Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU vs. Arizona?  (Read 1009 times)

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
SMU vs. Arizona?
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:35:09 PM »
Ok, so I've narrowed down my school's to SMU and Arizona, both of which I didn't even think I would get into, so both are completely fine with me.  My question is, what are my chances of going to SMU and finding a good job in Arizona if I decide move there, and what are my chances of getting a job in Dallas if I go to Arizona? Obviously if I want to live in Arizona i should go to arizona, but my question is basically whether each one travels well to the other location.  good job = $70K for me. 

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SMU vs. Arizona?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »
Ok, so I've narrowed down my school's to SMU and Arizona, both of which I didn't even think I would get into, so both are completely fine with me.  My question is, what are my chances of going to SMU and finding a good job in Arizona if I decide move there, and what are my chances of getting a job in Dallas if I go to Arizona? Obviously if I want to live in Arizona i should go to arizona, but my question is basically whether each one travels well to the other location.  good job = $70K for me. 

If you want three years of ridiculously hot women, great weather, non-stop partying, and amazing mexican food, UofA is for you (I myself am an alum, though not of the Law School, obviously). But I have no idea how it travels to Dallas. Also, Arizona's law building is perhaps the ugliest law facility in the country.
Penn Law '09

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm a UA undergrad myself, so I know the greatness of it. Just haven't figured out yet if I'm going to leave arizona, or stay for good.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 01:17:26 AM »
Honestly, neither travel very well to either market initially.  You really have to make this choice on which place you want to be for the next 5+ years...

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:19:33 AM »
update your LSN!

congrats on SMU and Arizona... I still havent heard from either, hah

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »

If you want three years of ridiculously hot women, great weather, non-stop partying, and amazing mexican food, UofA is for you (I myself am an alum, though not of the Law School, obviously). But I have no idea how it travels to Dallas. Also, Arizona's law building is perhaps the ugliest law facility in the country.

Im in at UofA also and know nothing about it...I did receive a letter saying they were remodeling the building in a project that may take 12-18months...The good news is that its supposed to be light years ahead of the current building...The bad news is that all classes will be held in alternate locations for the time being.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
yeah, but the alternate locations are about 200 feet away from the original building, so it's really not a big deal.  The current building is pretty old. 

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
yeah, but the alternate locations are about 200 feet away from the original building, so it's really not a big deal.  The current building is pretty old. 

Oh, ok..I saw the map of the new locations but had nothing to compare them to as I've never been to Arizona's campus...I've seen SMU and really like downtown Dallas...

What do you think of Tucson and/or Phoenix?  How would you feel about working in either for 5+ years after Law School? 
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »

What the deal with this??? I havent heard... are they ripping down those terrible buildings and holding classes in AME or something?

azlaw09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 08:33:22 PM »
here's the deal.

they are not tearing down the building, they are remodeling the current annex which houses the library, faculty/admin offices, small classrooms etc.

the main lecture halls immediately outside the annex will continue to be used during the construction.

about two blocks away (just north of helen on maple), they have put up a temporary building that will house additional classrooms, offices, study rooms etc. The library collection will be split among a few various building near the school. They are also converting some other buildings right near the temporary building into other stuff for students use-they say we will have a coffee shop, private bookstore and other student study space.

It doesn't sound terrible, but we will see. Everything will be right near the old building and is still in the mix of things so I wouldn't let the rennovations discourage any plans to attend UA. If anything, I imagine that as soon as the work is done, the school will move up in the rankings.

and yes, the updates are MUCH needed. everything you read about the current building is true- I think before I came I read (in a princeton review guide) that the building resembeled an old bomb shelter built in the sixties.