Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have to include EVERY single job on my resume???  (Read 1905 times)

Watch Me

• View Profile
Do I have to include EVERY single job on my resume???
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
I haven't actually started the application process yet (taking the June LSAT), but I'm assuming I'll be asked to include a resume or employer history when applying.

If so, my question is do I need to put every job on it? I graduated last December 2006 and right now 2 respected internships top my list of employers. I'll probably just wait tables or do a little office help until I start law school so would I have to include a restaurant as most recent and bump the other places down or should I just leave those off the list?

Or do applications never even ask about employment????

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! 

Watch Me

• View Profile
Re: Do I have to include EVERY single job on my resume???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
Whoa - I had no idea I would need that. Thanks for filling me in. Please tell me that the bar doesn't care if I've had a ton of little jobs here and there thoughout high school, right? As long as it was legal employment? It sucks to have to put down so much history - and how bad does somewhere like, oh, say, Hooters look?

Let me make sure I get it - I'll need the info for every job I have ever held for the past ten years from when I'll be taking the bar? So if I take it when I'm 27, I'll need employers from 17-27.  :o

But as for "until you were 18" - is that list employers I worked for up until the time I was 18 or since the time I was 18?

I know it seems simple but I'm a little confused. And thanks again for the warning. I'll be working on gathering that info. Ugh.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:45:43 PM »
Or do applications never even ask about employment?
Some do, some does not. I have gotten numerous advice it's a good idea to include a resume even if the school doesn't explicitly ask for one.

As for what to include, that's really up to you. What I would advice is to make sure you don't have "gaps" in your resume. If you took a year to just travel the world instead of working or studying, make sure they know why there's an empty void in your background.

Watch Me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
Ok - that timing makes sense now. I'm relieved since that will make my list a lot shorter.

And as for gaps - I have a summer between internships where I didn't work but hopefully that's occasioanlly expected during undergrad (I actually watched my nephew during that time and my sister paid me good $$ but I never actually put her down as an "employer")

Thanks!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
Yeah, of course summers etc not a problem, I was more thinking long periods of emptyness.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »
I haven't actually started the application process yet (taking the June LSAT), but I'm assuming I'll be asked to include a resume or employer history when applying.

If so, my question is do I need to put every job on it? I graduated last December 2006 and right now 2 respected internships top my list of employers. I'll probably just wait tables or do a little office help until I start law school so would I have to include a restaurant as most recent and bump the other places down or should I just leave those off the list?

you're going to wait tables for a year?
I would try and find something more productive to do with your time ... no offense but tables aren't exactly the best resume filler.  Why don't you see about a paralegal job or something?  Personally I would not put waiting tables on your law school resume.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:05:59 PM »
Ive worked so many jobs in the past, i only listed those that were professional"".  I didnt list my job painting houses for a summer or valeting cars for 2 weeks.
Princeton Law 2010

Watch Me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »
I would definitely prefer something legal related, especially since I do have about 16 months before starting school but I haven't been able to find anything. I check my undergrad's career services and a host of job search engines daily.

I'm trying to hold out for something that will actually add to my resume rather than have no effect or detract but the money is getting really tight. Actually, I mean tight as in $0. My 12 year old sister has more in her savings than I do. It's sad. If she asks me to take her to get ice cream, she has to agree to pay for both of us  8)

Really it's a waiting game and how long can I hold out for. I graduated last December and was contemplating moving out of state and next steps and all so I've only really been at the job search for about 5 weeks.

But so far it sucks 

Watch Me

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »
As far as the people who recommend enjoying that last bit before school starts by having an easy type job, I guess they're talking about the summer before LS and not an entire year and a half.

I really do want something that's going to strengthen my app/resume. I just need some patience or some unclaimed money to pop up.

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »

you're going to wait tables for a year?
I would try and find something more productive to do with your time ... no offense but tables aren't exactly the best resume filler.  Why don't you see about a paralegal job or something?  Personally I would not put waiting tables on your law school resume.

Actually, it can be a positive thing to include.  The sample personal statements that Stanford sent me had a Harvard UG graduate who was a paralegal in NYC but moonlighted at Cold Stone, serving ice cream (and singing in appreciation for tips).  She used those two jobs to demonstate her independence + "hustler attitude."  it made for a good read, imo.  Anna Ivey also suggests that it would be beneficial if every lawyer waited tables at some point during their pre-law lives (referring to the skills needed to be a good waiter/waitress), so it's not really viewed in a negative light to put waiting tables on your resume.  As someone mentioned earlier, put a positive spin on it to show the skills acquired. 

Also consider taking up some volunteering, tutoring or paralegal position if you can find them.  If your school's jobs database is no help, send a cover letter and resume to law firms in your area for staff positions.
HLS '10