Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August  (Read 10879 times)

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Obese and Hypertensive: what to do before August
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:32 AM »
You may have already realized this, but I've found that fresh fruits and vegetables are actually the cheapest food you can buy.  The price fluctuates alot, but my local supermarket had bananas as low as 88 cents for four pounds once, and its usually around a dollar a pound.  Same price for carrots.  And yogurt is really cheap too, makes for a good snack or breakfast.

True story.  Dannon Light 'n Fit only has 60 calories.  Like I said before though, Trader Joe's is the way to go for fruits.  Bananas are .19, apples & oranges .39...always.  :)

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »
How do you guys start running? I hateeeeeeeeee exercise but I know it's good for me and I should do something

How do you all go for miles and miles and hours and hours? I'm like dead after a 10 minute jog  :P

Do you have any recommendations or schedule idea for an amateur?  ;D I want to be one of those people running around pretty beaches for hours
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:58 AM »
Do you have any recommendations or schedule idea for an amateur?  ;D I want to be one of those people running around pretty beaches for hours

start slow, work up; consult professional FIRST if you have potential health issues (such as obesity or hypertension).

Yeah, no, I don't have any potential health issues (no high-blood pressure, average to underweight). My doctor was like, "Do you smoke?" "No." "Do you drink?" "Sometimes." "Do you exercise?" "Hahahhahah. Oh. You're serious. No."

You say start slow - like 5 minutes running? 10 minutes jogging? 2 minutes running then 1 minute walking repeated for 30 minutes? I've heard a bunch of suggestions, but I've also heard miracle stories of sedentary, overweight people turning their lives around and running marathons. HOW do they improve - where do they start?  ;D

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2007, 01:28:42 AM »
Maybe start on elliptical machines or just brisk walking if you really feel you're out of shape.  Then graduate to jogging.  

The most difficult part of running for me has always been boredom--after 20 or 30 minutes I just get tired of doing the same thing over and over, which is why I prefer weights.  

I'm not sure I'd stick to any "10% rule" either.  Sometimes a jolt to the system is a good thing.  I don't know about others, but I can usually sense if there is something wrong, in which case I just stop.  
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:27 AM »
How do you guys start running? I hateeeeeeeeee exercise but I know it's good for me and I should do something

How do you all go for miles and miles and hours and hours? I'm like dead after a 10 minute jog  :P

You might try this program:  Couch to 5k http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Here are podcasts that make it way easier by telling you when to walk and run, and it has music:  http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2007, 01:41:36 AM »
If you are looking for healthy really good recipes try the Eating for Life cookbook.  I find it to be awesome.  Also the Body for Life program is pretty sweet too.  I use to be quite large mysef I'm 6-2 and weighed about 280 and now I am down to about 195.  Spending the extra money on food will be well worth it. 

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2007, 01:47:30 AM »
I'm in the middle of the aformentioned couch to 5K program right now.

Good stuff.

Is it really good? I just read the site - looks good. But do you just keep checking your watch every minute or can you program your music to change after a certain amount of time?
(<--- technologically inept)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2007, 01:52:34 AM »

Good stuff.

Is it really good? I just read the site - looks good. But do you just keep checking your watch every minute or can you program your music to change after a certain amount of time?

If you have an iPod, go to the second site I posted and download the nine podcasts.  The guy tells you when to change speeds and provides music in the intervals.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2007, 01:56:07 AM »

Good stuff.

If you have an iPod, go to the second site I posted and download the nine podcasts.  The guy tells you when to change speeds and provides music in the intervals.

Thanks - great link!! It's downloading now (I think)  ;D

hobbesthecat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2007, 12:51:55 PM »
The Couch to 5K plan looks great, I'm going to start it today (I really suck at running). I just wanted to throw in my two cents. While I wasn't quite as overweight to start, I've lost 21 pounds since January (I'm now 5'11'' and 172, and I'm female). I know new year's resolutions don't work for most people, but that's what did it for me. I resolved to stop eating anything fried, and to have some sort of fruit or vegetable with every meal (so- oatmeal and an apple for breakfast for example). I also cut out any extraneous oil (Pam is awesome). I'm working on the water thing, and I started out slow with the exercise but now I'm starting to crave it. I really think a few well-chosen choices that you stick to is the best way- just keep adding a few more healthy decisions once you get used to the ones you've made. From what you've written, Myshkin, I'd say start with the veggie or fruit with every meal resolution and also the eight glasses of water. I think the walking is a great plan for now because it should help relieve the stress you're feeling too. I still have about ten pounds to lose before I'm in the "fit" category as opposed to "acceptable" which is where I am now as calculated by percentage of body fat per pound (24 hour fitness has a scaled thing they use), but the only time I ever looked better was when I was a vegetarian four years ago (I also got anemic and had to stop, oh and I like meat). You can do it, and a few months should have you well on your way. I think its important to feel good about how you look at law school, because confidence makes a big difference in how you interact with others, how well you interview, etc. You'll be surprised how losing just some of the weight will make you feel- I'm three sizes smaller now, and I feel amazing. Good luck, and go to law school!