Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: rejection #1  (Read 2082 times)

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
rejection #1
« on: March 08, 2004, 03:23:09 PM »
I got a rejection letter from Boston College (my first letter so far) - now Im very worried about the rest (UCLA, BU, Hastings, and Boalt). I know Boalt is a total stretch, Im pretty sure Hastings is in the bag (grandfather alum connection)... but Id really like to go to BU --- and I know it'll be a close call.

Stats: LSAT:164, UGPA: 3.29

Anyone else heard good or bad recently? What do you think are my chances for BU?

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: rejection #1
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »
c;mon some advice - PLEASE!!! :)

habeas_dorkus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »
Are you worried about the others just because the first response you got was a rejection? Or because you think there's a similarity between the types of candidates BC and BU typically accept? I always thought of those two schools as being pretty similar, in terms of academics and the types of students they accepted. But who knows?

I can sympathize with you... after my first response from a school (an acceptance) I felt great about my chances at the rest of my schools. After my fourth response (a wait list) I felt horrible about the remaining schools. Just remember there's not necessarily a correlation. Try and consider each application as its own entity, which it is.

Also, I'm curious about why you think Hastings is in the bag. Is it because your grandfather went to school there? I was always under the impression most schools (especially public ones) didn't give alumni connections much weight.

Again, though, I'm just some guy, not an expert on these matters.

apartment

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:26:49 PM »
I went to school in Massachusetts.  BU and BC actually have very different admissions philosophies.  If you apply to both and you are well-qualified you will probably be acccepted to both, but if you are borderline at one, you are not necessarily borderline at another.  Similarly, if you are rejected from one, you are not necessarily rejected from the other.

If it's a comfort, BC had a reputational edge (at least among my set of friends) founded largely on their being slightly more numerically selective.  Being rejected from there does not mean you will be rejected from BU.  Your numbers are not particularly strong but admissions are weird, keep your fingers crossed but don't kill yourself with worry.  No one can predict with certainty what will happen.  Good luck.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking along the same lines with your comments regarding BU & BC but its always interesting to hear from others. Im orginally from right outside of SF, I just dont feel like going back yet!

habeas:I didnt mean to come off as being snotty or anything with my Hastings comment, but I yes I am confident not only with my app & scores & refs, but also because of my grandfather's stance in Cali and his continued role at Hastings.

habeas_dorkus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 03:29:14 PM »
i just wasn't sure if your confidence was coming solely from your connection to the school or from your application as a whole. i'm also from the bay area, and i applied to hastings, too, but my numbers aren't nearly as strong as yours, so i've never really been too confident about getting in there.

sounds like you're in pretty good shape!

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
I feel like you deserve an honest response.  I think your chances are slim to none at every school besides Hastings.  I know you probably looked at the LSAC calculator to gauge your chances but that is horribly inaccurate, especially considering it uses 2002 data.

In all honesty, based on your numbers alone you probably have about a 30-50% chance of being admitted to Hastings. If your grandfather is a "MAJOR" donor to the school then you are surely in the door.  If he is just a regular old alum then it probably won't help your chances by more than 10% or so. 

Did you not apply to any safety schools? 

Good luck the rest of the way!

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 09:48:53 AM »
Drew - actually yes my grandfather does drop into that category you mentioned and for that reason Hastings is my safety school. Thanks for the "honest response" - good luck.

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 01:13:34 PM »
That's good news for you.  Hastings is a great school in one of the best cities in the world.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for BU.