, but various groups claim to speak for the African-American community (whether justly or not is another matter)

Whites on the other hand don't really have this.  The KKK have tried at various points, but have been largely ridiculed by the majority of whites (at least in recent times.)