Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2010!!!  (Read 75671 times)

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #640 on: August 15, 2007, 10:51:24 PM »
We were classified according to our expected level of success in law school :D
HLS 2010

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 15, 2007, 10:59:12 PM »
I looked at the faculty evaluations for the other Section 2 professors to see if we had any particularly horrible profs, and from the evaluations that are available, it seems that they're all pretty good.

The only one that didn't have any evals (other than the visiting prof) was Prof. Jim Greiner (Civ Pro), but then I found out why: he's been appointed as an Assistant Professor starting this year!!!  From what is listed in his bio, he hasn't taught anywhere else before, so he'll be completely new.  That's a little bit scary, and I guess it sucks that we won't have any old exams of his to look at (as well as old student outlines for his course).  Grrrrrr. 

Anyways, someone mentioned earlier that there was a way of buying books beforehand: How???  Is there a way that we can get our hands on our book lists before orientation so that we can save some $$$?

Where do you find the faculty evals?
IANAL...Y

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
HLS 2010

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #643 on: August 15, 2007, 11:26:15 PM »
Whatever happened to the 2nd class that they were going to add this year? (I think the international law related one)

Is everyone going to register for that class during orientation?  If so, does that mean that the courses will be section mixes?

icequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 15, 2007, 11:30:50 PM »
Whatever happened to the 2nd class that they were going to add this year? (I think the international law related one)

Is everyone going to register for that class during orientation?  If so, does that mean that the courses will be section mixes?

Spring

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #645 on: August 15, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »
I got section 1.

We're the section assignments random or is there some reasoning behind them?

Sort of funny: my mom asked me whether they had Hanson be my section leader because he went to Yale too, and so we would have what to talk about I guess. I had to tell her that a whole hell of a lot of the law school profs went to YLS.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 16, 2007, 12:55:14 AM »
So... after reading the Meltzer ratings on the HLS site he seems to:

1.  Holds class in the traditional 'no pass' Socratic method;
2.  Make kids cry (at least in the past);
3.  Assign a heavy amount of reading, slightly if not very much so, above other similar    crim law classes;
4.  Condescend to his students if they get an answer "wrong;"
5.  Brilliant, yet cold and unwilling to bring an issue down to his students.

True?  Not?  Any additions? Subtractions?

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #647 on: August 16, 2007, 01:16:04 AM »
I'm not sure about Meltzer anymore, and I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when I finally meet him/attend his classes.

The thing that worries me is that he seems to give out a lot of work.  Lots of his students said that they thought he should use the same material and spread it over 2 semesters.  That's seems like a red flag to me.  I really hope he cuts down on his syllabus.

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #648 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:31 AM »
I'm confused about one thing. 

Before (around ASW), the administration was saying that it was going to make the certain that the profs cut down their course material in order to fit the two new courses (legislation & regulation / international).  It seems from what I've read on this forum, though, that both new classes are being added in the Spring (correct me if I'm wrong).

Does that mean that our 1st semester will be exactly the same as previous years' 1st semesters? (in which case the profs won't have to cut down on anything?)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #649 on: August 16, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
Section 6 has got Legislation in the fall. I didn't peruse the other course listings, except to thank my lucky stars I wasn't in the section (2? I think) that had property and contracts both in the fall.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.