Law School Discussion

FAFSA not working on windows vista

FAFSA not working on windows vista
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
FAFSA application doesnít work on firefox running on windows vista. Any body knows how to make it work. I just bought a new laptop and it sucks to find out I canít fill out my fafsa on it.

Re: FAFSA not working on windows vista
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
Install GNU/Linux? :D

Seriously though, is it a firewall settings issue?  I don't know how Vista defaults on this or if you made any changes to your firewall settings that might have affected it, but that would be one of the first things I would check... I'd bet it's blocking the https/ssl/tls/port 443 connections or something. (I'm not sure where exactly you'd check this, but I'm sure if you use the help pages or poke around a bit in the firewall menus, you'll find it.)

Also, check your browser settings to make sure you've got ssl and tls enabled (in firefox, it should be under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Encryption, assuming the Windows Firefox has the same menus as the Linux firefox).

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
Install GNU/Linux? :D

Seriously though, is it a firewall settings issue?  I don't know how Vista defaults on this or if you made any changes to your firewall settings that might have affected it, but that would be one of the first things I would check... I'd bet it's blocking the https/ssl/tls/port 443 connections or something. (I'm not sure where exactly you'd check this, but I'm sure if you use the help pages or poke around a bit in the firewall menus, you'll find it.)

Also, check your browser settings to make sure you've got ssl and tls enabled (in firefox, it should be under Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Encryption, assuming the Windows Firefox has the same menus as the Linux firefox).

Windows firewall is turned off. I check firefox settings regarding SSL and TSL, both are enabled. It still dont work.
I get this messaged
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/beforebrowser_req.jsp?APPTYPE=C
Im using Firefox version 2.0.0.3  on Vista. The latest firefox version fafsa supports is 2.0.0 and that too on XP.

FAFSA application doesnít work on firefox running on windows vista. Any body knows how to make it work. I just bought a new laptop and it sucks to find out I canít fill out my fafsa on it.

try IE?

IT dont work on IE either and im getting the same exact message as mentioned above.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:04:37 PM »
I'd download an earlier version of Firefox then, since you can't do anything about IE.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »
Windows firewall is turned off. I check firefox settings regarding SSL and TSL, both are enabled. It still dont work.
I get this messaged
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/beforebrowser_req.jsp?APPTYPE=C
Im using Firefox version 2.0.0.3  on Vista. The latest firefox version fafsa supports is 2.0.0 and that too on XP.

That's just a warning screen -- just click the next button at the bottom of the screen.  Is it still not working after that? (I get/got that message too, but everything worked fine after I clicked next).

dcforlife -- I think he's still going to get the message regardless of his version of firefox since none of the browsers have been approved with Vista and the site looks at both your OS and browser to decide whether it needs to warn you. 

Is there some way to emulate XP under Vista?  If there is, you could try that.  Otherwise, if clicking next doesn't work, I'd find a school/work/library/friend's computer that runs XP to borrow for 20 minutes tomorrow...

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:14:44 AM »
dcforlife -- I think he's still going to get the message regardless of his version of firefox since none of the browsers have been approved with Vista and the site looks at both your OS and browser to decide whether it needs to warn you. 

Is there some way to emulate XP under Vista?  If there is, you could try that.  Otherwise, if clicking next doesn't work, I'd find a school/work/library/friend's computer that runs XP to borrow for 20 minutes tomorrow...
Could be. The useragent string under Vista is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0) for IE7, vs. Windows NT 5.1 for XP. It would be a bizarre thing to check, though. OS doesn't matter, just browser compatibility. But hey, it's the guvment.

Try using this tool (info here) to spoof the browser useragent: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9517DB9C-3C0D-47FE-BD04-FAD82A9AAC9F&displaylang=en

If it only changes the browser version and not the OS (and the OS is required as karin suggests) then it may not work either, but worth a shot.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:50:41 AM »

You can always use VM ware or similar. It basically runs an instance of windows XP (or any other OS for that matter) on top of the OS that you are using. The caveat is that it costs $600 (unless you get it from the dark side) and requires a copy of windows XP to install.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »

You can always use VM ware or similar. It basically runs an instance of windows XP (or any other OS for that matter) on top of the OS that you are using. The caveat is that it costs $600 (unless you get it from the dark side) and requires a copy of windows XP to install.

$600??? :o

No no no :) VMware Workstation is $189 for regular people and there's an unspecified academic discount. And VMware Server is free but unsupported on Vista.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
you are probably right...

I was under the impression that it was $600 or so, but I had never checked specifically.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »
I think your problem is IE7 not Vista.  Try to downgrade to IE6 if you can.

Or, just borrow someone else's computer.

While applying for law school, I was using a Linux box and had to install IE6 under Wine.  That worked well for the Fafsa as well.