Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2010!!!

H4CS

• View Profile
Re: HLS Class of 2010
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
I have a question about the lottery numbers: the e-mail says that people with number 1-100 get to choose their dorms from 12-8 on Tuesday. Does that mean that if my number is something like 80, then I could conceivably pick a room before someone who didn't log on until later that day but had a lottery number of 5? Just wondering.

So like I said, it's a modified version of the traditional marriage algorithm (where each of the brides has the same ranking)  Essentially, everyone goes to their first choice pick, and the bridge (the room) tells the highest ranked suitor (you) to stay and the rest hit the road.  All who remain then go to their next highest ranked room (whatever you want) and that room tells the highest person to stay and so on.   

In practice, what this means is that you can only choose rooms that are not occupied by someone who has a higher ranked number than you.  You can be booted from a room by someone with a lower ranked number than you if they choose after you and so you choose again from the set of rooms not occupied by someone with a lower number than you.  The math behind it is pretty simple and fun.  In practice it can be incomprehensible.

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »
Hmm... it appears that 249 isn't the ideal lottery number.  I guess the fortune cookie I ate today was defective.  It said: "the winds will bring good things your way."  Bummer.

Woot woot, I beat you!  247...  :)   

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2007, 07:25:38 AM »
still no e-mail  >:(

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »

wow...

did you get an application approval email after you sent in your admissions letter?

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2007, 10:41:28 AM »

wow...

did you get an application approval email after you sent in your admissions letter?

no, I didn't.  But the housing website says my application is approved.

« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble getting onto the website mentioned in the dorm lottery e-mail for where to go for more info? Also, I have no idea where I want to live. My number's 92, so I assume that means I'll have some degree of choice about my room. I didn't see the housing when I was in Boston, so what are people's opinions of the different options? Gropius is a lot cheaper, are Hastings and North really worth the price jump? I do like the idea of my own bathroom (in North)...

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2007, 08:13:14 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble getting onto the website mentioned in the dorm lottery e-mail for where to go for more info? Also, I have no idea where I want to live. My number's 92, so I assume that means I'll have some degree of choice about my room. I didn't see the housing when I was in Boston, so what are people's opinions of the different options? Gropius is a lot cheaper, are Hastings and North really worth the price jump? I do like the idea of my own bathroom (in North)...

The website is probably this:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/housing/dorms/nextyear/

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »
Anyone else get worked (waitlisted) in the dorm lottery?   

i did! (how rude!)...does this mean that we are not guarenteed housing?

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2007, 08:42:22 AM »

The link didn't work for me either.  I emailed and they told me that the period at the end of the sentence is not supposed to be hyperlinked with the rest of the URL.  Click on the link and then delete the period at the end.  (This isn't the same site that doraemon posted, though I did the same thing last week).

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
I know a few of us are waitlisted for housing--what does that generally mean?  Are we guaranteed to get it?  Could we get "stuck" with the option of having to shell out $13k for a room in North we don't really want? 

I hate lotteries.