Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any thoughts on Syracuse?  (Read 1000 times)

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
any thoughts on Syracuse?
« on: April 21, 2007, 04:26:34 PM »
Hey everyone, Im applying to law school next semester and one of the places im looking at is syracuse... i would be applying to the joint jd/mpa program and im pretty sure it shouldnt be a big concern about getting in... does anybody know about the employment prospects for syracuse grads? particularly in firm settings.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: any thoughts on Syracuse?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:39:28 PM »
I got accepted to Syracuse last month. I was really pumped about their family law program and great clinics, and Syracuse also has a great disability clinic, don't know if you are interested in that.

According to the latest US News and World Report rankings, 60.7% of 2005 grads were employed at graduation, while 95.1% were employed within 9 months of graduating.  43% of 2005 grads were employed at law firms.

It seems like a good T3 school and I was thrilled to get in, but I had to withdraw because of the price.  This year they instituted a fixed-rate tuition plan (ie tuition will be the same for all three years of law school) but tutition alone was $42,000...ridiculous! You'd have to make serious money to pay all of that back, and they simply don't seem to have too many grads that make enough money to do that.  2005 grads in the 25th salary percentile made $45,000, while those in the 75th percentile made $75,000.

If you can get some financial aid, that's great.  I did not qualify for merit aid so that was off the list, and unfortunately, Syracuse is one of the law schools that considers your parents' income in determining your financial need.  All of their paperwork clearly states that they will not consider you for college of law tuition grants unless your parents fill out all of their financial information. Don't know if this will be an issue for you or not, but it was for me.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you! :)

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »
thanks! ..quite helpful.. Im not sure what to think of the fixed rate tuition, it might not be bad over the 3 years but it probably does make it difficult the first year at least. I think the employment stats are pretty good for a 3rd tier school, actually i think its probably one of the better third tier schools.. anybody know why syracuse is even in the third tier.. is there something that makes it a third tier school that should be questioned by potential applicants?

Jen2bJD, Good luck to you too!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:07:56 AM »
syracuse is third tier because it is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't place that well in major markets.  The mpa program, however, changes that.  It is a selective program and is known as one of the better programs in the nation.  it will increase your job prospects, but maybe not in firm settings ... more so in government and PI
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:38 AM »
ok bamf thanks for your input.

one of the strong points ive heard of is due to how old syracuse is, ive heard they have a pretty strong alumni base? not that its something thats really important or anything this soon to be closely looking at, but for a 3rd tier school i think syracuse is probably one of the better ones in the 3rd tier.

boulevardier

• Sr. Citizen
  • Chicago!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:16:10 PM »
I don't know anything about Syracuse so I don't have an opinion, but these are Syracuse students' responses from the Vault re employment prospects. Obviously anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

Submitted April 2004.
"SU has a solid career services office.  It also has a national reputation, which is helpful to students who don't know where they want to be upon graduation or a few years down the road.  The career services office is always workoing to increase campus recruiting and network for more career placement options.  Like any school that isn't in the Top 20 of law schools, SU fight hards for the top jobs and does place students at large law firms and in clerkshops."

Submitted: January 2004.
"Basically you tell them what you want to do and then do it yourself.  The big jobs do not come to this area.  The recruiting is for basically the top five percent of the class."

Submitted: June 2004.
"Despite the school's claims to the contrary, SU is not a national law school.  This means that if you want to work for Whit eand Case, Cadwalder, or some other h uge firm you better be in the top ten in your class at the end of first year or else give up on that dream now.  Also, if you don't want to work in the Northeast, meaning upstate NY, you will have to find a lot of yo ur own opportunities.  SU does not have great connections in Boston.  The cities you would have the best chance of getting a job in are: Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, NYC, Philadelphia, and maybe Albany.

Although SUCOL has a good reputation among attorneys and the bench within NY, it is not well known outsisde of the East Coast.  The standing of the school also suffered greatly between 1999 and 2001."
Being a boulevardier is an ancillary bullsh*t occupation that must feed off a core job that produces income. premier boulevardier of our time, George Hamilton, acts to support his tan and his bon vivant lifestyle...

The upside: Barry Diller always says hello.

The dark side: Skin cancer.

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »
the vault quotes are helpful, although yeah they are just peoples' opinions its still something.. from those comments it sounds like its a decent option if u want to stay in the northeast (which I do) after law school.. so syracuse isnt sounding too bad!

CHAOS25

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:30:13 PM »
Hi there.  While Syracuse is expensive, if you are pursuing a dual degree, the fixed tuition will apply for at least four years and if you recieved scholarships through the College of Law they also apply toward both degrees.  That is actaully a pretty good deal in my opinion. 

Also (according to the aba data on lsac.org and the SU Law website), the average reported starting salary for 2006 graduates working in private practise is ~$73,000 (personally, I question some of the US News data).  As far as being regional in respect to upstate New York, ~50% of grads work in New York, of that ~50 work in NYC. 

I believe Syaracuse's location in economically depressed region (central New York), and it's proximity to other law market saturated with top law school grads and grads from local law schools is one reason that prevents it from reaching higher in the rankings. 

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:21:50 PM »
CHAOS25... the fixed tuition rate would definitely be a help in the long term over the 3 years..and its also great that u can get the MPA and the JD in 3 years..not even the normal 4 for joint degrees! I think if I decide that I do not want to go to a school in nyc I think syracuse is sounding like a solid option.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Hey everyone, Im applying to law school next semester and one of the places im looking at is syracuse... i would be applying to the joint jd/mpa program and im pretty sure it shouldnt be a big concern about getting in... does anybody know about the employment prospects for syracuse grads? particularly in firm settings.

What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

As others have stated, the tuition is very expensive for a school with limited regional
pull.

If you're going for the MBA program, however, then it might be worthwhile, but I'd be wary of making this my first choice.