Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2010!!!  (Read 76309 times)

Omaha8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #620 on: August 15, 2007, 03:52:07 PM »
Oh, yeah, maybe you're right about the lockers.  I guess you wouldn't need one if you live right there...

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
Oh, yeah, maybe you're right about the lockers.  I guess you wouldn't need one if you live right there...

I'm pretty sure they are for off-campus and North Hall residents only. I'm still waiting to receive my assignment, although I just confirmed my off-campus address w/ DOS yesterday.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 15, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
Spaulding, come talk *&^% with us.

I'm extra grumpy because I'm badly sunburned and I always feel stupid when that happens.  I mean, it's not like this doesn't always happen to me and yet somehow I never put on enough suntan lotion.  So here goes.

I have a lot of respect for Dan Meltzer but not as a section leader.  There aren't nice ways to say some of the things that I'm going to say, but in short he's a dedicated administrator with limited capabilities for understanding his students.  He's quite bright and a capable teacher but I don't know a single person in my section who is dying to take another course with him, let alone feels close to him or wants to be his RA.  Comparing these sentiments to what students feel about Martha Minnow, Randall Kennedy, Jon Hanson, David Barron, or Liz Warren is embarassing.  All of those listed are equally accomplished if not moreso and were significantly closer to their section.  Those section leaders are young professors producing incredible scholarship on par with (or surpassing) Meltzer's and yet it seems they do a better job of being a section leader.

It's unclear to me why Meltzer remains a section leader other than his willingness to give everything he has to the school.  It's true, Meltzer loves HLS and probably does more for it than any other professor (the section model was his idea, he chaired the new building process, etc).  His dedication is admirable and I have nothing to say that would mitigate it.  I wonder if he's a section leader because he feels it's the right thing to do, not necessarily because he's good at it.  Apparently, when he first started teaching, students would leave his Crim Law class in tears because of his obtuseness (as opposed to Dersh's aggressive insensitivity).  He's learned to handle a classroom better but not a section and I feel that obtuseness defines his leadership.  I can't think of any time I would now turn to him for advice or for assistance beyond a recommendation letter for Crim and I don't think my experience is an outlier for Section 2.  Yet Section 2 was an outlier for the rest of the 1L class in this regard.  He's great at programming and brings in speakers, but not at connecting with people or understanding his students.  Anyone who took him up on his offer to go to lunch knows what I'm getting here.  If Dan Meltzer wasn't a section leader, and had just taught me Crim, I'd be insisting that he's a great teacher.  Personally, I would have been fine having Minnow, Hanson, Warren, Kennedy, or Barron.  Hell, I would have taken Linda Krieger or Bruce Mann over him, despite the fact that they knew nothing about HLS.  I think Bass liked him because there wasn't a lot of hand-holding.  I think what might surprise him is that there wasn't any hand-holding anywhere else, but that section leaders formed relationships with their students.

DISCLAIMER:  So I have, well, a somewhat special relationship with Meltzer in that he and I had a fairly substantial disagreement over the course of the year.  Every time we met, I just felt more and more alienated and upset by him.  Perhaps not everyone who was in the same boat as I was felt this way, but Meltzer effectively divided-and-conquered and made it nearly impossible for the affected students to talk to each other or him about it.  Although unintentional, it was a pretty dispicable thing for anyone to do and the fact that he was a section leader made it so there was nobody to whom I could turn.  Even now I'm using code words.  I'm not anonymous on this board and wouldn't be surprised if some of this gets back to him.  He knows that he screwed up this situation and while we may never see eye-to-eye, I'm sure he can better interpret this post in light of what happened.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #623 on: August 15, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »
Rawther diplomatic, I thought, considering.

Selfishly glad that you think Hanson's a good section leader.

As promised, section 6's fall reading list, as best as I can reproduce. It was a little confusing.

We are taking:

CivPro with Frost:
The Subrin/Minow Civpro casebook
The "Casenote Legal Briefs" for Subrin ETA: this may be optional, but was on the shelf.
Federal Rules of CivPro ETA: I think this is also Subrin?

Crim with Weinreb:
Weinreb Criminal Law casebook
Weinreb's Leading Constitutional Cases on Criminal Justice

Legislation with Tushnet:
Heinzerling and Tushnet, The Regulatory and Administrative State
I believe a book called "Legislation and Regulation," also by Tushnet, but I'm having trouble locating it so I may have written some part of it down incorrectly

Torts with Hanson:
Apparently he doesn't use textbooks. There will be lots of handouts (a course packet), but they aren't ready yet.

Also, the guy at the coop told me that 1Ls all get Bronsteen's Writing A Legal Memo, and the Bluebook.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Omaha8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 15, 2007, 04:43:47 PM »
 :-[ How much did it set you back?

icequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »
Is this the coop on the law school campus or the one in the square?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
law school coop, and I didn't buy anything. The guy said most people look the first time they come because the registrar is not so good about sending out book lists. I'ma check half.com first. There were still a bunch of used copies there if I feel like going back this week.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

icequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2007, 04:47:37 PM »
law school coop, and I didn't buy anything. The guy said most people look the first time they come because the registrar is not so good about sending out book lists. I'ma check half.com first. There were still a bunch of used copies there if I feel like going back this week.

Did they have actual lists or did you need someone to show you around and write it down?

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 15, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »

Hanson is awesome.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #629 on: August 15, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »

Did they have actual lists or did you need someone to show you around and write it down?

No lists to take home. Yes lists attached to the shelves, which were confusingly laid out.

Hanson is awesome.

Woot! Good luck with your sunburn. I recommend solarcaine with aloe.
This sig kills fascists.