Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August  (Read 11079 times)

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2007, 01:48:08 PM »
FYI I bought some South Beach Diet breakfast burritos this weekend, had one this morning. Not bad as processed frozen diet food goes. Lots of salsa helps too. Maybe that can replace your breakfest taco.

South Beach Diet pizzas are really, really good too.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2007, 02:38:25 PM »
I am going to do this plan too

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
The 5k thing looks really cool.  I gave the podcasts a try this morning and thought i was a sweet idea.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
Ok this is a stupid question - but clearly as I'm new to running and want to start the couch to 5k thing today... what do you do with your water while running?  :D Do you carry it with you or just go thirsty until the end of the run? I can't imagine carrying a bottle of water with me, but I know I'll get thirsty.

Lol
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »
yeah carrying water with you is hard, though I do see people wearing camelbacks on the trail sometimes.  Personally I just make sure I am constantly well hydrated ... if you are getting enough water throughout the day and week you will be less thirsty during your run.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
i haven't read through the entire thread; just want to supply the best information i know of:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/high_blood_pressure.html

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/weightloss.html

the physicians committee for responsible medicine really knows where its at
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
Something you might consider trying..

I recently decided to use protein shakes as a meal replacement, since i'm pretty bad at eating breakfast and i like the mindlessness of it all. They help you lose weight, jump-start your metabolism in the morning, and are soooo easy that I think it will be nicely incorporated into my Law School routine. Go for a low calorie-low carb powder and in 150 calories you've got mega protein to keep you going throughout your morning. Added bonus, I got a 6lb bag from Costco and I'm going to get 75 meals out of it. That has to be cheaper and easier than oatmeal and tacos everyday.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
Something you might consider trying..

I recently decided to use protein shakes as a meal replacement, since i'm pretty bad at eating breakfast and i like the mindlessness of it all. They help you lose weight, jump-start your metabolism in the morning, and are soooo easy that I think it will be nicely incorporated into my Law School routine. Go for a low calorie-low carb powder and in 150 calories you've got mega protein to keep you going throughout your morning. Added bonus, I got a 6lb bag from Costco and I'm going to get 75 meals out of it. That has to be cheaper and easier than oatmeal and tacos everyday.

Is this like Slimfast or something diffrent? I don't belong to Costco. :(

Well that's your first mistake right there. I'm an old school Costco troll, but I'll save that for another day.

It's actually EAS Premium Protein, nothin' fancy or diet related about it. They all do the same thing as long as you're using it as a meal replacement. I'm not gonna lie, it takes a while to get used to the consistency (gritty water, yummy) but I feel like I'm becoming more lean already. 

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2007, 04:51:23 PM »
1. In regard to the water while running: Short of the Camel Packs or those fanny pack things with water bottle holders, there is no great way to carry it around. I feel that a weight-bearing exercise such as running makes carrying a great amount of water around just impracticable. I tend to drink a fair amount of fluid before I go on a run. If it will be a long run (over an hour) or on hot days, I will plan my run around parks w/ water fountains or public buildings that have fountains. Some friends of mine will just carry $2 and stop at  gas-station if needed.
As noted previously, if you stay well hydrated throughout the day and week, and baring incredibly hot weather, you should be in decent shape without water if you are running 20-60 minutes.

2. I like protein powder as a meal replacement (but only one meal). When I rowed, I needed it as a primary source of affordable protein but I still use it as a law student. Protein (in terms of being a macronutrient) will fill you up for a while. It also is highly dense and complex, so your body actually needs to expend more calories to break digest it.

As long as you are not relying on a powder for most of your daily caloric intake, I think it can be a great way to limit the size and calorie content of 1-2 meals a day. The taste issue can be overcome by buying better protein (I'm a loyal Optimum Nutrition buyer), mixing it with skim milk (water is disgusting), and adding frozen fruit/yogurt to the blender. My breakfast is usually 1.5 scoops of the protein powder (30 grams or so of protein), 12 ounces of skim milk (12 grams protein) and a 3/4 cup of frozen berries. I blend it all together. Fantastic way to start the day and something that will keep me full till my 10:30 snack.
Air Force JAG Corps

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2007, 05:20:20 PM »
I'm in the middle of the aformentioned couch to 5K program right now.

Good stuff.

Is it really good? I just read the site - looks good. But do you just keep checking your watch every minute or can you program your music to change after a certain amount of time?
(<--- technologically inept)

If you have an iPod, go to the second site I posted and download the nine podcasts.  The guy tells you when to change speeds and provides music in the intervals.

Do you have to do anything other than click the subscribe tab? I use my iPod all the time for music, just never have downloaded any podcast.  ???
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain