Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August  (Read 11120 times)

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
Re: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
5k=3mi
Marathon=26mi
University of Miami Class of 2010

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »
5k=3mi
Marathon=26mi

Didn't realize marathon had such a specific meaning. yikes.

Oddibemcd

• Sr. Citizen
  • Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »
You say start slow - like 5 minutes running? 10 minutes jogging? 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking repeated for 30 minutes? I've heard a bunch of suggestions, but I've also heard miracle stories of sedentary, overweight people turning their lives around and running marathons. HOW do they improve - where do they start?  ;D

Well, start slow - not short. It's better with 30min walking than 10min jogging. If you're able to, do a mix of jogging and walking perhaps, relax when you get too tired, but never stop always keep moving. Any form of exercise should be at least 30minutes long, it takes your body some time to get started on burning calories.

Depending on where you are in your training, I'm not sure this is the wholly credited response. I have had success with high intensity interval training, but I tend to think it is more effective for people that are close to the shape they want to be, rather than those who are just starting out.http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp. When I was in good shape, this was a great break up from the monotony of jogging. There are studies (that the article cites) that show that HIIT can burn more fat than simple cardio.
Attending: Cornell
In: Cornell, G-Town, W&M(w), FSU(w), U of Cincinnati(w), Santa Clara(w)
Held: Northwestern(w)
Waitlisted: Cardozo(w), Michigan(w), Penn
Out: Chicago, Yale, NYU, Columbia

171/3.4

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
You say start slow - like 5 minutes running? 10 minutes jogging? 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking repeated for 30 minutes? I've heard a bunch of suggestions, but I've also heard miracle stories of sedentary, overweight people turning their lives around and running marathons. HOW do they improve - where do they start?  ;D

Well, start slow - not short. It's better with 30min walking than 10min jogging. If you're able to, do a mix of jogging and walking perhaps, relax when you get too tired, but never stop always keep moving. Any form of exercise should be at least 30minutes long, it takes your body some time to get started on burning calories.

Depending on where you are in your training, I'm not sure this is the wholly credited response. I have had success with high intensity interval training, but I tend to think it is more effective for people that are close to the shape they want to be, rather than those who are just starting out.http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp. When I was in good shape, this was a great break up from the monotony of jogging. There are studies (that the article cites) that show that HIIT can burn more fat than simple cardio.

This type of interval training seems to be the flavor of the month/season with most muscle based publications (Mens Health, Mens Fitness, etc). I think it has some merit to it in terms of the increased caloric usage but it does nothing to really develop a person's cardiovascular system. Aerobic glycosis and oxygen distribution systems are hardly improved with this limited anaerobic based work.

I think it would be dangerous for any novice to try this out, esp. those with a considerable amount to weight lose. It will take some time to build up the aerobic endurance and support mechanisms for this sort of work. That said, for someone in reasonable shape, like the above poster said, it can really be a great change up to the routine.
Air Force JAG Corps

lioness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »
Marathon = 26.2 miles (and those last two tenths of a mile really hurt….)

Drinking water while running -> They make special water bottles that have indentations for your fingers and a neoprene (spelling?) holder that you slip over your hand. So, you can grip the water bottle while you are running, or you can relax your hand and the neoprene holder keeps the water bottled attached to your hand. If I run out of water along a run, I stop at McD’s, Burger King, etc., and re-fill from the fountain machine (there’s a button just for water).

Unless it's stinking hot and humid, I generally don't need to run with water for the 1st 6 miles. Any distance over that, and I carry my water bottle. My water bottle is 20 ounces. I add a dash of salt to it. In the Summer, the salt is for me. In the Winter, the salt lowers the temp at which my water bottle freezes up (oh, and it does here in New England).

As for buying groceries frugally, check the flyers for sales. Buy whatever fruits and vegetables are on sale that week. Summer is your friend. Watermelon and all sorts of other fruits are much cheaper in the summer. There are times in the summer that you can get those $5.00 containers of blueberries for 69 cents. It’s all about what is in season. Even in the dead of winter, you can find seedless grapes for $1.99 per pound. You get *a lot* of grapes in a pound. Near Christmas, you can get a 5 pound box of clementines for about $5.00. Just look around and see what the ‘usual’ prices are for produce, then watch for them to go on sale. You’ll see that something is on sale every week. Those $4.99 per pound cherries drop to 99 cents per pound during the season.

Ditto for chicken breasts (someone may have already mentioned this). Wait until chicken breasts are $1.99 per pound, and then buy a lot of them. Divvy them up w/ sheets of saran wrap in between them, put them into ziplock bags and freeze them. This way, it's easy to take 1 or 2 out. Small whole chickens go on sale for anywhere from 69 to 99 cents per pound. Buy some cheap Lemon Pepper seasoning (and I do mean cheap. I’ve bought the expensive brands and the cheap .50 to .99 cents per bottle brand that you find at CVS, Walgreens, etc., is just as good).  Wash the chicken, shake the LP seasoning on the chicken, put it in a pan, pop it into a 350 degree oven for 2 hours and you’ll be amazed at how good it is. Plenty of leftovers for chicken salad, etc.

Tuna in water is your friend. Packed w/ protein. You can get some varieties for 2 or 3 for a $1.00 or the fancy albacore type for 88 cents to $1.00 per can on sale.

When cheese is on sale, buy it and freeze it (yes, even those bags of pre-shredded cheeses).

Never drink your calories. Drink water, fruit flavored water (like Fruit H20, etc), Crystal Light, diet soda, etc.

It sounds like you have health insurance. Call your health insurance and see if they'll pay for a visit (1 hour) w/ a dietician. You may find it eye opening. Develop a good relationship w/ a primary care physician. As others have mentioned, a Dr. who can follow your progress may be of more help to you than a healthcare worker at a health fair that you only get to see once.

Another good running web site (for beginners or experienced runners) is Galloway’s web site: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Best of luck to you! You sound like you are ready for a healthier new you!

Good for you for getting out there and running every day! Keep it up.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »

Tuna in water is your friend.

not if you're a woman who plans to have kids its not...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2007, 08:24:08 PM »
the last time I was at a lecture on the subject (roughly a year ago) the speaker (who wrote part of a book on the subject) was still pretty against women eating any amount of tuna because of the amounts of mercury that build up as it eats large amounts of smaller fish.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2007, 10:34:08 PM »
I'm losing weight!!!!

2 lbs are gone.

LSD peeps are my friends 4 ever!  ;D

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:21 PM »
Good job man keep it up.  If I can give you a little tip though.  Try not to weigh your self constantly.  Sometimes you will get positive results but if you at a lot of salt or something the day before your weigh can fluctuate up to 5 pounds heavier.  Keep it up though man.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »
Again, excellent advice.

When cutting weight for crew, we were always aware that we "floated" 2-5 lbs any given day. Monday might be 182 but Tuesday would be 187 for no reason other than water retention. We were no fatter nor leaner, just a different weight.
I would really avoid weighing in more than once a week. If you track your weekly progress, you will get a general sense of your loses without having the devastation of being "heavy" on a given day.

So, good job on the loss so far. I promise you, if you stay on top of the nutritional upgrades and keep the gradual exercise up, the weight will come off.
Air Force JAG Corps