Law School Discussion

NYU Class of 2010-collect yourselves!

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: NYU Class of 2010-collect yourselves!
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
JC and Brooklyn would probably both be cheaper, from what I've seen so far. Although I've mostly looked at selling prices, I assume the trends are fairly equal anyway.

They seem cheaper, but there is some overhead associated with living off-campus: broker fees, security deposits, first & last month's rent upfront, cost of buying furniture, having to sublet apt over summer. It also seems like the closer to Manhattan you get the more expensive the housing. I'd hate to have a 30-40 minute commute to the law school.

Theres also a benefit to living 30 minutes away from school. You can get away from it all during your off time. At NYU you are literally a 2 minute walk from class from your dorm room.
Off-time? You're going to law school mate, not camp :p

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2007, 11:33:47 AM »
Theres also a benefit to living 30 minutes away from school. You can get away from it all during your off time. At NYU you are literally a 2 minute walk from class from your dorm room.

It would be a pain to have to go home and come back to the law school during the day though. And I'd have to use a locker...I swore to myself when I graduated from high school I would never, ever use lockers again as long as I lived.

I can't believe I'm going back (to high school).

JuanTwoThree

• Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
JC and Brooklyn would probably both be cheaper, from what I've seen so far. Although I've mostly looked at selling prices, I assume the trends are fairly equal anyway.

They seem cheaper, but there is some overhead associated with living off-campus: broker fees, security deposits, first & last month's rent upfront, cost of buying furniture, having to sublet apt over summer. It also seems like the closer to Manhattan you get the more expensive the housing. I'd hate to have a 30-40 minute commute to the law school.

Off-time? You're going to law school mate, not camp :p

Yes exactly. That is why you need to get away from the law school gunners as much as possible.

« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »
Yes exactly. That is why you need to get away from the law school gunners as much as possible.

Do you already live in New York?

I've been looking at Craig's List to get a feel for the prices. Do all Manhattan apartments require you to have a guarantor with monthly rent x 40 income to co-sign? There are some places on the UES, UWS and E. Village that could be doable. Also looking at Brooklyn...the Heights, Park Slope and W-burg areas seem a bit expensive but closer to Manhattan. Bedstuy is cheaper but I don't really know the area that well.

You can also look at apartments listed on the NYU network if you sign into your NYUHome account. I'm trying to decide whether I need to apply for campus housing by the 15th or not... the cheapest Mercer room (lower level) price looks doable, and I really don't want to live in D'Ag closets.

JuanTwoThree

• Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

Do you already live in New York?

I've been looking at Craig's List to get a feel for the prices. Do all Manhattan apartments require you to have a guarantor with monthly rent x 40 income to co-sign? There are some places on the UES, UWS and E. Village that could be doable. Also looking at Brooklyn...the Heights, Park Slope and W-burg areas seem a bit expensive but closer to Manhattan. Bedstuy is cheaper but I don't really know the area that well.

You can also look at apartments listed on the NYU network if you sign into your NYUHome account. I'm trying to decide whether I need to apply for campus housing by the 15th or not... the cheapest Mercer room (lower level) price looks doable, and I really don't want to live in D'Ag closets.

No but I plan on living in Queens.

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »
I was looking on craigslist for places and found this ad:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/roo/329590448.html

Basically, just a guy looking for a roommate...and wife.  Ladies, not so fast with that dorm deposit!

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2007, 03:44:32 AM »
I am most certainly not looking for a wife, no :)

ljg

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2007, 07:35:20 AM »
Bump, to keep us on the first page  :)

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »
The deadline for housing has passed. Any of you apply for it?

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2007, 08:19:42 PM »
The deadline for housing has passed. Any of you apply for it?

Not me.  Too expensive, too tiny, and my dog isn't allowed.