University of Wisconsin Class of 2010
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
Any other soon to-be-badgers out there?  ;D

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Wisconsin Class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:17:04 AM »
I wish.  Badger undergrad, and I completely underestimated how LSAT scores are going down and Wisconsin residency plays a factor.  Didn't apply, should have.  Oh well, it's a great school and a GREAT town and you guys will have a blast for 3 years.  You'll also get to watch the Hockey, Basketball, and Football teams win National Championships while you're there ;)

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
waitlisted. I really want to go but it would costs so much to move up there- moving expenses plus a winter wardrobe. I've lived in FL so long that I dont even have close toed shoes anymore

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
I was accepted, but they havent offered any money to me yet, and i doubt they will for that matter.  So, I wont attend....just cant justify going 140k in debt for a regional school.

donvito

• Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »
well i just got back from madison today and i loved it.  granted, i picked one of the better days to visit...although it ended up raining in the evening.  but, most of the day was absolutely gorgeous.  my college buddy who is a 1L gave me a tour and yeah...i fell in love.  the catch is i'm still not in--i should be finding out soon, but i think have a good shot.  i did my undergrad at Michigan...and I'm from the SF Bay Area.  I totally loved the campus--a cross between Ann Arbor and Berkeley...although the school definitely has more of a Berkeley feel to it, sans homeless people.

im in at loyola-chicago and U Miami...but i would think at this point, i prefer wisconsin to loyola.  and miami is appealing because of my latin heritage.  so we shall see.  hopefully i'll get into UW though...

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:13:05 PM »
Well, you must not have spent much time on State Street, because there are plenty of homeless people there, but the campus is pretty much all students.  I'll also say that there are many more social distractions at Wisconsin than at Michigan.  I had a law student T.A. for a First Amendment class in the undergrad poli sci department that I took who came into the discussion section every Friday and we went around the room talking about what bars we were at last night.  The law student went out more than any undergrad.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Does anyone know whether out of state students qualify for residency after a year or two?

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »
Definitely not.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
Does anyone know whether out of state students qualify for residency after a year or two?

Perhaps you'll find this helpful (according to UW-Madison's Office of the Registrar)
http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/faq.php?ans=all

If you enter and remain in Wisconsin principally to attend an educational institution during the twelve months you are attempting to establish bona fide residence in Wisconsin, you are presumed to continue to reside outside the state. This presumption remains in effect until you are able to demonstrate you have overcome the presumption with clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence in the state for the year next preceding a term for which you wish to enroll at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin Statutes 36.27.(2) Section (e).

Generally, a student who enters Wisconsin to attend any educational institution will continue in the nonresident status until the student's reason for being in Wisconsin is clearly shown to be non-educational. Twelve months after the change in the student's reason for being in Wisconsin, the student may wish to inquire about appealing their nonresident status.

If you are unsure whether you qualify for resident tuition under any provision of the Statute, contact the Office of the Registrar residence Counselors: (608)262-1355; 21 N. Park Street, Suite 7200S, Madison WI, 53715-1218; res4tuition@em.wisc.edu .

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »
Thank you badgerlaw.  I guess that is a no, then.