Law School Discussion

HLS Class of 2010!!!

HLS Class of 2010!!!
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
So I think its high time those of us going to Harvard Law have a thread to discuss all things HLS. Here we go! Who has sent in their seat deposits, is anyone still trying to decide between HLS and other schools, what dorms do you want to live in, or can someone convince me that the dorms are a bad idea? Right, that's what I have so far, have at it!

Chef Gordon Ramsay

• shut it down!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CSzabla
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HLS Class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
1. I'm sending in my deposit. Since I didn't get an envelope, though, can someone tell me what address to send it to? Same as the Admissions Office?

2. I'll (hopefully) find something worth deferring for within the next months, and drop to Class of 2011. EVERYONE at ASW seemed to think I should wait a year, as I wasn't completely gung-ho on the whole LS idea/experience.

3. Hell no am I living in the dorms, especially if I don't defer. I looked into affiliated housing and liked what I saw at 29 Garden Street, which has some units reserved for law students.

jd2bee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:44:19 PM »
Woohoo!  I'm deferring a year, so I'm actually class of 2011, but I'll join your thread.  I'm sending in my deposit next week, after declining the last scholarship I was considering.  I loved Boston and Harvard and can't wait to be there.  SoCal represent!

:)

Shark

• Dnn...Dnn..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
So the dorm issue has been pressing on my mind lately, too (especially since we have to submit our housing application tomorrow).  

1.  Gropius seems a little small and there's a good chance of the men's room being on another floor.  But it's the cheapest.  I wonder does it get too loud at night, or should it be easy to sleep/study?

2.  Hastings seems ok, but still having to share a bathroom for the increased rate isn't appealing.

3.  Having my own bathroom at North seems cool but there's the construction to worry about, and 5 Hundred dollars more per month is a lot.

Decisions.  Anyone have some good insight.

Shark

• Dnn...Dnn..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 03:49:17 PM »
1. I'm sending in my deposit. Since I didn't get an envelope, though, can someone tell me what address to send it to? Same as the Admissions Office?

2. I'll (hopefully) find something worth deferring for within the next months, and drop to Class of 2011. EVERYONE at ASW seemed to think I should wait a year, as I wasn't completely gung-ho on the whole LS idea/experience.

3. Hell no am I living in the dorms, especially if I don't defer. I looked into affiliated housing and liked what I saw at 29 Garden Street, which has some units reserved for law students.

Can you tell me a little bit more about these units?  How much? How big?

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
Those of you deferring- good for you, I took some time before going to law school, and I really feel more ready than I would have before. I think each dorm has its positives and negatives, but I would probably take the smaller and less convenient rooms at Gropius over a more expensive one, given that law school is expensive enough on its own. If you have the money though, the convenience may be worth it to choose a different dorm. Anyway, I may change my mind but that's how I see it now. Also, I don't like off-campus affiliated housing as much, since its more expensive and it seems like you'd be more separated from other law students and I'm a pretty social person who would be sad living all by myself.

Chef Gordon Ramsay

• shut it down!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CSzabla
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:04:13 PM »
Keep in mind that a lot of the dormspace is going to be taken up by foreign LLMs who might be interesting, but will not be your classmates for three years. Also, you'll have the ability to make friends in section, in clubs, and at social events. If you choose carefully, affiliated housing (which now includes some law-reserved units) is not that far away.

It's not really the room size that concerns me. And while I've dealt with the inconvenience of shared bathrooms for far too long, I could probably put up with it again. It's sharing a small kitchen with lots of people that seems like the most inconvenient part of HLS dorm life. There's no dining hall, per se, and eating out often can be expensive, so it appears that most people will have to use them, will probably do so around the same time(s), and that they'd get crowded.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:09:05 PM »
Count me in! I sent my deposit check on Tuesday - looking forward to joining the class of 2010 in August!

I'll be living off campus, about a 15 minute walk from the law school. I can't really speak to the dorms issue, since, knowing that they weren't really an option for me, I didn't go on the tour during ASW. They do seem to be a good way to make some friends, though. I kind of regret being cut off from that aspect, since being in a relationship is already a bit socially limiting. Hopefully you guys living in the dorms won't mind my visiting!

kenny32

• You're sorry I'm sorry Everybody's sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
Count me in too! I'm looking for a place in Cambridge to stay, i dont think the dorms are up my alley.

just call me elle

• pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
sooooo there. deposit's going in asap as soon as i can get it together to take some facebook pictures...