Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HLS Class of 2010!!!  (Read 74153 times)

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #500 on: August 07, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »
mabye they will pull a fast one on us and scramble the section assignments.

Here's Hoping.

I want section 2.

Too bad they wont let us trade

We could switch identities.
Harvard 2010

Omaha8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 07, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
He'd have to remove the "I'm a guy" thing...

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
Bass, what all do you know about Greiner/Meltzer/Glendon/Goldberg/Triantis/Stephenson.

I know you said they were good, any more details on their teaching style?

I was mainly referring to Meltzer, who I can fill in more for.  I can also say a bit about Glendon and Triantis.

Meltzer is, first of all, one of the smartest people you'll ever meet.  I hear he was summa at hls (though I haven't seen that confirmed), which is typically a once-every-10+-years thing.  In any case, he was president of HLR and a Fay diploma winner, and his student note is one of the top 5 most cited student pieces of all time (search Volokh for this).  He wrote THE fedcts casebook and still regularly publishes in the very top journals (HLR, etc.).  Brilliant people say he is off the charts.

As to Meltzer as a prof: you'll quickly learn that he actually cares about the students as people, which is great.  He'll invite you to his house for a bbq at the end of orientation, where you'll meet his wife and have a great time.  In the classroom, he will be a bit intimidating and socratic, though he regularly asks for volunteers and occasionally lectures.  If you have something to say, you can feel comfortable raising your hand to say it, but you better be ready to defend it.  Meltzer has a way of finding  the most complex, unsolvable problems in the law you are covering, and he will make you take sides.  Then he will pick your viewpoints apart.  This is not something to be afraid of, since he doesn't do it in a mean way.  You'll probably enjoy it, and it will get you thinking like a lawyer.

One thing about Meltzer is that he does assign a bit more than the average workload, and he can be rough on people who are unprepared.

You should be ready with justifications for your positions, of which "deterrence," "efficiency," and "personal autonomy" will be good standby answers.  This might not make sense out of context, but you'll see how much sense it makes soon enough.

There are some great old Meltzer outlines that are worth grabbing on HL central.  Also, be careful come exam time to make sure to follow his directions: complete sentences and no abbreviations.

Meltzer is probably the best section leader in terms of bringing in outstanding speakers.  You will be amazed.

Re: Glendon.  We were supposed to have her, but she had to take a last-minute leave.  I can tell you that she has an interesting background (very conservative, worked for the pope or something), and that she will start you out much more on theory than others might (lotsa Locke, etc.).  I hear she's pretty socratic, but that's anecdotal.

Re: Triantis.  I've met him, and he seems like a really nice guy.  One thing that's good about having him for K's is that he is actually doing work in K's (rather than just teaching it).  He has some really novel stuff about innovative contracting.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 07, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »
I've got two visiting profs--Civ Pro and Property. My most-scariest classes. *&^%.

And a pleasant-sounding hello to Mr. Darcy.

Civpro has lots of visitors.  It's just a bunch of rules, and if you memorize the rules, you're halfway there.  You can often get old exams and outlines from the visitor's school anyway.  Don't worry too much.  I would recommend Glannon's civpro E&E, of course.

Property is also very rule-based.  I like Dukeminier's Understanding Property in the Lexis series.  Fantastic book.  Visitors are often more black-letter oriented than established profs, which makes thing easier for you (not getting blown away by wacky questions on exams like who owns the moon).

icequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 07, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
Re: Outlines

Are the HLCentral outlines usually pretty good?

EDIT: You had Mann, right?  Where did you get info (outlines, etc..) for him--looks like he was new last year?

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 07, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
When I click on "current students" I get a greeting that begins,
"Dear Incoming LL.M. Students:

Welcome to Harvard Law School!"

Does everyone get that, or did they make a mistake and put me down as an LLM?

I'm getting this too . . . and I'm not LLM.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 07, 2007, 06:28:52 PM »

EDIT: You had Mann, right?  Where did you get info (outlines, etc..) for him--looks like he was new last year?

I created a wiki for stuff like this last semester, and I posted a bunch of stuff.  You might be interested:

http://hlssection2.pbwiki.com/

icequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 07, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »

I created a wiki for stuff like this last semester, and I posted a bunch of stuff.  You might be interested:

Wow, thanks, you rock.  I may have to hit you up for information on Fried in the spring.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 07, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »

I'm not sure what section I'm in yet, but thanks for sharing info so freely here!  I hope someone in my section (whatever that may be) is willing to do the same.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 07, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
Hey, Pink!  Can't remember if I asked you, but when are you getting back to Boston?

Hey Nat,

Sorry for the late response.  I'm already in Boston, but I'm away for the next week.  I'll def. get in touch when I return.
HLS '10