Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2010!!!

Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
I'm inclined JLG-wards. Surprised? Anyone? Bueller?

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:38 PM »

I'll be pushing it at the journals fair, but this isn't a hard sell.  JLG has by far the most supportive and caring community of any journal at HLS, perhaps more than any student organization.  I leave meetings feeling energized and optimistic, things I rarely feel elsewhere.  Some journals (not naming names) use Roberts Rules of Order for their 3 hour weekly meetings.  JLG runs like butter, challenges me,  and is such a great place to be that it's not uncommon for people to leave their 1L journal to join it as a 2L (and be shocked by the difference).

« Reply #742 on: September 12, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »
Dayum.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 12, 2007, 07:10:43 PM »

I'll be pushing it at the journals fair, but this isn't a hard sell.  JLG has by far the most supportive and caring community of any journal at HLS, perhaps more than any student organization.  I leave meetings feeling energized and optimistic, things I rarely feel elsewhere.  Some journals (not naming names) use Roberts Rules of Order for their 3 hour weekly meetings.  JLG runs like butter, challenges me,  and is such a great place to be that it's not uncommon for people to leave their 1L journal to join it as a 2L (and be shocked by the difference).

I don't know about JLG, but JOLT's acronym is also an English word.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #744 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
I'm leaning toward JLPP, any 2L's know anything about them?  Time commitment, a-hole factor, etc?

Alternate would be neg law review

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 12, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
I'm leaning toward JLPP, any 2L's know anything about them?  Time commitment, a-hole factor, etc?

You know that JLPP is for FedSoc promotion and little else, I assume.  If that's your thing, it's the best journal for you.  Some non-ideologues think it looks good on their application for clerkships and whatnot, but without other FedSoc credentials, that's somewhat questionable advise.  It's not just for FedSoc types, but I think that if that's not what you want, there are better journals for you.

And JLG is an abbreviation and not an acronym, anyway.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #746 on: September 14, 2007, 07:55:55 AM »

You know that JLPP is for FedSoc promotion and little else, I assume.  If that's your thing, it's the best journal for you.  Some non-ideologues think it looks good on their application for clerkships and whatnot, but without other FedSoc credentials, that's somewhat questionable advise.  It's not just for FedSoc types, but I think that if that's not what you want, there are better journals for you.

And JLG is an abbreviation and not an acronym, anyway.

I am thinking about FedSoc stuff, want to do a journal, mostly apathetic about the others (being a conservative white male not interesting in intrnational law or tech really rules out a lot of stuff). 

Plus, isn't JLPP more circulated than most school's law reviews?

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 14, 2007, 08:12:12 AM »
I am thinking about FedSoc stuff, want to do a journal, mostly apathetic about the others (being a conservative white male not interesting in intrnational law or tech really rules out a lot of stuff). 

Plus, isn't JLPP more circulated than most school's law reviews?

Well, the first paragraph is good reason to join JLPP, but the second is not.  Circulation doesn't mean much.  JLPP is run well and is a strong institution that can open doors if you drink deeply of the kool-aid.  I think HLPR may have a larger circulation after two issues, just because they send it to all ACS members.  If nothing else, that should show that circulation is just not that good a metric.

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 14, 2007, 04:07:25 PM »
I think I'll just spend (about the same amount of time) on a journal

I recommend JOLT.

Hi bass, I'm quite interested in JOLT.  What's the expected workload?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
I think I'll just spend (about the same amount of time) on a journal

I recommend JOLT.

Hi bass, I'm quite interested in JOLT.  What's the expected workload?

Depends on your involvement.  Go to whatever informational meeting/training they have.  Things can change semester to semester (based on my conversations with EICs, should be less work than last year).  I think the basic answer is: minimum one weekend where you're working pretty damn hard, one 2 hour training session, plus about 5 hours.