Law School Discussion

for those scoring 170+

flyaway

• View Profile
Re: for those scoring 170+
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 05:56:02 AM »
I never had time issues with LR.  I mean... sometimes I would run into a little time pressure, but I never actually ran out of time.  But I agree with letylyf about saving certain hard ones for the end.  Because on a really hard PR, I could come up with an answer but still keep analyzing it for awhile, and that's not good.  I would put a star next to questions that were time-consuming or that I answered but was unsure of to remind myself to come back to them at the end.

But overall I feel lucky that LR is half the test, because that section was really natural for me.  I started out missing maybe 2-5 out of 50 at the very beginning of my studying, and I ended up missing 0-3.  The only ones I didn't like were PR, and LR Bible did help me with that.

LG I do think are really fun, and I was always really accurate, but I just wasn't fast enough.  That came with learning to diagram in a really consistent manner.  I did go through LG Bible, and it helped some, in teaching me to diagram, although I didn't go strictly by their system, because certain things they did seemed counterintuitive to me.

RC was the section that probably gave me the hardest time.  That one just took practice, practice, practice.  One aspect was simply getting used to buckling down and reading carefully through passages that are not interesting to me.  In real life, I tend to skim things like that.  The other aspect was getting used to the types of questions that are asked and learning what it is that they test-makers want in response.  So, that one was gradual improvement.  I don't remember what I was missing in the beginning, but it was probably 6-8.  In the end, I was missing 0-2, though I missed 4 on the real thing and only 1 other question on the entire test.  I was disappointed in my RC score, but overall it worked out.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
Hey flyaway, I was wondering what the LGB espouses that you think is counterintuitive? :) Thank you!

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 05:57:48 AM »
Hey flyaway, I was wondering what the LGB espouses that you think is counterintuitive? :) Thank you!

It's hard for me to remember exactly now, five months from having taken the LSAT.  I think the main thing was something about how they ordered things.  I didn't think it was consistent.  Like in certain games, they would have the slowest person being #1 and the fastest person being the highest number.  And I needed to think of it in terms of who actually arrived first.

Like I said, I don't really remember, but whatever it was, it felt to me like in certain instances they were doing it the way that seemed natural to me, and in other instances they were doing the opposite.   

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 07:21:45 AM »
The only jump I experienced was when I finally got faster on logic games. Once that happened, I consistently scored 175-179. I definitely would analyze all of the answer choices rather than only put the first correct appearing answer and have four or five minutes at the end. Mark the ones you feel you are lingering on (after selecting best possible) and return to those (hopefully between 1-3). Good luck!

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
I actually just broke 170 for the first time the other night--I got a 176, and my last score had been a 166.  For me, familiarity has been the key.  Like others have said, I am really confident on LR and LG, but RC gives me trouble (at least in the past).  On the 176, I got 4 wrong on the experimental RC, and only 1 wrong on the real one--5 wrong total (I reversed the question on one of the games).  I am still not even halfway through my preparation, so I think if I can maintain where I am now (or improve if I'm lucky) I should be fine.  I have been pretty consistent with the LR, so I just want to work on games until I am sure I won't get slammed with a crazy one that catches me off-guard, and get some more familiarity with the RC.

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 04:53:45 PM »

It's hard for me to remember exactly now, five months from having taken the LSAT.  I think the main thing was something about how they ordered things.  I didn't think it was consistent.  Like in certain games, they would have the slowest person being #1 and the fastest person being the highest number.  And I needed to think of it in terms of who actually arrived first.

Like I said, I don't really remember, but whatever it was, it felt to me like in certain instances they were doing it the way that seemed natural to me, and in other instances they were doing the opposite.   

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response. :)