Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal Law -- Which School?  (Read 1351 times)

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
Criminal Law -- Which School?
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
I'm sure there aren't that many people out there planning to do Criminal, but it's the area I'm most interested in.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between Colmubia, NYU and Penn. Anyone have any insight as to which of the three is stronger in this area?
CLS 2010!

ty1228

• View Profile
Re: Criminal Law -- Which School?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:46:12 PM »
If you really want criminal out of the schools you are in...UVA. 

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:54:15 PM »
Could you expand on that? I must confess, I haven't really looked all that seriously at UVA at all. How do they stand out from the others when it comes to criminal?
CLS 2010!

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »
Well you are dealing with very good schools all the way around, so I doubt any department will be bad.  With that said, UVA has some amazing clinic opportunities in the area (this year many of the students worked on the Iraq criminal defense of Saddam.  More importantly, Coughlin, Dean Jeffries, and Low are all very notable scholars in the field and excellent lecturers. There are several other opportunities but those are  a couple that I think stand out.  If you want to know more about the names I listed it won't be hard.  They have published a lot (you will probably use Low's hornbook for crim. no matter where you go or at least you should).

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:37:39 PM »
Columbia.  I'm sure you can do criminal law coming from there.;)

Mostly you should just come so that we can sing a few oil thighs and confuse our classmates.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:38:37 AM »
According to Leiter, the Top 10 in Crim Law "Faculty Quality / Scholarly Reputation" in 03-04 were:

1. Columbia University 4.3
   University of Pennsylvania 4.3
3. Harvard University 4.2
4. University of Chicago 4.1
5. University of California, Berkeley 4.0
   University of Texas, Austin 4.0
   University of Virginia 4.0
8. New York University 3.9
   Stanford University 3.9
   Yale University 3.9

http://www.leiterrankings.com/faculty/2003faculty_criminal.shtml

I wouldn't worry between those three fine schools that you have there - just go where you feel you'll be happy spending the next three years.
UT 1L

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
How reputable are the Leiter rankings, by the way?
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

Josh173

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
Do you want to do defense or prosecution?  If prosecution, go to the school with the biggest offer of cash.  Prosecution positions don't pay nearly as well as private practice and if you graduate with 200K in debt, you can forget about prosecuting.

Josh

4-1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input, guys. The fact that all four of the schools are nearly indistinguishable in terms of faculty quality doesn't make my decision any easier, but it does give me more confidence that I'll be well off at whichever one I pick in the end. I guess I'll have to flip through the course offerings again and the clinics.

Oh well.. best get back to studying, for now. Only one exam stands between me and law school!

As for which side I want to be on, I'm mostly interested in the defense side (which I guess is good, since it leaves the private practice door open). I haven't gotten enough cash from any of the schools to make much difference -- 35k from Virginia, 0 from the others :(. I suppose if you factor in the lower COL, UVA would come out 50k cheaper in the end, but.. not sure if that's enough to really influence my decision. I'm Canadian -- if I'm going for cheap law school, I'd just stay in Canada, where tuition is 15k a year, not 40k.

One question for those who know -- how is the housing situation at Penn and UVA? Is there housing near campus? I'm sure housing is much cheaper at both than NYC, but would I pretty much need a car to get around? Having been spoiled by going to a university where absolutely everything is within walking distance for undergrad, I'm not very excited by the prospect of having to buy a car.
CLS 2010!

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »
Definetely don't need a car at penn.  Alot of stuff is close to campus and the public transportation is decent.  Don't know anything about UVA but since it is a small town I would assume that you would need a car.