Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2010!!!

Re: HLS Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
OK. So I figured out that T.H.E. must be Total Higher Education...right?

I tried to find the rates but when asked for my school in Massachusetts Harvard doesn't show up! What gives? How can I get the right information on this loan?

By the way, Katluva33, thanks for the link to projectonstudentdebt.org--the discount analyzer is a great tool!

The rates for Harvard are the same as those listed under the general "terms and conditions" menu.  I don't know why it won't come up, though.  If you just put in the state and not the school, there'll be a list of schools.  The rates for the Stafford under Boston College are the same as the ones for Harvard (I can't speak about the other kinds of loans, though).

If you decide to go with them, when you apply, it'll ask you to pick what type of grad school.  Don't pick law.  All of Harvard's graduate schools are listed under the general graduate school option.

« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2007, 02:03:06 PM »
Awww, I just got all excited for ya'll starting law school in the fall!! I remember being in the exact same place last year - trying to figure out loans, computers, etc - just take it from me - it'll all be fine! You're going to love HLS.

If you have questions, let me know!

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »
Awww, I just got all excited for ya'll starting law school in the fall!! I remember being in the exact same place last year - trying to figure out loans, computers, etc - just take it from me - it'll all be fine! You're going to love HLS.

If you have questions, let me know!

Hi Lauren, when it comes to computers, what wins out for most people, 14-inch screen or 12-inch screen?

« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2007, 02:14:35 PM »
I say there are more 14 inch ones floating around - but I have the 12 inch x-60s and I am obsessed with it.

« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2007, 03:22:56 PM »
anybody know how difficult it is to waiver HLS's medical coverage?

(I'm a youngin and still covered by my mom's health insurance)

It didn't seem very difficult. (I'm assuming my waiver got approved because the Health insurance fee isn't appearing on my ebill -- does it show up for those of you who didn't waive coverage?). 

Just go to this student health services page and read through the waiver information, then fill out the form to waive BCBS coverage. (It just asks some standard information about your health insurance; it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes if you've got your insurance card handy). 

« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:58 PM »
A question for Lauren...and anyone who might know:

If you waive your student health insurance, will the student health services accept your private health insurance? What kind of fees do they have for services if you waived their insurance?

I'll probably call tomorrow, but I think they're closed today.

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »
The insurance fee is on my e-bill, and I don't remember waiving coverage...

« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
If you waive your student health insurance, will the student health services accept your private health insurance? What kind of fees do they have for services if you waived their insurance?

I'm pretty sure you can only waive the student health fee (I think it's around $780) if you are a part-time student or studying abroad/visiting at another law school, etc for the semester. From the website:

"The Student Health Fee (SHF) covers most services provided at the Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) and includes a prescription drug benefit.  Students who apply to waive the SHF* agree to waive the prescription benefit as well, and agree to be seen on a fee-for-service basis at Harvard University Health Services for urgent care services only."

If you're still covered by a parent/spouse/whatever and have health insurance that is equivalent to their additional BCBS policy (the part that is >$2,000), you are released from your obligation to pay for the additional coverage.

« Reply #358 on: July 13, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »
That's right - you can't waive the student health fee, only the extra insurance. I wasn't able to waive the BCBS but I've never had to use it - the student health fee covers most everything you'll ever need on a day to day basis.

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »
That's right - you can't waive the student health fee, only the extra insurance. I wasn't able to waive the BCBS but I've never had to use it - the student health fee covers most everything you'll ever need on a day to day basis.

I don't really understand this.  So, even if you have health insurance that includes a prescription drug benefit and routine medical care, you cannot waive the health fees?