Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU vs. Arizona?  (Read 1033 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: SMU vs. Arizona?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 08:38:40 PM »
When did you hear from SMU if you don't mind me asking?

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 09:25:42 PM »
here's the deal.

they are not tearing down the building, they are remodeling the current annex which houses the library, faculty/admin offices, small classrooms etc.

the main lecture halls immediately outside the annex will continue to be used during the construction.

about two blocks away (just north of helen on maple), they have put up a temporary building that will house additional classrooms, offices, study rooms etc. The library collection will be split among a few various building near the school. They are also converting some other buildings right near the temporary building into other stuff for students use-they say we will have a coffee shop, private bookstore and other student study space.

It doesn't sound terrible, but we will see. Everything will be right near the old building and is still in the mix of things so I wouldn't let the rennovations discourage any plans to attend UA. If anything, I imagine that as soon as the work is done, the school will move up in the rankings.

and yes, the updates are MUCH needed. everything you read about the current building is true- I think before I came I read (in a princeton review guide) that the building resembeled an old bomb shelter built in the sixties.

This helps...like I said before, I don't really know anything about UofA Law.  AZlaw09, how's your experience been there so far.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
Why are you considering these schools over a $30K/year scholarship from IU-Bloomington? (Unless, of course, you really hate the Midwest and only applied because of the fee waiver).  What is your expected debt from these schools?

Is SMU part-time?  If you're choosing between SMU and UA, I'd say UA - you can establish residency the 2nd and/or 3rd year.

While TX has more legal markets, SMU is (effectively) tied for 2nd seat with two other schools, Baylor and Houston, and has to compete with the 70+ percent of the UTexas graduating class staying in TX.  UA has a slight edge in AZ and only competes with one other school.

I'd take whatever school is cheapest unless you have a significant preference for one location or the other.

EDIT:  Re: portability.
Note that UA places about 6% of its graduating class with federal judges.  A federal clerkship and a degree from UA will certainly land you a good job in TX.  Of course, you'd probably have to be a stellar applicant to obtain the clerkship, so you might have already gotten that "good job" in TX anyway. Eh.

Honestly, neither travel very well to either market initially.  You really have to make this choice on which place you want to be for the next 5+ years...

TITCR regarding your question about portability.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
I believe that OP is planning on working out a way to go to the same place as his significant other for grad school, so that might not be an option anymore.

azlaw09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »
RE: UA...

I mean, never having experienced any other school it's really hard to say, but I haven't had any major gripes. Out of the 8 instructors I've had this year, I'd say only 2 have been less than decent, a few have been great. The student body is ok. A lot of people say UA is pretty laid back...I don't know if that's true. Although class of 09' could just be an anomoly, there are a lot of people who are very competitive bordering on cut throat in my 1L group. I haven't had much reason to deal with administrators, but they seem to be responsive. I have paid public interest work lined up for the summer in a area of law I am interested in. Career services set me up with the job, so I am pleased with them so far. I also know that they have set people up with firm jobs and judicial clerkships as well.  The workload is very reasonable and after 1l there is tons of clinical and clerkship/internships you can do during the semester for credit.

There are definitely a lot of non academic perks as well...cheap rent, nice weather etc...

I am a little nervous about the rennovations, but I am sure the admin will accomodate us.

LMK if you have any specific questions about the school.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 01:49:55 AM »
Just to throw in the NALP numbers...

TX offices at UA - 2, Greenberg Traurig (Dallas & Houston)
AZ offices at SMU - 2, Greenberg Traurig (Phoenix) and Maricopa County Attorney

AZ offices at UA - 22
TX offices at SMU - 68

Essentially, you should do just fine if you end up working in the state where your school is located, but in going SMU->AZ or UA->TX it's going to be an uphill battle either way.
UT 1L

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
I would love to go to IU-Bloomington, especially with the scholarship, and the fact that they offered me a $5K stipend to go along with everything else, but my fiance didn't get into the grad school she was hoping to in Bloomington, so it's out of the question now, even though it would have been an obvious first choice had she gotten in.

I got a call from the SMU Admissions office on April 12th at about noon, saying they were offering admission and more info was coming in the mail.  A couple days later I got my scholarship info in a big blue folder.  The only downside to going there is that I'll be part-time, but maybe I'll be able to switch at some point.

Obviously for me, being at UA right now, and already a resident, Arizona would be the best option...buy my fiance hasn't heard back yet, so it may not work out.  She is already in at a school in Dallas, so that is a guaranteed place we could go together.  If Tulane gives me a better deal than SMU, that would become a better option if Arizona denies her admission,since she has an offer from a school in New Orleans too. 

This waiting game is killing me though.