Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2010!!!  (Read 76298 times)

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
I'm in Section 6, why did someone say it's going to be the most difficult section ever?

How does one know which books to buy for each class? I want to get a head start on purchasing mine from Amazon, but don't want to go through the trouble of returning unnecessary books and such...  :-\

Don't worry, section 6 is the best section.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »
Duh.  ;)
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 12, 2007, 08:53:38 PM »
So this is my first time on this message board, please excuse my lateness.  I have landed in Section 2, the "early bird special" it seems.  On the bright side, we will get done during the sunlight hours of the day--most of the time. 

I'm going to be in Ames (2nd Floor). Any body else on that floor?  In my Section?  Any takers?  Haha.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #563 on: August 13, 2007, 12:13:07 AM »
So this is my first time on this message board, please excuse my lateness.  I have landed in Section 2, the "early bird special" it seems.  On the bright side, we will get done during the sunlight hours of the day--most of the time. 

I'm going to be in Ames (2nd Floor). Any body else on that floor?  In my Section?  Any takers?  Haha.

Ames 4 section two.... does so no, but close.
I'll post when I know which legal writing section.

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: August 13, 2007, 12:48:18 AM »
For those unfortunate souls (like myself) in the all-too-early Section 2...

I looked up the visiting professor guy that we're going to have for Torts, John Goldberg, and he seems to be a pretty good teacher.  He normally teaches at Vanderbilt's law school but has been a visiting professor at NYU (which is where he also got his JD). 

It seems like he's a good teacher because he won the Hall-Hartman Teaching Award (which is voted on by the students) four times, and when he was at NYU as a Visiting Prof, he got a 6.8 out of 7.0 for "overall effectiveness in teaching Torts."

Just thought you'd like to know.  Our section leader is a great teacher and Prof Goldberg seems like he'll be pretty good too, so hopefully the rest of them will make our section a really good one.  :)

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #565 on: August 13, 2007, 12:52:54 AM »
Anyone else not get their section assignment over the weekend? What about consistency with the online numbers mentioned earlier? Someone mentioned that theirs was the same - any others care to chime in?
HLS 2010

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2007, 12:55:49 AM »
I hope that we get great professors for getting up that early.  I mean, it's an exchange of sleep hours for teaching quality.  I certainly hope that it works out that way. 

However, I would warn, that there is always going to be one "jerk" of a professor in the bunch.  Almost every HLS alumni that I know has said that there's always one during your ONE L year.

Cheers to getting up early for Civ Pro et al. (or maybe a little fear). 

caribelita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: August 13, 2007, 01:14:21 AM »
I looked at the faculty evaluations for the other Section 2 professors to see if we had any particularly horrible profs, and from the evaluations that are available, it seems that they're all pretty good.

The only one that didn't have any evals (other than the visiting prof) was Prof. Jim Greiner (Civ Pro), but then I found out why: he's been appointed as an Assistant Professor starting this year!!!  From what is listed in his bio, he hasn't taught anywhere else before, so he'll be completely new.  That's a little bit scary, and I guess it sucks that we won't have any old exams of his to look at (as well as old student outlines for his course).  Grrrrrr. 

Anyways, someone mentioned earlier that there was a way of buying books beforehand: How???  Is there a way that we can get our hands on our book lists before orientation so that we can save some $$$?

sharo68

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »
Good Question... Does anyone know that we can get our hands on some book lists beforehand?

Also, to have your first professorial post at HLS is a pretty big deal.  I assume this is brain is immense and that he can give us some very relevant and recent advice. 

He has a PhD in statistics, so he can also speak to the joint degree issue also.  Hopefully he won't take the rational choice perspective on the law--as most numerically gifted professors do--with cost benefit analyses.  I don't see how you can do that in civil procedure, but who am I to say, i'm a lowly one L.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2007, 02:22:17 AM »
Good Question... Does anyone know that we can get our hands on some book lists beforehand?

Also, to have your first professorial post at HLS is a pretty big deal.  I assume this is brain is immense and that he can give us some very relevant and recent advice. 

He has a PhD in statistics, so he can also speak to the joint degree issue also.  Hopefully he won't take the rational choice perspective on the law--as most numerically gifted professors do--with cost benefit analyses.  I don't see how you can do that in civil procedure, but who am I to say, i'm a lowly one L.

His qualifications scare me, I'm afraid of "never taught this, too smart for my students" syndrome, but I've been worrying about a lot lately.

I hope he doesn't do anything goofy with class, if there is any one course I would like to just learn in a traditional way (BLL and not theory heavy) it would be Civ Pro.