Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Additional information for recommenders.  (Read 914 times)

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Additional information for recommenders.
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
Hey guys,
I read in some of the admission guides that it is a good idea to give recommenders some additional info about you, such as your resume and a PS, but is it really such a good idea? To me it seems that a recommender is supposed to give an academic evaluation of your skills and a personal opinion of you through interactions with the recommender. Giving additional info gives me an expression of forcing the recommender to write about stuff he might not have know about you.

I have known the recommenders who are writing my LOR's for over 2 years and I'm taking classes that they are teaching again this semester. I have a feeling that they will be able to write great academic evaluations of me.

I guess, I'm asking whether you really found it helpful for the recommenders to receive extra info on you.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Additional information for recommenders.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
anyone?

Misstra Know It All

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
I think it's a good idea to at least give them a copy of your transcript, so they can better evaluate your total academic experience.  The other stuff is fairly optional, unless you want your letters to tie in to an idea you present in your PS or something specific in your resume.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
One of my profs specifically ASKED for my transcript, resume, and personal statement (which I hadn't even written yet, I didn't end up applying until 2 years later). I also gave him copies of stuff I had written for his and some other classes.

I think it's a pretty good idea, especially if you're one of 100+ students in the class.

legally law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »
I gave my recommenders copies of the chapter that focused on recommenders from a law school book, copies of my papers (that I had written in their classes), my resume, and why I want to go to law school (which they already knew because I had been in contact with them prior to applying to law school).
Hope this helps!  :)

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 05:09:47 PM »
I gave my recommenders copies of the chapter that focused on recommenders from a law school book, copies of my papers (that I had written in their classes), my resume, and why I want to go to law school (which they already knew because I had been in contact with them prior to applying to law school).
Hope this helps!  :)

I'm thinking of giving them a copy of the chapters that concentrate on how to write a good recommendations also.

legally law

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:13 AM »
I definitely recommend this - my recommenders were business and English professors who had no clue how to write a law school recommendation, especially one that really mattered (to me).  I think they actually read the chapters that I made copies of for them, which helped them write a great letter, helping me in the end.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
one of my recommenders wouldn't write the letter until she had my PS and resume.  It kind of sucked having to wait till my PS was done but I think it is worth it to make sure your LOR writers know everything about you.  I wouldn't say it taints their ability to write an academic evaluation.  It just makes it possible for them to give the adcomms a complete picture of you.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
It's definitely a good idea to do.

For example, say you have had a bunch of classes with a history professor, and he knows you fairly well, but you aren't the bragging type so he is unaware that, for example, you were given an award by the PoliSci department.  Let's say this is a very prestigious award, the law schools won't necessarily know this....so this gives the recommender a chance to highlight just what a big deal that award is, and that he is not surprised you were so honored or blah blah blah.

Your LORs are, indeed, meant to reflect your academic fitness for law school, but an LOR that is able to give the adcomm a well-rounded picture of you as a person as well, is almost certainly stronger.