Law School Discussion

Where to go? 164 LSAT/3.34 GPA: NYC, DC, California? (for International Law)

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
I think you're being overly negative about his chances at GW. A 164/3.34 isn't unheard of at GW full-time, and with a quite remarkable background. While a BA in political science isn't exactly original for law school, a year at Sciences Po is highly impressive, it is without doubt one of the most prestigeous schools in the world. McGill is also a very good school, and a MSc from LSE is also impressive. If you don't mind doing first year part-time, I'd say changing your application to PT from FT would increase your chances a lot, I would actually be surprised to see you not get admitted.

Thanks for the info guys.

My parents are both Iranian immigrants but I was born and raised in Canada, so I don't know how that qualifies me for URM status. Does it even work for international applicants?

And is it normal for people to switch their applications from FT to PT at this point in the cycle? What do you tell them? Can you say you'd still prefer FT if it's available?

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
Well, URM isn't an official status of any sorts. You simply check what your ethnic background is, and then the adcomms decide if you're URM or not. As far as I can tell only African-Americans and Native Indians tend to get URM preference, but it never hurts to hope.

I'd suggest calling them about the FT to PT switch and ask how it works, it's a bit different from school to school. Some schools will accept considering you for both programs, others will ask you to make a decision. Some schools even accept a request for 'reconsideration to PT' if you are rejected to their FT program.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
i hear switching from PT to FT is very easy at GW.

your backround may very well help, but it's not a shoe in of course.

What about San Diego? I figure my chances are pretty good and I could easily see myself living and studying by the beach. If they were to offer money like NYLS, it's a better choice, no?

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
Well, San Diego is a better school, but as most schools in the lower end of T2, it's quite regional. If you're happy working in the SoCal area (and who wouldn't be) its a fine choice, but getting into the NYC job market could be quite difficult.

keelee

• View Profile
What about San Diego? I figure my chances are pretty good and I could easily see myself living and studying by the beach. If they were to offer money like NYLS, it's a better choice, no?

Your chances are excellent at San Diego, and you would have most likely been offered a very good scholarship. I have a 3.25/160 and got $19k a year from USD, which is roughly a 1/2 ride; you'd get at least that, if you had applied earlier (I applied 4 December). However, since you applied late, there might not be scholarship money left for you (though who knows, there still might be). If you go to USD, be prepared to live in San Diego for the long-haul (the degree is not very portable, and it won't even easily take you to Los Angeles), but San Diego is perhaps the definition of the perfect US city, so that is nothing to complain about.

Forget NYLS. Seriously, don't waste your time. Successful students at NYLS are coming from the NYC business world and going to get a JD. Many of the students are older, non-traditional, and already have internships/jobs lined-up for them before they even start, because of connections.

Your chances are excellent at San Diego, and you would have most likely been offered a very good scholarship. I have a 3.25/160 and got $19k a year from USD, which is roughly a 1/2 ride; you'd get at least that, if you had applied earlier (I applied 4 December). However, since you applied late, there might not be scholarship money left for you (though who knows, there still might be). If you go to USD, be prepared to live in San Diego for the long-haul (the degree is not very portable, and it won't even easily take you to Los Angeles), but San Diego is perhaps the definition of the perfect US city, so that is nothing to complain about.

Forget NYLS. Seriously, don't waste your time. Successful students at NYLS are coming from the NYC business world and going to get a JD. Many of the students are older, non-traditional, and already have internships/jobs lined-up for them before they even start, because of connections.

Thanks for the info. You got accepted to USC and Fordham? Where else if you don't mind me asking? I'm still waiting on USC.

Well, URM isn't an official status of any sorts. You simply check what your ethnic background is, and then the adcomms decide if you're URM or not. As far as I can tell only African-Americans and Native Indians tend to get URM preference, but it never hurts to hope.

I'd suggest calling them about the FT to PT switch and ask how it works, it's a bit different from school to school. Some schools will accept considering you for both programs, others will ask you to make a decision. Some schools even accept a request for 'reconsideration to PT' if you are rejected to their FT program.

Some Hispanics get URM status.