Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August  (Read 11066 times)

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »
I've gottan a lot of good recipes out of the Eating for Life book by Bill Philips and my favorite is the Vanilla Malt that is made with Protein Powder.  It's simply 8 oz of milk with a scoop of protein powder and 1tbsp. of vanilla malted milk, 2 tbsp. of vanilla pudding mix and 6 ice cubes all blended together in a blender.  It's really good. 

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »

As long as you are not relying on a powder for most of your daily caloric intake, I think it can be a great way to limit the size and calorie content of 1-2 meals a day. The taste issue can be overcome by buying better protein (I'm a loyal Optimum Nutrition buyer), mixing it with skim milk (water is disgusting), and adding frozen fruit/yogurt to the blender. My breakfast is usually 1.5 scoops of the protein powder (30 grams or so of protein), 12 ounces of skim milk (12 grams protein) and a 3/4 cup of frozen berries. I blend it all together. Fantastic way to start the day and something that will keep me full till my 10:30 snack.

Ok, no doubting this is good for you and all, but I could not help thinking this just sounds so unappetizing. I mean a decent breakfast to me is two pieces of cold pizza, a beer and six cigarettes until my 10:30 snack, which is scotch. 

I do like power bars though, dipped in scotch.

It's a bit to get used to. It all depends on paradigm. The protein shake is "good" on its own, just not "good" compared to scotch and pizza (both of which I love so much).

That's why some of my advice from the other day was to stop viewing food as something good/a reward. By forcing myself to view it in terms of "fuel", abstaining from less enticing food is easier.
Air Force JAG Corps

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2007, 06:32:03 PM »
I'm in the middle of the aformentioned couch to 5K program right now.

Good stuff.

Is it really good? I just read the site - looks good. But do you just keep checking your watch every minute or can you program your music to change after a certain amount of time?
(<--- technologically inept)

If you have an iPod, go to the second site I posted and download the nine podcasts.  The guy tells you when to change speeds and provides music in the intervals.

Do you have to do anything other than click the subscribe tab? I use my iPod all the time for music, just never have downloaded any podcast.  ???

IIRC, subscribing just gives you new podcasts (which there aren't for this).  You actually need to download all nine individually by going to the Podcasts page and clicking on each week's podcast.

(This took me forever to figure out, and it was a while ago, so hopefully I'm telling you correctly!)
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
You say start slow - like 5 minutes running? 10 minutes jogging? 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking repeated for 30 minutes? I've heard a bunch of suggestions, but I've also heard miracle stories of sedentary, overweight people turning their lives around and running marathons. HOW do they improve - where do they start?  ;D

Well, start slow - not short. It's better with 30min walking than 10min jogging. If you're able to, do a mix of jogging and walking perhaps, relax when you get too tired, but never stop always keep moving. Any form of exercise should be at least 30minutes long, it takes your body some time to get started on burning calories.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »
You say start slow - like 5 minutes running? 10 minutes jogging? 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking repeated for 30 minutes? I've heard a bunch of suggestions, but I've also heard miracle stories of sedentary, overweight people turning their lives around and running marathons. HOW do they improve - where do they start?  ;D

Well, start slow - not short. It's better with 30min walking than 10min jogging. If you're able to, do a mix of jogging and walking perhaps, relax when you get too tired, but never stop always keep moving. Any form of exercise should be at least 30minutes long, it takes your body some time to get started on burning calories.

Credited.
It takes about 20 minutes to burn through existing glycogen in the blood/other easy access stores, and actually begin aerobically burning fat.

Fitness pundits argue quite a bit over the 1) Fat loss is simply a net caloric deficit (less calories in than calories expended); 2) Fat loss is more expedient when heart rate and duration are targeted toward max time in the oxygen rich fat burning zones.

That debate is not really useful for anyone, but esp. for a novice. The only way to build your endurance up is through distance and time. I agree 100% than 30 minutes of lower intensity > 10 minutes of medium/high intensity. Not only is it physiologically more efficient but, as noted previously, it limits the opportunity for injury.
Air Force JAG Corps

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »

I just want to reiterate that I think too many people (myself included) confuse getting tired with getting bored.  I have the bad habit of quitting my cardio after 20-25 minutes, not because I couldn't do more but because I don't want to do more.  That's probably pretty common.   
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
I also wanted to throw out there on the issue of food and calories.  One thing you have to remember is you have to eat enough.  Trying to just worry about calories isn't really going to work at least for me because your body just slows its metabolism way down.  I've found eating 6 small meals of about 350 - 400 calories allowed me to lose more weight than drastically cutting calories.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »
I also wanted to throw out there on the issue of food and calories.  One thing you have to remember is you have to eat enough.  Trying to just worry about calories isn't really going to work at least for me because your body just slows its metabolism way down.  I've found eating 6 small meals of about 350 - 400 calories allowed me to lose more weight than drastically cutting calories.

HIGHLY credited. Many fitness models/bodybuilders can attest to the effectiveness of 5-6 small meals v. 2-3 big ones.

The way I was taught this is through the following analogy:
Your metabolism is a campfire. Your goal is to keep it burning as hot as possible the entire day. Like any fire, if you throw just some little sticks on it (snacking on junk food), it will burn them quickly and then go out. Likewise, if you throw a massive log on there (traditional giant meals), it will either put the fire out or take forever for the fire to get burning.
The ideal "log" is a medium sized one that the fire can burn effectively but will also burn for some time.
Air Force JAG Corps

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »
Excellent analogy.  In my opinion this is the most important thing about losing weight.  Actually eating good foods and not starving yourself.  The reason I use to be so fat is because I just ate one large meal in the evening and that just got stored.  Eating healthy foods that aren't loaded with bad fats and that sort of thing you will be suprised by how much you have to eat to get 2000 calories a day.  I promise you won't feel deprived at all.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »
What I do as far as food is just eat until I feel the first hint of fullness. That way, you train yourself not to overeat. Furthermore, your stomach will shrink now that you are not filling it to its capacity. You'll then be less hungry, satisfied on less food, and just eating less overall.

Don't just eat what's in front of you. STOP when you feel the food hit your stomach.
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw