Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dropping out of law school  (Read 6892 times)

LawBound2004

• View Profile
    • Email
Dropping out of law school
« on: September 16, 2004, 12:07:54 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knew what an individuals chances are of gaining acceptance into law school, if he or she dropped out of a previous law school?  First, my grandmother back home is ill and second I am not very happy with my current law school choice.  Is this something that will harm my chances of getting into another school?

Thanks,

Mark

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: Dropping out of law school
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 12:11:13 PM »
I don't know much about this.  I'd see if I could transfer elsewhere instead of dropping out straight-up, but with your grandma you might be able to make a good case for why you dropped out.

ZAP

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 12:35:48 PM »
If you just started law school, this semster, put up with it and transfer out at the end of the year.  Most adcomms will not like students to drop out half way through the year, since it will leave a spring semster seat empty. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 03:12:42 PM »
don't do it. 

ruskiegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 08:18:31 PM »
I actually have a classmate who dropped out of Hastings about three weeks into the school year because he realized that he needed to take a year off between college and law school. And, look, he got into a higher ranked school than he attended originally.  I think your reason is much more justified, so, while you may want to include an addendum to explain your situation, you are not necessarily out of luck.  Of course, it's not the most impressive thing to have on your records, but I think most law school ad comms will at least consider your situation.