Law School Discussion

Good Enough

Good Enough
« on: September 16, 2004, 08:36:26 AM »
Ok.. give me odds on getting into a tier 1 school just looking at my stats.. Located below..

I know everyone hates this question.. but I am bored.. non-urm..

dr_draino

Re: Good Enough
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 08:54:18 AM »
Other than the part-time programs at GMU, GW and Gtown, I'd say you've gotta good shot drowles.

Who knows?  At least with EA at Gtown you'll know where you stand before Christmas.

Ok.. give me odds on getting into a tier 1 school just looking at my stats.. Located below..

I know everyone hates this question.. but I am bored.. non-urm..

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 08:55:35 AM »
Tier 1?  Yeah.  Especially lower Tier-1, like the 50-ish to 30-ish.  Above that, less so but apply to some reaches anyway.

ZAP

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 09:01:55 AM »
drowles, why the part-time programs?  You're not attached or anything are ya?  You can't be any older than mid-late 20s.  Just quite the *&^%-job and go where you want.  4 years of work and law school concurrently would just blow I'd think.  With the area you're thinking of going into, you'll be able to pay back the debt no problem.  Just a thought.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »
I love the optimism.. Im not so sure about EA.. I feel like its a risk... I'll probably just send in all my apps at the end of October.. So.. its early.. but its not too early..  If I got into PT at G-town I would be the happiest man alive!  *&^%.. my roommate (who I went to Tulane with) got a 165 on his first practice test.. He missed 1 in the game section.. I guess some people can just do those things.. All the tier-1 on the calculators say I have a 50% shot.. When competing against URM and phDs.. that scares me.. Not much else I can do but apply though.. Oh yeah, and try and perfect my Personal Statement..

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I got two more questions on my LSAT right (165 looks a lot better than 163)..

Hey doc, the 170s coming out like clockwork yet?!

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 09:09:03 AM »
Yeah, Im 25 will start ls at 26..  ideally i'd like to get into a full time program.. but the only programs Im interested in around DC are GMU, GW, and G-town (American does not interest me).. and my numbers are too weak for their full-time programs.. Plus, I am writing my PS in such a way that it will look like I want to continue with the Environmental track (this is simply a ploy to get accepted to the PT programs).. Once I got in, I would study Patent Law..

There is a girlfriend in the picture (I live with her and have been dating for close to 3 yrs)..  But, if I got into Emory or UGA.. or any other lower tier 1 program full-time.. I would most likely quit the "*&^% job").. Overall, you are correct PT and a job would suck ass.. But, if I could get through it (especially at G-town) without any loans I would be sittin pretty..

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 09:09:31 AM »
Yeah, about every 4th test I drop back into the high 160s, but for the most part 172-174, which I'm extatic about, but I still don't know if that'll be enough.

I'm really leaning heavy towards Boston as a location I want to be, and BU and BC just look impossible with my 2.9 GPA, no matter what LSAT/other stuff I have.  But I'm really intrigued by Northeastern's co-op approach (school full-time 1st year and then alternate between school/work each quarter the rest of the time) and also like the fact that the avg. age of 1st years last year was 26...I'm visiting there in Oct.

I love the optimism.. Im not so sure about EA.. I feel like its a risk... I'll probably just send in all my apps at the end of October.. So.. its early.. but its not too early..  If I got into PT at G-town I would be the happiest man alive!  *&^%.. my roommate (who I went to Tulane with) got a 165 on his first practice test.. He missed 1 in the game section.. I guess some people can just do those things.. All the tier-1 on the calculators say I have a 50% shot.. When competing against URM and phDs.. that scares me.. Not much else I can do but apply though.. Oh yeah, and try and perfect my Personal Statement..

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I got two more questions on my LSAT right (165 looks a lot better than 163)..

Hey doc, the 170s coming out like clockwork yet?!

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 09:12:14 AM »
I'm trying to figure the job placement in IP out.  Because I'm done with my days as a prestige whore...I just want to find good, fun work that pays fat bank when I get out.  Looking at placement out of a place like Franklin-Pierce ( ttt ), the kids that are doing IP land sweet jobs making lots of cash.  So I'm starting to not worry quite so much about the prestige of the school so much and just looking at a place where I'll be happiest and perform the best.

Yeah, Im 25 will start ls at 26..  ideally i'd like to get into a full time program.. but the only programs Im interested in around DC are GMU, GW, and G-town (American does not interest me).. and my numbers are too weak for their full-time programs.. Plus, I am writing my PS in such a way that it will look like I want to continue with the Environmental track (this is simply a ploy to get accepted to the PT programs).. Once I got in, I would study Patent Law..

There is a girlfriend in the picture (I live with her and have been dating for close to 3 yrs)..  But, if I got into Emory or UGA.. or any other lower tier 1 program full-time.. I would most likely quit the "*&^% job").. Overall, you are correct PT and a job would suck ass.. But, if I could get through it (especially at G-town) without any loans I would be sittin pretty..

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 09:22:53 AM »
  Because I'm done with my days as a prestige whore...

Now you're just going to be a money whore?

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 09:23:30 AM »
doc,

I think you would be in at BU at least if you score in the 170s. 2.9 is not bad as long as you supplement it with a nice lsat which it looks like you are on your way too.