Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: credit hours vs. semester hours vs. class hours  (Read 4942 times)

radar1

• View Profile
credit hours vs. semester hours vs. class hours
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »
I need some clarification regarding the terms “credit hours” and “semester hours”

Basically, what’s the difference between “semester hours” and “credit hours” and “class hours”?

I’m trying to figure this out for immigration/visa purposes... In Canada, where I did my undergrad, class hours per week = credits.  Is this the same in the US?

If it makes a difference, I’m looking into this in reference to Brooklyn Law.

radar1

• View Profile
Re: credit hours vs. semester hours vs. class hours
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »
bump

please

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
Semester hours, credit hours, and class hours are generally the amount of hours you spend in class per week during the semester. Ex: a four hour class, you attend four days a week for an hour a day. Expect to spend two hours reading for each hour of class material, and another hour per week studying and organizing your notes. So multiply your semester hours x4 or so for an estimate of how many hours you'll work 1L. I have 16 hours, which = 64 hours/week of law school.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:08 PM »
some schools do have odd delineations of time, though.  If you know what school you are going to be dealing with email someone about it, and also request that they send you a course catalog ... information about their crediting system will be in there.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...