Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2010!!!  (Read 75741 times)

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2007, 02:27:47 AM »
2 questions for those that have already been through a year:

1.  How long does it normally take for profs to post grades after finals?

2.  Can you apply for 1L summer jobs before you have grades? If so what do you do, just send other info and send grades later, or try to get a job on the strength of the HLS name.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2007, 03:13:43 AM »
2 questions for those that have already been through a year:

1.  How long does it normally take for profs to post grades after finals?

2.  Can you apply for 1L summer jobs before you have grades? If so what do you do, just send other info and send grades later, or try to get a job on the strength of the HLS name.

1) Too long, but much of this is registrar, etc. issues rather than profs taking a long time.  To be fair, though, the profs have an average of like 12,000 pages of 1L exams per class to read and grade.  That's no fun.  I think it was like the second week of February before we got our grades.

2) You can apply 12/1.  Many will get offers before grades.  If you haven't found a job by February--and you would be in the majority in this case--then send your grades when they come in.  You get jobs without grades based on (a) HLS and (b) your pre-law school achievements.

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2007, 03:17:21 AM »
Good Question... Does anyone know that we can get our hands on some book lists beforehand?

Also, to have your first professorial post at HLS is a pretty big deal.  I assume this is brain is immense and that he can give us some very relevant and recent advice. 

He has a PhD in statistics, so he can also speak to the joint degree issue also.  Hopefully he won't take the rational choice perspective on the law--as most numerically gifted professors do--with cost benefit analyses.  I don't see how you can do that in civil procedure, but who am I to say, i'm a lowly one L.

His qualifications scare me, I'm afraid of "never taught this, too smart for my students" syndrome, but I've been worrying about a lot lately.

I hope he doesn't do anything goofy with class, if there is any one course I would like to just learn in a traditional way (BLL and not theory heavy) it would be Civ Pro.

I'm with you about this. I googled his name and found the article on the HLS website where it listed his credentials and announced his new position. After reading the article, I'm a little perplexed as to why they've stuck him teaching Civ.Pro. (other than his new status likely leaves him with little discretion). Hopefully he'll just stick to the black letter and we can use commercially available study aids in lieu of old exams/outlines.

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:09 PM »
So about the books...

I called the Dean of Students' Office, and they said that although they don't have the book lists, they do know that the Harvard Co-op for the law school has the lists, and all you do is go there and tell them your section number so that they can find you all the books you'll need for your section.

I called the Co-op for the law school and tried to find out if I could get my hands on the list over the telephone (under the pretense that I needed to know how much each book would cost me so I'd be prepared), but they said that they didn't have that kind of information and didn't know when they'd get it.  I don't know if they caught on to what I was trying to do or if they really don't have the book lists yet, but if anyone is in Cambridge already and has Section 2, then maybe you could tell us what's on our book list?

Please? :)

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Well, it's good to know that there are such crafty people in our section Re:  Finding the Books for the section.  I'll check back for updates, hopefully they will come before we wind up in Cambridge. 

Also, it seems that being low man on the totem pole requires that you teach what they tell you to teach.  Then again, he might actually be really enthusiastic about making Civ Pro as easy and accessible as possible to learn.  ...I hope. 

virginie dupont

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
If anyone in section 6 knows which books we need please let me know as well. I attempted emailing the guy from the HLS Coop, lets see if he responds.  Otherwise, I checked on www.hlcentral.com to see which books students were selling from last year for my courses.  However, I don't know if that's the best route... 

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »
Yeah, I'll second/third/nth the request that people post their section's reading lists here.

I'm about two hours away from heading to the airport for an ill-timed (;)) ten-day vacation, and I still don't know what section I'm in. When I get back, I'm going to have about 36 jet-lagged hours to research my profs, find my booklists, and order my books before flying out to Cambridge. So, I'll be eternally grateful to anyone who helps head off my last-minute freakout...

EDIT: Yay, I just got a call from home -- section 2!
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

ant518

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
Has anyone outside the states received their section assignment yet? Was the mail fedexed?

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »
Has anyone outside the states received their section assignment yet? Was the mail fedexed?

Why would anybody live outside the States?
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »

Why would anybody live outside the States?

poor unfortunate souls.
Yale.Law.School.2010