Law School Discussion

Am I crazy to want GULC over NU with $$$$?

Am I crazy to want GULC over NU with $$$$?
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »
Okay- so I have a huge dilemma- I really want to go to GULC (interested in Environmental Law, public Interest and possibly going into politics). However GULC has offered me no $$$ and Northwestern has offered me $60,000.

What should I do? I am am at my wit's end with this decision.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I crazy to want GULC over NU with $$$$?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
You really want to go to GULC, so go to GULC.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
But isn't $60,000 going to be quite liberating for someone set on Public Interest?

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »
But isn't $60,000 going to be quite liberating for someone set on Public Interest?

The $60,000 would be beneficial in helping you decrease your debt. But it sounds to me like you really want to go to GULC and the only reason you are considering NU is because of the money they offered (I could be wrong). If that is the case go to GULC and never look back. You should always pick the school that you feel is the better fit for you.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 05:45:56 PM »

Yeah, but it sounds like you really want to be at GULC. Did you contact GULC and tell them about your NU scholarship? They're pretty good about matching.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »
I will call GULC Monday- I only just got the scholarship offer.
Money is not the only decider of course- smaller class sizes, more friendly atmosphere also come into play, but of course in the end it really comes down the the $$$. I want kids soonish, and know from current experience how little PI can pay.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 07:34:19 PM »
I went to GULC with offers from NU and Duke and they offered something (though not a matching offer) - if you emphasize your preference for Gtown, they should do the same for you.   

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:05:53 AM »
Has GULC already sent you your aid package with no scholarship $$, or have they yet to send it?  You'd think that 60K from a higher ranked school would translate into a comparable offer from GULC, so who knows.  If the choice comes down to NU w/ $$ v. GULC w/ 0, you probably should take a harder look at NU since both schools place very well nationally, but NU will do it for 60K less.  For now you should find out how the two schools' LRAP programs compare - I hear NU's is actually quite good, so PI w/ scholarship $$ from NU may be a very good option.  That said, if your heart is set on GULC for a variety of reasons, by all means go to GULC.