Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have to include EVERY single job on my resume???  (Read 1932 times)

Watch Me

• View Profile
Re: Do I have to include EVERY single job on my resume???
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
I second volunteering. Just because your not being paid for it does not mean it can’t be helpful or impressive on your resume. Often you’ll get the chance to do things for free that you could not get a paid job doing yet. So if you wait tables, spend your free time volunteering in the legal community. I also don’t think having a blank spot on your resume is that big a deal, providing you can explain it/show what you did with that time. If I can hold out till 2009 w/o working for pay, I will not have made a salary in a decade. Spent most of it volunteering, that is impressive on it’s own!

Wow! I have to ask - how did you do it? I left a full-time job during undergrad in order to do two internships over the course of a year and I feel so under the water financially. I guess looking back I should have saved more.
Are you getting by on school loans?

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 08:16:30 PM »
FYI you will need to list as well as provide contact info for every job you have ever had for ten years or until you were 18 for the bar, so keep this info someplace where you wonít loose it (your resume is good for that). Because itís a real PIA to find it years later.

This is not exactly correct.

I've looked at the bar applications for New York and California. In New York, it's every job since age 21. In California, it's every job that lasted over 6 months since age 18. This makes it a bit less of a PIA. Maybe for other states it's every little job since age 18.

My understanding of resumes is that you can write down whatever jobs you want out of all the jobs you've actually had. It's your resume and it's supposed to make you look good. Any jobs that you put significant time into should be on your resume whether it looks great or not. There should not be huge time gaps on your resume, or you'll have to explain them.
NYU 2010

Watch Me

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 08:41:38 PM »
I just checked the site for my state and it requires "all part-time and full-time employment as well as periods of unemployment - Account for all time since high school graduation."

At least it gives 12 spots.

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06:57 PM »
I just checked the site for my state and it requires "all part-time and full-time employment as well as periods of unemployment - Account for all time since high school graduation."

At least it gives 12 spots.

That's horrendous. Anyway, if you leave jobs off your resume, as long as you didn't get fired or have serious problems at those jobs, it's not like your resume has to exactly match up with your bar application. Schools, employers, and the bar don't expect you to list everything you've ever done in your life on a 1-page resume.

This seemed like a strange question to begin with.
NYU 2010