Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Denver University Sturm College of Law class of 2010!!!!  (Read 2314 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Denver University Sturm College of Law class of 2010!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:30 PM »
Just about every one of my professors has discussed this topic during class.  Apparently they have done recent studies on LSAT correlation, GPA correlation, 1L grade correlation, etc and I dont think they have come to a strong conclusion. 

We have a pretty amazing faculty and most of them have teaching experience at other schools. These professors say that our curriculum is on par w/other schools, and further they say that students that take "bar" classes do not necessarily do better than students that take random classes such as Russian law. 

I do know they are trying new things.  For example, they re-did the 1L curriculum, giving us 3 substantive class that last only a semester rather than 5 of 6 that last the full year.  They are trying to get us comfortable w/the bar material from early on by giving us sample test questions, arming us with info, etc. There are numerous initiatives - I cant speak about all of them.

I obviously have not been a law student at another school, but I strongly believe that I am getting the foundation I need in my 1L classes. So... to answer the question, I have no idea why the bar passage rate isnt stronger.
2L

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:19:16 PM »
Oh, and welcome to DU.  You guys will love Denver and you will love the school.  Congrats! :)
2L

4everchanging

• View Profile
    • 4everchanging
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:39:58 PM »
This is a good point, however you have to remember that DU has A LOT of students, far more than CU. Like 900 or something to 300. So more people to fail % wise. Also many law schools are in small towns with few legal jobs for students to work at. DU is smack in the middle of Denver, and there are enough jobs out there from what I have seen for a student who wants them. I am not saying this is the only reason DU has a low bar passage rate, but I think itís a real factor that people don't account for enough.
[/quote]

Very well stated!

chonefiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
Good to hear Cesco. Thanks.

4everchanging

• View Profile
    • 4everchanging
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »
[i]I obviously have not been a law student at another school, but I strongly believe that I am getting the foundation I need in my 1L classes. So... to answer the question, I have no idea why the bar passage rate isnt stronger.
[/quote
][/i]

Cesco,

I appreciate the info!!!! This decision has been EXTREMELY grueling, but I believe that DU is the best option for me; you helped confirm my assumption.

Megan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »
I will also be part of Denvery University Sturm College of Law class of 2010!  I am just about to graduate from Washington State University, but I spend quite a few years of my childhood living in Steamboat Springs CO.

Megan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »
Thank you!  I am excited to be living in CO again.

watson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
I'll be attending Denver in the fall.  I had to switch to night division due to financial reasons. I am excited.  I already have the apartment lined up now I just need the job.
University of Denver - Class of 2010!!

Camaro_Kyle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
Good to hear Watson, congratulations. If I may ask, where did you find housing? I'm still in the debate over living right next to campus or commuting from about 5 miles aways.

watson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 10:20:35 PM »
I am planning on the Silver Cliff Apts.  I didn't have too many choices as I have to have a place that will take my dog.  Not many apartments would accept her.  She is a German Shepherd.  The apartments are nice and only about 15-20 minutes from campus.
University of Denver - Class of 2010!!